Friday, May 3, 2019

March & April Reading Wrap Up + Mini Reviews

Hey, guys! 


I have been so ridiculously busy and stressed the past two months. Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong and I couldn't manage blogging in the middle of it. If I have to go on a hiatus again, keep an eye out for news on Twitter and Instagram. Those are more easily accessible for my quick posts.

Here are the books I read/DNF'd in March and April. It looks like I've read a lot, but trust me, it's a lot of graphic novels. I did a lot of reading in the wee hours of the night just to cope with my stress. This then made me very tired so I'm just perpetually stressed and tired. 


I'm not planning on writing full-length reviews for this batch of books, but if you'd like to read more of my in-depth thoughts, comment below and I will write up a quick review! 

Anyway! Here are the books! Enjoy!


MARCH


34466910

Roomies by Christina Lauren

Rating: 4.75 stars



I really really enjoyed this book. Christina Lauren has yet to disappoint me, so I'm excited to read more of her work. I loved the storyline and relationships that developed through this book. It was so cheesy and unrealistic, but the characters and their reactions were! I just loved this book. It was exactly what I needed. 

2209227324999113
28953806

Bee & Puppycat Volumes 1-3 by Patrick Seery, Natasha Allegri, and Ji In Kim

(Read through ebook format through Hoopla)


Volume 1: 4 stars
Volume 2: 3 stars
Volume 3: 4 stars



I started watching the little show Bee and Puppycat through YouTube a year ago and always planned on reading the comics when I could. When I found them on Hoopla to read for free I quickly snatched them up and devoured. Wow oh wow. I love these characters and the little adventures they get into. I definitely recommend these comics and the show. You can find the show {here}!



20618110

Solitaire by Alice Oseman 

(read via audio through Hoopla)
Rating: 3 stars

As soon as I finished Radio Silence, I had to pick up another book by Oseman. Unfortunately, I really didn't enjoy the audiobook for this book and I really didn't like the story until about the halfway point. I really enjoyed the end, but I just wasn't a fan of Tori. She was just too angsty and whiney for me. However! This was exactly how her character was supposed to be. Her development was really nice to read, and everything about her character was fairly realistic by the end of the book. I really love Alice Oseman's writing style. It's so quirky and lovely, but very real and dark at the same time. I can't wait to read more of her work.

40046030

Echo North by Joanna Ruth Meyer 

Rating: 4.5 stars
Another fabulous retelling of "East o' the Sun West o' the Moon"! This was such a lovely read! The writing was so captivating and engaging and I love the elements that she took from the original story, but the original mythology and imagery that she incorporated were so wonderful. I really love the magical mirror library elements and the magical system that was woven throughout the story.


31387205 36420147

Snotgirl Volumes 1 & 2 by Bryan Lee O'Malley, Leslie Hung, Mickey Quinn, and Mare Odomo


(Read through ebook format through Hoopla)
Volume 1: 3 stars
Volume 2: 2 stars

I had really only heard positive things about this series before, but when I finally picked them up, I was just disappointed with it. I really didn't like the plot, I didn't like the characters, and the only thing I did like was the art style and color schemes. This story was just so two-dimensional and surface level. The second volume was not good. It was confusing and convoluted and I wasn't sure what was even going on. Overall, I was disappointed and I probably won't be reading these anymore. 

35396841

The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo

Rating: 3 stars
(read via audio through Hoopla)
Trigger Warnings for: sexism/misogyny, homophobia, slut-shaming, abuse, sexual assault, and harassment
I managed to listen to this in one day and I'm so pleased with what I've read. The poetry was so lovely and the story was so wonderfully crafted. Acevedo also has a wonderful voice. I do not usually enjoy novels that are written in a poetry format, but I really liked how this was formulated. 

40629242

The Wicked + The Divine Volume 8: The Old is the New by Kieron Gillen, Stephanie Hans, Andre Lima Araujo, Matt Wilson, Kris Anka, and Jen Bartel

Rating: 2 stars
(read through Hoopla)

I'm not going to dwell on this volume. It was just really really disappointing and I did not have a great reading experience. If I were to reread the other volumes (which I love), I would completely skip this one. 



40597810

Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Rating: 5 stars
Originally borrowed from my campus' library & then bought for myself

Trigger/Content Warnings for: substance abuse/addiction and abortion

Guys! This book! It was so freaking wonderful. I absolutely love love love everything about this book. It's so iconic and memorable. I can't stop thinking about it, and it's almost been a full month and a half since I've finished it. The formatting of the story was so fascinating and the way that Reid connected each character's voice through their perspectives was so masterful. I do not think anyone could write a book like this again. Fantastic! I cannot wait to read more from Taylor Jenkins Reid.

20575446

In Real Life by Jen Wang and Cory Doctorow


Rating: 3 stars



This was very cute, but I felt like the economics lesson at the beginning was really annoying. I basically skipped the section after one page. I did love the art style and colors of this story, however. I'm such a big fan of Jen Wang. She's such a wonderful artist. If you haven't read her 2018 graphic novel, THE PRINCE AND THE DRESSMAKER, you definitely should. It's by far one of my favorite graphic novels. This story, unfortunately, was very one dimensional and predictable. I wish that there had been more conflict and growth for the characters. 

41150285


{DNF} The Perfect Date by Evelyn Lozada


no rating
Accessed through NetGalley


DNF'd at around 20%. 
This book was just not engaging enough for me. I really didn't like the writing style and I really didn't like the characters. I've never DNF'd a book accessed through NetGalley, but I guess this was the book that had me do it. I'm sure if you like angsty, sport-sy, romances, this might be for you, but I really didn't enjoy it. 

