Monday, April 3, 2023

{Review} Cruel Deception (Kozlov Empire #2) by Monica Kayne


Page count: 307

Publisher: Monica Kayne

Published on: February 9, 2023

Genres: adult mafia romance, dark romance

Format: ebook from The Smuthood and the author

[Purchase Here]

Rating: 1.75/5 ✨

Spice: 1/5 rating 2/5 🌶️


CW: bullying, harassment, domestic abuse, emotional abuse, physical abuse, gun violence, blood, murder, stalking, toxic masculinity and misogyny, and confinement


- T R O P E S -

• arranged marriage

• enemies to lovers

• mafia romance

Synopsis:

He won me in a game of poker. Now I'm betting everything on him.

Daniil Kozlov is the worst kind of monster. Sinfully gorgeous , wrapped in Hugo Boss and tattoos, underneath the surface he's a snake hiding behind a veneer of easy charm .

We come from the same underworld but couldn't be more different. He's second in line to the Kozlov Bratva, a powerful player in New York's Russian mafia . I'm the niece of a Colombian cartel boss, desperate for a way out.

But after a game of high-stakes poker , I become his property.

His to use in any way he pleases.

His wife.

He seduces my body with his filthy words and dark promises , but he'll never capture my heart.

What my new husband doesn't know is that the only thing I care about is getting revenge on my family's killer. And I'll take down anyone in my path. Even him.

The Kozlov Empire is a series of interconnected standalone books about the sexy, morally gray Kozlov brothers. The books don't need to be read in order, but it's way more fun if you do! This series has no cheating, no cliffhangers, and a guaranteed happily ever after.

Review:

✨ Thank you @thesmuthood for the eARC & making me a part of the tour for the initial release. ✨

Unfortunately, I really don’t think dark mafia romance is for me. I really had a hard time pushing myself to finish this one. I honestly should have DNF’d, but I really wanted to give it an honest try.

I know that this book is beloved by its readers so far, so please just keep in mind that this concept was just not my cup of tea.

Unfortunately, this just fell flat for me. The writing style wasn’t my favorite —especially the dialogue. Overall, this felt really two dimensional and unrealistic. Now, I know that I’m supposed to suspend my disbelief when it comes to these kinds of books. That, I can do! But this was just not good for me. The characters had minimal chemistry, their relationship was really unrealistic and their sexual encounters were just really unrealistic. Their chemistry was just nonexistent and I just couldn’t get behind any of their loving encounters. It felt too forced.

When it comes to the plot, it had a decent premise, but it was just too over the top for me. I just didn’t have a great time reading this book.

I hate to be so negative because I know this book is someone’s total jam, but it wasn’t for me. I could definitely see how much the author loves to write and how in love with dark romance she is. I wish I had liked this more, but I was just a no from me.


Happy reading, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment