Friday, May 1, 2020

April 2020 Reading Wrap Up


Hey, guys!

April was the month for romance novels. I managed to read 17 books/novellas and I enjoyed a good majority of them. My main goal for April was to read the books that absolutely interested me and kept me captivated. I was searching for light, fluffy reads where I could sink into another world/someone's life to escape the pandemic. I definitely succeeded. I primarily read romance novels, which is something that I just cannot get enough of now. I'm officially obsessed with Tessa Dare, so expect more mentions of her on my social media and in reviews. 
Total Pages Read: 5,241
Total Number of Books Read: 17
Average Rating: 3.6 stars




~~~

9691607

Room by Emma Donoghue 


3.5 stars
TW/CW: rape, PTSD, abuse, abduction,  and kidnapping -- please research before reading

I read this for my last literature class and I quite enjoyed it. It was moving, thought-provoking, and really fun to discuss in class. It's an excellent book to read for larger discussions and it's great for newer students to learn how to analyze. We finished this book online via Zoom as COVID19 went into full swing. I'm not the biggest fan of online book discussions, but the class was really fun and it was nice to be able to talk to my classmates about such an intense and emotional read. 


25128811. sx318

Ice Planet Barbarians by Ruby Dixon


2.5 stars
Alien romance // abduction trip // TW/CW for rape and abduction
Read via ebook

Uh, wow. This was definitely out of my comfort zone, but I had a good time giving it a whirl with my friend, Mariana. This novella-length book was just not my cup of tea. I had a lot of fun (the steamy-times were pretty fun), but alien romance isn't really my favorite thing in the world. 



50365051. sy475

Boss Man Bridegroom by Meghan Quinn


3 stars
~ CEO/Boss romance, quirky, organization and planner-loving heroine, gorgeous boss hero~ 
read via ebook

Another book club/buddy read! I read Boss Man Bridegroom for the Romancetheque Book Club and I had a lot of fun with this one. I kind of like CEO/Boss romances, but it has to be done really well for me to fully suspend my disbelief. This was a really really fun read -- I was laughing out loud and yelling at the characters -- but the writing style was just not up to par for my taste. The dialogue became really cheesy or forced at times and some of the language just made me cringe. The humor, additionally, was just too much sometimes. I would laugh, but sometimes it was just overdone. 

$3.99 for Kindle or FREE with Kindle Unlimited



42899

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood #1) by J.R. Ward


3 stars
Recommended by Sarah J. Maas

This was just not my cup of tea, but I plan on continuing the series until I absolutely loath it. There's something about the characters and the world that I just want to know more about. It also helps that someone sent me the entire series in a trade for two books off of my trade pile. This book was just so mediocre and so obviously from the early 2000s. The number of name-dropped products and outdated technology mentioned was just so bizarre to behold. I felt like this book abandoned or sacrificed the plot and the world-building for the smutty romance. I would have been so more enthralled with the story and the romance if it hadn't relied on the worst tropes: insta-love/attraction, overprotective alpha holes, and badly fleshed out sacrifice. I hope that the story and world become clearer to me as the series continues on. So many people love the series and were so excited for me to start it. 

$2.99 for Kindle



43263680

Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo


4 stars

This was such a wild ride and I'm honestly surprised that I finished it when I did. I had put Ninth House down because of how intense and dark it was, but when I picked it back up, I flew through the last 40%. This was such a fun and enthralling read. I loved the characters and the world that was introduced. The magic and dark academia aspects of the story were so fascinating and I never knew what would happen next. It took me a minute to get used to how the story was formatted and set up, but once I fully understood what all was occurring and being laid out, I couldn't put it down. 


This is a Book of the Month pick. You can pick up yours for $9.99 {here} with code: MAY5


50730552. sy475


The Alien's Ransom by Ella Maven


2 stars
read via ebook 

This was a mess of a novel. I didn't enjoy the aliens and I didn't really enjoy the humans. The relationship that developed was rocky and lacked chemistry. I also didn't enjoy the steamy parts. They made me cringe. This just wasn't for me, but I had a great time discussing it with BaeCrate for their monthly buddy read situation. 

$2.99  for Kindle or FREE with Kindle Unlimited

52867387. sx318 sy475

Beach Read by Emily Henry

4.5 stars
~Writer protagonists, new to me author, BOTM pick~

Wow! What a great way introduction to Emily Henry's works. I adored reading this book. I cannot recommend it enough. It really kicked my butt into gear to start a risky writing project. You definitely need to check out this novel. It's so worth the hype.


This is a Book of the Month pick. You can pick up yours for $9.99 {here} with code: MAY5


38447. sy475

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

4 stars

THT was one of the first books I ever read for my college-level literature courses. Of course, when I first read it, I loved it. I was so enthralled by the unconventionality and different concepts that were touched on throughout the story.  However, when rereading the book, I didn't enjoy it as much. It just felt too rushed and the discussions for our class have been moved online, so it just didn't feel the same. Not to mention, it's far too dark for my mentality during the quarantine. If you've noticed my reading tastes for the past two months, you've probably seen the pattern that I've purposefully pursued -- I wanted the fluffy, mindless reads. This was anything but fluffy and mindless. It just wasn't the right time to reread. 