36258028


One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid


Rating: 4.8 stars

I loved this book! Taylor Jenkins Reid did not disappoint! I've read two of her works now and I'm just so freaking impressed with how wonderful they are. They're cheesy in the best way, but so original too. I didn't find myself guessing what would happen next and I really enjoyed the pacing. I also really loved the characters in this book. They were so realistic and so raw. Their emotions are so well done and I cannot believe that Reid did that...SHE DID THAT! I definitely recommend this book. I love it so much. 


38091822


Fight or Flight by Samantha Young


3.5-3.75 stars
Trigger/content warnings for: misogynistic comments about physical appearance, parental abuse, attempted sexual assault, abuse, domestic violence, cheating, talk of miscarriages and abortion, and slut shaming

I'm sort of on the fence when it comes to this book. It was fluffy, it was steamy, it was a bit mindless...but there are an equal amount of pros and cons to this story. I really enjoyed the enemies-to-lovers trope and the FWB aspect, but it was absolutely infuriating at times. I was so annoyed with these characters, but so completely invested in their story. I had to finish. This book could be read as questionable, but I did really enjoy it. I might pick up more from Samantha Young in the future.


APRIL

956365

On the Pulse of the Morning by Maya Angelou

Rating: 4 stars

(borrowed from the library)

I picked this up on a whim one day and I thought it was really lovely and inspiring. I definitely recommend picking it up sometime.


39296114
Book Love by Debbie Tung

 Rating:5 stars

(read through Hoopla)

This is definitely a new favorite graphic novel. The illustrations were so cute and the different panels spoke to my soul. This is perfect for any book lover. I cannot wait to buy my own copy. It was perfect.
10507293
[reread] The Selection by Kiera Cass

 Rating: 5 stars
{original review}

Ah! This was the best nostalgia. I haven't read the original Selection trilogy in about four years (my series review was one of my first ever reviews) and it was just so nice to read my favorite characters' stories again. I first read these books when I was 16 and 17 (so around America's age), so I really related to her personality. I still see myself in her. However, I'm 21 now and I definitely see why some people think she's unbearable. She's 17! I still really love these books. They're forever some of my favorites of all time. I hope Kiera Cass writes more. I miss her.
38812877
Moonstruck volume 2

Rating: 2.5 stars


(read through Hoopla)

I read this right after one of my best friends was killed in a car accident. I'm not sure if my low rating was because my heart wasn't in it, or if it's because the story wasn't good. I love the characters and I love the potential of this story, but I didn't think this progressed the plot or improved the characters. They still had the minor flaws that they had from volume 1 (which I had thought they had started to move past), so this was just a bit of a dud for me. 



40277723
41546158

Unnatural Volumes 1 & 2 by Mirka Andolfo

 Volume 1: 5 stars
Volume 2: 4.5 stars

(read through Hoopla)

A new potential favorite graphic novel series! These volumes were so much fun! I'm really loving the magical prophetic elements combined with the political upheaval and discourse. I'm really excited to see where this series goes. I definitely recommend this series if you enjoy Saga, The Wicked + The Divine, and the new Runaways. 

35833506


Taproot by Keezy Young

Rating: 5 stars


(read through Hoopla)

I absolutely adore this graphic novel. The characters are so fascinating, the spooky, mystical elements are so fun, and the little romance is so so so freaking sweet. I'd love to read a more in-depth version of this book. It's only 130ish pages, so I can definitely see the story as a more fleshed out graphic novel. I'm really excited to read more from Keezy Young. I love the art style, colors, and story. 

317500

[reread] The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

 Rating: 4.5 stars

(read physically and through Hoopla audio)

I picked this up again because I was writing a paper on Romanticism and the novel. I really enjoyed this reread. I read it through a more analytical lens and the reading experience was just as great as the first three times from my childhood. I love the characters, Narnia, and different religious undertones. I hope I can continue to reread these lovely books.

11235712
[reread] Cinder by Marissa Meyer

 Rating: 5 stars



(listened to audiobook through Hoopla)

{original Rating: 5 stars} 

Another reread! I picked this up on a whim as well via audio. I love this audiobook and this story so much. I think I've read Cinder 3 times now and every time I'm so happy while I'm reading it. I love the science fiction, fantasy, retelling mash up. The characters are wonderfully written and Meyer is such a great storyteller. I hope I can read all of her books this year. I've yet to read Heartless, the Renegades series, the Iko graphic novels, Fairest, and Stars Above. I love her writing so much, so I just need to get on it.

14748094

[reread] The Elite by Kiera Cass

Rating: 4 stars
{original review}

On with my reread of the original Selection trilogy. Surprisingly, I really didn't like this as much as my original reread. I didn't like how America kept getting in her own way and I didn't like Aspen at all. I've got to be honest, I've finished the One and I like him more than I did during my first read of the series, but I really really hated America in this one. She was hardcore annoying me. She was acting like a teenager, but man she was so stubborn. I still see a lot of myself in her and I love her, but I've grown a lot in the past five years. I was just getting frustrated with her journey to growth.


Genre/Classification Break Down

Comics and Graphic Novels: 12
YA novels: 6

Children's novels: 1

New adult/adult novels: 5

Again, I'm so sorry for going on hiatus without much of a warning on here. Things just got to be too much and I couldn't cope. My finals are finally over, so I'll be able to write more on here. 

Expect more reviews, wrap-ups, tags, writing updates for my novel, and more! I can't wait to get back into the thick of it!

Happy reading!
Olivia
Liv the Book Nerd ~



No comments:

Post a Comment