Tuesday, June 18, 2019

{Review} Circe by Madeline Miller

35959740

Page Count: 393
Published On: April 10, 2018
Published By: Little Brown & Company
Genre(s): Fantasy, Fiction, Mythology, Historical Fiction, Retelling
Source: audiobook via Audible & hardback purchased through Book of the Month
Where To Find It: Amazon // Book Depository 

My Rating: 4.75 stars










Goodreads synopsis:

In the house of Helios, god of the sun and mightiest of the Titans, a daughter is born. But Circe is a strange child—not powerful, like her father, nor viciously alluring like her mother. Turning to the world of mortals for companionship, she discovers that she does possess power—the power of witchcraft, which can transform rivals into monsters and menace the gods themselves.

Threatened, Zeus banishes her to a deserted island, where she hones her occult craft, tames wild beasts and crosses paths with many of the most famous figures in all of mythology, including the Minotaur, Daedalus and his doomed son Icarus, the murderous Medea, and, of course, wily Odysseus.

But there is danger, too, for a woman who stands alone, and Circe unwittingly draws the wrath of both men and gods, ultimately finding herself pitted against one of the most terrifying and vengeful of the Olympians. To protect what she loves most, Circe must summon all her strength and choose, once and for all, whether she belongs with the gods she is born from, or the mortals she has come to love.


~~~

Hey, guys!

I've been really meaning to read this book for the longest time. I've been a fan of Madeline Miller's prose and style for such a long time. Back in April of 2018, I picked up Circe fully intending to read it right away, but in the true Liv the Book Nerd fashion, it didn't happen! Who's surprised? (No one.)

I also read her short story, Galatea, back in January and I was instantly hooked. It's truly a masterful short story. I read it free through my library and Hoopla. If your library provides the Hoopla service, I definitely recommend Galatea. However, I did use my free trial for Audible to read Circe because it was not available through Hoopla.

Here is my review of Galatea: {click here}
Here is my BOTM book haul that features Circe: {click here}

This novel contains some themes and scenes that may trigger other readers. 
TW/CW: violence, gore, torture, physical/emotional/child abuse, suicidal thoughts, (brief scene) self harm, graphic childbirth, (mentions of) bestiality, (mention of) incest, animal sacrifice, death of siblings, death of child/ren, death, rape, adultery, and war themes and scenes

The standalone novel, Circe, follows the nymph, goddess, and witch Circe throughout her life -- from her creation and birth until the end of her life. Over the course of her life, Circe goes through many life-changing experiences that change her as a being and help her to realize her full worth and potential. This book is about love, healing, family, motherhood, and self-love. It's about finding your truth, your true chosen family, and *magic*. 

I've always been such a big nerd for mythology -- especially Greek, Roman, and Norse mythology. My love for mythology and storytelling stems from stories like The Illiad, The Odyssey, anything by Rick Riordan, Hans Christian Anderson, Peter Christen Asbjørnsen, and so many more. Stories have always been such an impactful part of my childhood and have impacted what I've chosen to do with my life. Even now, I'm writing my own story that is influenced and inspired by Norse mythology. Mythology, to me, is very important because we can learn from the lessons that the characters have experienced and try to understand the struggles of others. 


Circe is known for her role as the enchantress in The Odyssey. Odysseus and his men come to her island and attempt to take advantage of her hospitality -- stealing from her, attacking her, and just generally being pigs. So, she turns them into what they are -- she turns them into stinky swine. However, Odysseus convinces her to keep him for herself and they become lovers. He also is immune to her magic because of the aid of Hermes. He becomes distracted from his quest and he stays with Circe for a year as her lover. They eventually leave, but many believe that his stay with Circe was to teach him and others who read/listen to his tale that women are irresistible seductresses who manipulate men and are threats to men's morality and lead them astray. (Which is bullshit.)

Reading Circe was such a lovely experience. I actually listened to 90% of the book and read about 10% physically. I personally enjoyed listening to it much more than reading it physically. Circe is not a speedy quick book. You can't just pick it up and read it in a day. (However, if you did do this, more power to you. This is my personal opinion and I could never read a Madeline Miller novel in one sitting.) This story is slow, but still quite fast paced. If you enjoy slower books, but they are a bit of a drag for you to physically read, I definitely recommend the audiobook. The narrator, Perdita Weeks, was PHENOMENAL! I love her work.

So much happens in this story. So many things are shown to the reader that honestly made me have to stop and put down the book/pause the audiobook. Circe goes through so many traumatic and terrifying things that I just had to sit and THINK. While this is a really great retelling of The Odyssey, it's not just a retelling! It's Circe's story! The Odyssey plays a small part in her story -- as does Odysseus -- but this is all Circe. The Odyssey is just a small part of Circe's journey to self-fulfillment and growth. 

Circe is probably one of my new favorite protagonists -- well, she's not new, but she's new to me! She's strong, she's driven, she's flawed, she's a feminist boss ass chick! I just absolutely adore her journey and I wish that I could have more from her. I aspire to be as strong, confident, magical, and independent as Circe. I love her.

Throughout the story, readers realize that any story will be told differently by whoever tells it, but it will especially be told differently if a man tells the story. Ballads and epics will always be told to favor the hero, not the heroine. Women in the stories are witches, sorceresses, and enchantresses that need to be stopped, defeated, tamed, subdued, ended, killed. Circe is like no other hero that I've heard before. She's not a hero! She's a witch, she's an enchantress, a goddess -- she's a woman! She fights for her independence and autonomy. This is a story of a woman who is fighting for her worth. 

“They do not care if you are good. They barely care if you are wicked. The only thing that makes them listen is power.”


If you are unfamiliar with Madeline Miller's writing, I definitely recommend her work. She is a true queen of mythology and retellings. With her background in classic literature, history, languages, and her immense talents in writing, you won't be disappointed.

If you haven't already gone to put your copy on hold at the library, bought it, ordered it, etc. PLEASE DO! READ THIS BOOK!


You can order a signed and personalized copy of Madeline Miller's books {here}.

I will be going to a discussion and signing for Madeline Miller toward the end of June. I am so excited! Pictures and gushes to come to my Twitter and Instagram!

Other Retellings You Would Love:


Happy reading!
Olivia
~ Liv the Book Nerd ~


No comments:

Post a Comment