FREE with Kindle Unlimited


44017627

Wayward Son (Carry On #1) by Rainbow Rowell


5 stars

What a great sequel! I adore how RR continued on the development of Simon, Baz, Penny, and Agatha. Their emotional availability was so realistic considering the trauma that they faced. I love how this series is developing. I was really worried about how the storyline would play out, but I was hooked from page one. I adore adore adore this series. 

This is a Book of the Month pick. You can pick up yours for $9.99 {here} with code: MAY5

35271238

A Princess in Theory (Reluctant Royals #1) by Alyssa Cole


3 stars
listened with Hoopla

This was a really fun romance to read, but I felt like the build-up leading to the setting change was far too slow and the romance just lacked chemistry for me. They were definitely attracted to one another, but the spiritual elements of the country's goddess were underplayed and made the important aspects of their chemistry seem contrived and too convenient. 
$2.99 for Kindle

41945163. sy475

The Friend Zone by Abby Jimenez

4 stars

~ hate-to-love romance, representation for those who struggle with fertility, firefighters~ 

This was really fun, but it wasn't as good as I expected. I really enjoyed the first half of the novel, but once the conflict started panning out, I didn't enjoy it as much because I was just sad. I really do want to read the sequel/companion, but I'm not sure when that will happen. This book was really thought-provoking and the romance was really sweet. 



53180493. sy475

Guarding Temptation by Talia Hibbert

3 stars
~An overprotective hero, radical leftist heroine, one apartment + one bed~
read via ebook

This was such a fun novella. I absolutely adore Talia Hibbert's writing. She has a gift for creating realistic and wonderful characters with fantastic chemistry. This was really really fun to read, but I couldn't help but compare the writing and the couple to Chloe and Red from Get A Life, Chloe Brown. That book will always outshine other romances. 

$2.99 for Kindle


33259027. sy475

The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke #1) by Tessa Dare

5 stars
listened with Hoopla

~Marriage of convenience, brooding and scarred hero, strong and independent heroine, smoldering romance~

Be still my heart. I am obsessed with this book. A new favorite for sure! Tessa Dare is quickly becoming one of my new favorite writers. Definitely expect to see more of her books in my wrap-ups and reviews because I cannot get enough of her books. I just need need need more in my life. She's so skilled at what she does. I picked this book up on a whim the night before the #SmutAThon began and I literally listened to the first few hours in one sitting. By the time I was in chapter 5, I had ordered the physical book to have in my possession. This was everything that I was looking for. It completely captured my attention and kept me riveted to my headphones (the page). I cannot believe I waited so long to check out Tessa Dare. She's such a fantastic author.
$5.99 for Kindle




40389498. sy475

Theirs for the Night (The Thalanian Dynasty #1) by Katee Robert
3.5 stars
read via ebook

~poly-amorous relationship, short read, sexy times galore~

This was a really quick, fun, sexy read, but overall not my favorite. I really enjoyed the quick nature of the story, but it's just an introduction to a series. I thought it was really strange to start a series with a novella-length first book, but if it works it works. 

FREE FOR KINDLE!

36111620

The Governess Game (Girl Meets Duke #2) by Tessa Dare
4.75 stars
listened via Hoopla

I. AM. SO. OBSESSED. This series is so freaking addicting. I didn't want to put it down. I adore the characters Tessa Dare introduces and develops. I'm so in love with the cast of women she focuses on in this series. I cannot wait to continue on with the series in May. It was so wonderful to see such a modern woman in the regency romance genre. While I wasn't as big a fan of Chase, he still really made me laugh. I love how rakish he was and how he learned to open up to Alex, Daisy, and Rosamund. 

$4.49 on Kindle!


18052985

Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After #1) by Tessa Dare


3.5 stars
~whimsical and headstrong heroine, scarred, blinded, and hermit of a duke, enemies to lovers sort of dynamic~
read via ebook

This was really fun to read, but the beginning and the end were where the story really interested me -- the middle? Not so much. This story gave me some "Beauty and the Beast" vibes, but it was really nicely done. I really liked how Izzy encouraged and bullied Ransom to take care of himself.  The twist at the end was also a lovely surprise (I can't believe I didn't guess). I'd love to continue on with the series. I just need more Tessa Dare.

$2.99 on Kindle

52217144. sx318 sy475

His Bride for the Taking by Tessa Dare


3 stars
~ friendship-to-lovers, a marriage of convenience, one bed, older female protagonist ~
read via ebook

This wasn't my favorite Tessa Dare novella. In fact, I didn't enjoy some aspects of it. However, the Tessa Dare flare kept me really entertained and interested in how the story would progress. The plot and pacing felt really rushed and the chemistry between the two characters just felt forced and unbelievable. There was quite a lot of telling rather than showing. Of course, there are restrictions when writing a 90-page story, but I wish it had been longer and more fleshed out with flashbacks. 

FREE on Kindle


What did you read in April? Have you found yourself gravitating toward a specific trope or genre? Let's discuss in the comments below!

Happy reading and stay safe!
Olivia
~ Liv the Book Nerd ~

No comments:

Post a Comment