Friday, March 6, 2020

February 2020 Reading Wrap Up


Hey, guys!

It's that time again! During the month of March, I managed to read so many lovely books! I also managed to start a bunch of tomes before the end of the month, then not completing all that I started before the end of the month. Oh well! Expect a fairly large March reading wrap up! Here are the lovely books I read in February!




35959740. sy475

Circe by Madeline Miller
2nd read: 5 stars (all the stars)


There's are so so so many reasons why this book is one of my all-time favorites, but I'll try to explain concisely.

When I first read this book, I felt like it was a bit slow; however, upon rereading I realized how crucial that pace was. Circe, the character, is thousands of years old and has experienced so much throughout the book. It just makes sense that some of the parts of the story are slower than others. That's just how life goes! 

I've explained this in my review for my first read of Circe, but I'm obsessed with her character and growth. I'm obsessed with her strong attitude and dedication to pursue her truth and power. Circe is such an inspiration and one of the most fascinating and intriguing characters I've ever read about. 

I love this book with all of my heart and soul and it deserves every award and word of praise possible. Madeline Miller is a goddess of a writer and I cannot wait to read or listen to The Song of Achilles in 2020. I'm so jazzed to dive in.

Where to Purchase:



40778901. sy475

Beyond the Shadowed Earth by Joanna Ruth Meyer
4 stars
{full review}

I had the pleasure of reading this early, however, I didn't manage to finish it before it was published because I wanted to savor the story. 

Joanna has the beautiful capability of crafting intricately developed stories, intriguing characters, and badass and addicting magical worlds. Beyond the Shadowed Earth is a companion to her other novel, Beneath the Haunting Sea, which also takes place in the same world. I believe that Earth follows sometime after Sea, but you aren't required to read Sea before Earth. I have yet to read Sea. 

This book was so magical and wonderfully crafted. I'm obsessed with the politics and the magic that shapes the world. I need need need more of the gods and the backstories of the gods. I hope there is more in Sea because I loved the mythology that this story is based on. I saw so many connections to other mythologies that I adore. This was such a wonderful read. 

The only reason that I gave this 4 stars instead of 5 was because I didn't really like Eda at all. I really love to connect to the characters and become connected to them, but Eda was just not my favorite character. She was interesting and her story was interesting, but her personality didn't jive with me.

Where To Purchase:


50540672. sx318

Beezer by Brandon T. Snider
2 stars

While this was a very nice audio performance, this story was just not stellar. The development of Beelzebub/Beezer was much too fast and unrealistic and it was all dialogue rather than a story. There were some cool noises/sound effects and the voice acting was pretty good, but this production was not an audiobook. It was missing a setting, descriptions, and originality. This story just was so lackluster. 

I liked the unconventional family that had taken in Beezer, but it just was so awkward. The dialogue was cheesy and forced.

Just disappointing. I'm glad it was only 2 hours. 

Where to Purchase:

37415

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
First read: March 2018 // no rating
2nd read: February 2020 // 3 stars

When I first read this for one of my early literature classes, I really didn't enjoy it. I ended up skimming and Sparknote-ing and just not enjoying it. This time around, I started it via audio and finished it physically and I really liked it. The ending, granted, was so slow and I didn't enjoy it as much, but the first half was wonderful and beautiful.

I really loved Janie's character, the growth she experienced, and her outlook on life and love. Her struggles and the lessons that she learned are so powerful. This is a wonderful, lyrical story about a woman finding her independence through the people she meets and the struggles that she faces. I think that all literature lovers should read it. 

Where To Purchase:

39295317

Meg, Jo, Beth, & Amy by Rey Terciero, Bre Indigo, and Louisa May Alcott
4 stars

I really loved this modern retelling of Little Women. A massive thank you to my friend Brittany for gifting me this book for Christmas. 

