Friday, April 17, 2015

Material Girls by Elaine Dimopoulos



Material Girls by Elaine Dimopoulos

Page Count: 336
Published on: May 5th 2015 
Published by: HMH Books for Young Readers
Genre(s): Science Fiction, Dystopian, Contemporary, YA
Source: ARC given to me by my school librarian, which was given to her by HMH Publishing

Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon  

My Rating: 5 stars 




Goodreads synopsis:

         In Marla Klein and Ivy Wilde’s world, teens are the gatekeepers of culture. A top fashion label employs sixteen-year-old Marla to dictate hot new clothing trends, while Ivy, a teen pop star, popularizes the garments that Marla approves. Both girls are pawns in a calculated but seductive system of corporate control, and both begin to question their world’s aggressive levels of consumption. Will their new “eco-chic” trend subversively resist and overturn the industry that controls every part of their lives?
        Smart, provocative, and entertaining, this thrilling page-turner for teens questions the cult like mentality of fame and fashion. Are you in or are you out?


~~~

        This book was so good! This is definitely going to be one of my top 15 favorite books of 2015! This follows Ivy and Marla. Marla is a fashion designer and trend predictor and Ivy is a pop singer and a trend setter. They are the "gatekeepers of culture." In future, children from the ages 12-18 are considered the trend setters and at that age they are considered to be at the prime age of their lives. At the age of 12-13, children are "tapped" and sent to the company that wants to use their skills. If a company doesn't tap a child then the child continues with their education until they're 18 and they take up jobs that aren't in the artsy fields of work. 

        This book was full of moral dilemmas and values that made you think. It's really relevant to the way that when clothing styles go out of style we just throw them away. This book really informs you about being eco-friendly. 
        I really loved the whole fashion design world. I'm really really into fashion design, and I was going to go to college for fashion design but my 11th grade English teacher kind of opened my eyes about publishing and being a librarian. I plan on designing some of the eco-trend outfits from Material Girls this summer after I get done with finals, and then I'll be able to read more.

        My favorite parts were by far, when Marla her new friends started to team up. I loved the whole book! I consider it practically perfect! This book was so original and I loved it so much! I can't wait to read more of Elaine Dimopoulos's books! I wish I had my own copy of this book, but I hope I can buy it when it comes out on May 5th (...which also happens to be the day that The Heir by Kiera Cass comes out!) Everybody should read this book! 

My Favorite Character: Marla!
My Least Favorite Character: The Silents and Olivia


The ARC Cover Of Material Girls:


















There better be a second book because I need it desperately!

Until next time guys!
Olivia
~livthebooknerd~

No comments:

Post a Comment