Thursday, April 5, 2018

{Review} Rebel With A Cupcake by Anna Mainwaring

35960202
Page Count: 216
Published on: April 3, 2018
Published by: KCP Loft
Genre(s): Romance, YA, Contemporary
Source: hardback via author
Age Rating: YA
Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon // Book Depository



My Rating: 3 stars








Goodreads synopsis:


Jesobel Jones is bold and brash, the daughter of a hand model and a washed-up rock star. Jess sees no need to apologize for her rambling house, her imperfect family, her single status ... or her weight. Jess is who she is. She makes her own cupcakes and she eats them, too. No regrets.

That is, until Own Clothes Day rolls around at school. Jess and her friends dedicate the requisite hours of planning to their outfits, their hair and their makeup for the one day they are free from school uniforms. But a wardrobe malfunction leaves Jess with a pair of leggings split open at the worst spot, and a mean girl calling her the one thing that's never bothered her before: fat.

The encounter shakes Jess's formerly iron-clad confidence, and she starts to wonder if she's been just a little too comfortable in her own skin. When the boy of her dreams invites her to a party, she must decide whether to try to fit in for the first time in her life or remain true to herself --- whoever that really is.

Debut author Anna Mainwaring is a teacher by day, and her understanding of teenage life shines through on every page. This book is laugh-out-loud funny and captures teen girl life with all its ironies and contradictions.

Rebel with a Cupcake also explores important questions around body image, fat shaming, and self-confidence.

~~~

Hey, guys!

    I was sent this book for an honest review by KCP Loft. Thank you KCP Loft for this lovely book! If you'd like to see me unbox packages and haul the books I acquire randomly, then follow me on Instagram! I post them live the day I get them! {click here to follow!}

     This debut by Anna Mainwaring was a roller coaster of sass and body positivity. Overall, I thought this was a cute summer-y contemporary, but there were some aspects that really let me down. There were some character issues, some pacing issues, and some personal opinions that got in the way of this books 5-star rating. 

      I originally really enjoyed Jess's character, but she kind of went downhill and annoying. However! I do think that her attitude throughout the book was a good representation of how young girls allow their insecurity get to them. I think that this was a good representation of how the opinions of others can lead the strongest and carefree girls to allow themselves to become something they aren't. However, the changes that Jess went through were just so fast. Because it was so fast, I felt like it was a bit counterproductive because the drastic changes that she went through were just so quick. 

      Granted, I'm sure some girls are capable of going through drastic and quick changes, but it almost seemed unrealistic in this book. If the changes to her physical self was actually over a longer period of time, I felt like the book didn't convey it well enough for me to actually figure that out. It just felt so fast.This book is just short enough that I thought that it would have been more clear if the time change had been more clear. I just found it really unrealistically paced. 

     I just want to put it out there that I loved Jess. I think she's a pretty great character. She's realistic, she's spunky, she has a fantastic sassy attitude, and she has great friends who care about her. Her narration style is so fun to read and I basically read Rebel With A Cupcake in a couple sittings. I loved her so I wanted to continue the story. She was just so fun to "be" with. I loved how she stood up for herself and how different she was from the YA contemporary MC mold. However, the other characters in the books were just so easy to forget. I actually forget all of their names. They weren't as fleshed out as Jess was and they were just there. I wish the charcters in the book were more memorable. I think that would have added to the story. They were just very cliche and two-dimentional. 

     Overall, this book was average but it had a great message about mental health and body positivity. It wasn't my favorite YA contemporary, but I'm glad that I read it. If you love books about body positivity, books with great sassy characters, and fun coming of age stories, then this is for you!


~ Rebel With A Cupcake is OUT NOW! ~


Happy reading!
Olivia

~LivTheBookNerd~

No comments:

Post a Comment