Tuesday, May 5, 2020

{Mini-Reviews} Alien Romance Edition: Ice Planet Barbarians & The Alien's Ransom










Hey, guys!

During this quarantine time, I've managed to pick up a ridiculous amount of romance novels from all tropes, genres, and concepts. Many of them are definitely out of my comfort zone, but here I am enjoying at least half. 

However, this review duo will not be some that I enjoyed. In fact, I read far too many romance novels that I definitely didn't love before I found what I did love. 

Here are my attempts to see if I enjoy alien romance. 

Spoiler alert: I don't.

25128811. sx318

Ice Planet Barbarians (#1) by Ruby Dixon


My Rating: 1.5 stars

Page Count: 188
Published: April 3, 2015
Published by: Ruby Dixon

Avg. Rating: 3.88 stars

Goodreads synopsis:

You'd think being abducted by aliens would be the worst thing that could happen to me. And you'd be wrong. Because now, the aliens are having ship trouble, and they've left their cargo of human women - including me - on an ice planet.

And the only native inhabitant I've met? He's big, horned, blue, and really, really has a thing for me...

TW/CW: rape, kidnapping/abduction

Amazon // Book Depository // $2.99 for Kindle or Free through Kindle Unlimited

When I first picked up this book, I didn't expect to enjoy it-- and I definitely wasn't impressed. I went in with low expectations, but a little hope, but honestly this was just too weird for me. This world and these characters are just so bizarre.

Ice Planet Barbarians follows a young woman after she's been abducted by a hostile group of aliens (they were taken to be breeding stock). After some complications, the ship crashes into a strange planet and she and the women are left to fend for themselves. The girl is found by a blue alien with strange appendages who instantly becomes attached to her. 

This story lacked any sort of plot or world-building that would actually enable me to care about the romance that develops. Not to mention, the sexual parts are quite nonconsensual and creepy. The writing was not fantastic and the story development was just mediocre. I really didn't enjoy how the book was written or how the characters were developed; however, the story was just bizarre and strange enough to keep me wondering what the author would make the characters say or do next. 

If you're looking for a quick, steamy read with an out-0f-this-world alien race, you'll like this. I've discovered that I'm not the biggest fan of alien romance, but it was pretty fun to get out of my comfort zone.

~ ~ ~

The Alien's Ransom (Drixonian Warrior #1) by Ella Maven

50730552. sy475

My Rating: 2 stars

Page Count: 244
Published: February 24, 2020
Published by: Ella Maven

Avg. Rating: 4.11 stars

Goodreads synopsis:


"Nothing in my life had prepared me for extraterrestrial motorcycle clubs."

Frankie: I thought alien abductions only happened in movies. But here I am on a strange planet with green soil and a gang of muscled, wicked-horned aliens on hover bikes. All I want to do is go back to Earth, but the alpha male in charge has decided I belong to him. Now I'm on the back of his bike speeding to an unknown destination and super freaked out about liking his biceps and serious scowl. Good thing I have some banked personal days because this might take awhile...

Daz: The job is supposed to be easy. All I have to do is deliver a spaceship of living cargo to the vile Uldani and they'll release my brother. If I fail, they'll take it out on him. Except the cargo is something I've never seen before--human females. The one called Frankie is beautiful and soft, and I've already spilled blood for her. Now how am I going to save my brother? Because this human female is mine.

TW/CW: kidnapping/abduction

Amazon //  $2.99 for Kindle or Free through Kindle Unlimited

This was such a mess of a book, but I still couldn't put it down. I picked up The Alien's Ransom for the April BaeClub group read on Facebook where we read a book together and then discuss the designated Facebook discussion area. It's a fantastic experience and it's one of the best things that I've taken part in during this quarantine time. 

This book's plot is quite similar to Ice Planet Barbarians only it has slightly different blue aliens with lots of body modifications, it takes place in a warmer climate, and the plot is established more concisely and isn't lost in the romance. However, the plot still lacks because it's still skimmed over to make way for the smutty romance. The last fourth of the novel was when the actual plot began to pick up, but I still didn't enjoy it very much.
This is a fun story, but it definitely isn't something I would continue with. Alien romance is just not for me.


Have I just been searching for the wrong alien romance titles? If you have any that you love, please let me know in the comments!

Happy reading and stay safe!
Olivia
Liv the Book Nerd ~
Twitter // Instagram // Tumblr // Goodreads // YouTube // Bloglovin // Book Depository Affiliate Code // Ko-Fi // Book of the Month



No comments:

Post a Comment