Friday, March 1, 2019

February 2019 Reading Wrap Up + My Current Reads!


Hey, guys!

This past month has been sooo freaking busy. I'm so sorry that I haven't been updating you all. I'm finding that the junior years of high school and college are definitely the hardest years so far. I've managed to read much more than I anticipated and the books that I did read were so fantastic! Here are the books that I read this month (+mini reviews - for now!)

A Curse So Dark & Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer


~ 5 stars ~

      I had the pleasure of reading this book a week early, but I became so busy that I was unable to read it completely beforehand. I managed to finish the book the day after it was published and WOW-OH-WOW! I was so pleased with this book. It's definitely a new favorite and I'm unashamed to say that I bought two more of Brigid's books this month post-Curse. This book was the perfect blend of diversity, a new fantastical world, alternate universe crossing, romance, friendship, action, retelling elements, and immersive writing. I love this book so fracking much. I'm honestly still not sure how to describe why I love it so much. I'm still collecting my thoughts and I honestly want to reread the novel so that I can read a finished copy. I cannot wait for A Heart So Fierce & Broken. I already know it's going to be epic and beautiful. Bring it on, Brigid!


Shoutout to Good Choice Reading for the amazing virtual signing for Curse!


Bloom by Kevin Panetta & Savanna Ganucheau

~ 5 stars ~

       Another beautifully written story that I cannot get enough of. This book is also a new favorite that I instantly bought soon after reading it. I had been eagerly yet quietly anticipating this book for a month now and when one of the librarians pointed out the new graphic novels in our collection, I had to read it ASAP. I procrastinated my homework and binge-read the first 3/4 before the library closed and basically swallowed the last 1/4 after I got home. This story is just so beautiful, sweet, and wholesome. I absolutely love Ari and Hector. They are the soft, beautiful baking boys of my heart. I cannot wait to read more from Kevin and Savanna. This graphic novel deserves all of the stars!



Bingo Love Volume 1: Jackpot Edition by Tee Franklin, Marguerite Bennett, Gail Simone, Shawn Pryor, Jenn St. Onge, Sara Alfageeh, Paulina Ganucheau, Beverly Johnson, and Ariela Kristantina

~ 4 stars ~

I also picked this beautiful book up from my university's library (along with Be Prepared and Bloom). I've been eyeing this story since it came to our shelves and I am so glad that I read this lovely story. The story of Hazel and Mari is so beautiful, inspiring, and heartwrenching. I am, for real, so blessed to have read this book. This book follows Hazel and Mari as they fall in love in the 1960s, but are driven apart by the hands of their conservative families. Decades later, they find each other again and realize that their love is still very much alive. They take control of their lives and live the rest of their lives together. The journeys that these women face is so eye-opening and inspiring. This graphic novel needs to go viral and get into the hands of anyone and everyone. 



Be Prepared by Vera Brosgol
~ 3 stars ~

     I've been following Vera as an artist for a hot minute, but I have never really read any of her published work. I'll see clips or bits and pieces online, but I've never really picked up her work before Be Prepared. One of her other graphic novels, Anya's Ghost, was very popular when it first came out in 2011, but I haven't picked that one up either (I will soon, though because it's at the library!). Be Prepared follows Vera in a semi-autobiographical story about how she goes to a Russian summer camp. Throughout the story, Vera is trying to make friends, find herself in her culture, and to learn more about herself as a person. Though I enjoyed this story, I really didn't connect with Vera like I would have hoped. Maybe it's because I'm not nine or Russian, but I just didn't like her that much. I just didn't think there was a hopeful message at the end. It just fell flat. However, I really did enjoy the story, the illustrations, and color schemes. This is perfect for younger readers. I just didn't connect as much as I thought I would. 




Radio Silence by Alice Oseman

~ 5 stars ~

Another new favorite contemporary! February has been a fantastic month for finding new faves. It's crazy how much I enjoyed Radio Silence. I started listening to this glorious book via Hoopla over a weekend and I could not put this book down! Not only was the audio narrator fantastic (Aysha Kala), the story was absolutely enthralling. I absolutely love the characters, their stories, the diversity, the whole vibe...everything was perfect! There was never a dull moment in this book. I've never really chosen to lay in bed and finish an audiobook, but I stayed up til 2am to finish this one. This book was everything I could have asked for. I need more Alice Oseman! I recommend this book to everyone! It has everything you could want: platonic boy/girl relationships, beautiful soft boys, diverse characters, a podcast with fantasy/dystopia elements, different social media, road trips, school drama, mystery, and more! This book is too wonderful to explain. I wish I had more. I need more!



39338454
image was taken from www.goodreads.com

The Bride Test by Helen Hoang

~ 4.5 stars ~

This book was everything I could have hoped for. Not only was it just as deliciously romantic as The Kiss Quotient, the characters were also just so engaging and the plot was just so wonderfully done. I had the pleasure of reading and e-ARC from NetGalley and this book just made me sooo excited for more work from Helen Hoang. I absolutely adore her writing style, her methods of characterization, and the way she develops relationships and incorporates diverse characters and topics. I cannot wait to read the next book in this little universe. I was so thrilled to have gotten to see Stella and Michael in this book too. Their little cameo was perfect and I literally yelled when I realized that it was them. Ugh, I love Helen's characters. I cannot wait to get my hands on my preordered finished copy. 
Release Date: May 7, 2019




My Current Reads


I've also managed to have quite a few books on the back burner this month. I'm currently reading 3 books alongside the books I'm reading for school. I'm really excited to finish these awesome books and let you all know what I think of them. Keep an eye on my Goodreads and Instagram stories to know about my current reading progress!



Roomies by Christina Lauren

(via physical paperback)
As I am typing up this blog post, I'm pretty positive that I'm going to be finishing this book after I finish writing up my wrap up and book haul. This book is so much fun. I love the writing style of the authors. Their dialogue is so funny and the premises of their books are so ridiculous, but so well executed and addicting to read. I love love love Holland and Calvin's personalities. They absolutely crack me up. I cannot wait to see how the second half of this book will go. I honestly hope that I cry.
I'm currently 40% through this book.


Echo North by Joanna Ruth Meyer

(via physical hardback)
This book is also SO GOOD! Joanna's writing style is so beautiful and I cannot wait to see how this book turns out. I've been putting off finishing this book because I don't want it to end. I love the elements that she's taken from Russian folklore and culture and the basic bits from the legend of East O' the Sun West O' the Moon. It's probably tied with Beauty and the Beast as my favorite fairy tale/folk story. I cannot wait to pick up Joanna's other book, Beneath the Haunting Sea. Joanna pitches it as "Jane Eyre meets The Silmarillion" I think I need that in my life! Yes, please!
I'm currently 60% through this book.

40683413

Solitaire by Alice Oseman

(via audiobook through Hoopla)
I quickly picked started this audiobook after listening to Radio Silence, hoping for a story that was just as engaging and entertaining as RD. Unfortunately, Solitaire isn't as good as RD, but I'm still quite enjoying it. I'm not sure how I like the main character, Tori, or the audio narrator; but I really enjoy the side characters and the mystery of the plot. I'm eager to pick up more of Oseman's work after this. I love her writing style and characterization techniques. 
I'm currently 36% through this book. 

What are you guys currently reading? Let's chat in the comments!

Happy reading!
Olivia
~Liv the Book Nerd~
Twitter // Instagram // Tumblr // Goodreads // YouTube // Bloglovin // Book Depository Affiliate Code


No comments:

Post a Comment