I'm always wary to read any sort of modern retelling of Little Women. Little Women is my favorite book of all time, a classic, and really shouldn't be changed by other authors -- that's fanfiction, and I can't do it. (I love fanfiction, but I don't like it for LW.) Though I was wary when it came to retelling this story, I so so so loved how the authors approached this modern take. Some of the lessons were a bit watered down compared to the novel, but I can't expect a 500 page graphic novel. That would just be exhausting for the authors.

Overall, the authors did a fantastic job retelling the March sisters' stories. There were quite a few changes to the story, but they made sense for the ages of the girls and the time period that the story took place in. I love the feminist take on the story and the empowerment that it instills in the reader. In this instance, I wasn't too mad about the changes because they made sense in context. 

Where to Purchase:
Amazon // Book Depository // Goodreads


39897323. sy475

Sick Kids In Love by Hannah Moskowitz
4.5 stars

Physical ARC provided by publisher and eARC provided by NetGalley


This was just so wonderful to read. I cannot believe that I waited so long to pick it up. I guess I was just worried that the illnesses that the main characters had would be romanticized or dramatized in ways that were harmful to those who were represented. However, I felt like this novel really stayed true to real life. Not only were the illnesses and the status of being chronically ill done exceptionally well (hell yeah, #ownvoices), the romance that developed was so beautiful, natural, and clever. I adored Isabel and Sasha's characters. They were wonderful protagonists to follow. Reading their love story reminded me how much fun it was to fall in love with my fiance and really reinforced my ideas that surround love.  I saw a lot of my own relationship and the ways that we fell in love in how they fell for each other.Hannah Moskowitz definitely knows what's up. What a fantastic romance novel. I'm excited that this book is a part of the YA genre because it is a true gem. I really resonated with Isabel's tendency to overthink. Her thought processes were so relatable. I love her so much. SASHA! What a sweet, soft boy. I cannot fully describe how much I adore him.
Where to Purchase:
Amazon // Book Depository // Goodreads
44280849

Go With the Flow by Lily Williams and Karen Schneemann
5 stars

Physical copy borrowed from my campus' library

This was such a fantastic graphic novel about teen girls and the struggles that come from being naturally and authentically themselves. This story follows a cast of 4 teen girls as they fight for equal treatment and equality in their school. 

This is a lovely story about friendship, what it means to be a woman, and what it means when you need to stand up for your basic rights. 

This story completely revolves around periods, but you definitely need to read this story. Please pick it up. Don't shy away from this topic. 

Where to Purchase:
Amazon // Book Depository // Goodreads

38720939. sy475

A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi
5 stars

Trigger/Content warning: Islamophobia, xenophobia, racism, physical/verbal harassment, parental abandonment

This book. Wow. This was everything. 

I have so many words that cannot possibly fit into a mini-review. Please stay tuned because a full review will be coming soon. 

Please pick up and read this book. 

Where to Purchase:
Amazon // Book Depository // Goodreads


40864836
Stargazing by Jen Wang
4 stars

This was another powerful read. (Look at me, picking up all of the powerful emotional reads before the end of February. Hello, me.) 

I really didn't go into this graphic novel knowing how powerful and emotional the story would be, but holy cow I should have just known. Jen Wang's The Prince and the Dressmaker was just so powerful and is one of my all time favorite stories. It deserves all the love, but wow! Stargazing was just as beautiful. The art was so freaking gorgeous and expressive. The colors were everything. The characters were so engaging and so inspiring in their own way. Their stories were so un-putdownable. The emotions that permeate this story are so powerful and delightful. You don't want to miss.

Where To Purchase:
Amazon // Book Depository // Goodreads 





Average Rating: 4.05 stars
Number of Pages Read: 2,438 pages

Format, Genre, & Age Break-down:

- YA: 4
- Adult: 2
- Children's: 3



- Audio: 3
- Physical: 5
- eBook: 1

- Graphic Novels: 3
- Contemporary/Romance: 2
- Class reading: 1
- Fantasy: 3


What did you read in February? What was your favorite read? Comment below!

Happy reading:
Olivia
~ Liv the Book Nerd ~

No comments:

Post a Comment