Tuesday, September 20, 2016

{DNF'd} The Tormented Witch by J.C. Beckham

30644826
Page Count: 212
Published on: June 16, 2016
Published by: Solopreneur
Genre(s): Paranormal, Fantasy, YA
Source: Paperback--Print copy provided by author
Age Rating: PG-13
Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon
Twitter: @jemma_beckham

My Rating: stars










Goodreads synopsis:


Apart from the fact that Leila Albergo was born in England, she was just like any other seventeen-year-old U.S. high schooler. That was until, by a dark twist of fate, she develops supernatural powers.
Leila is convinced that her feelings for school heartthrob Luca Jareau will remain unnoticed until he turns out to be her greatest ally. With his help, she must learn to control her magic and conceal the truth from everyone else, in order to protect the people she loves.
Leila also realizes that some friends are not always who they seem to be and that staying alive at any cost, can sometimes be too high a price to pay.’
~~~
Hey, guys!

      This book was sent to me for an honest review by J.C. Beckham. I was actually really excited to read another paranormal novel this year. I have been kind of off paranormal for a few years because I went through a huge paranormal reading phase in middle school. It started with Twilight and I went through a bunch of different sub-genres of paranormal..from witches, angels, vampires, werewolves, and demons. The paranormal and fantasy genres have shaped my reading taste and are what have made me the avid reader that I am today. 

      Unfortunately, I did not enjoy this book at all. I couldn't even get 100 pages into the book! I found the main character to be really annoying and aggravating and her actions, and her whole personality was very frustrating. While reading this book, I became really irritable and sarcastic. I would write comments in the margins of the book, and looking back, I was even sarcastic in my comments. Even within the first 80 pages, the main character would change personalities constantly. One moment she would be kind of funny and friendly, but then she would revert back to being vain and selfish and act as if she knew everything. S

      One of the characters that I met while reading the first bit of the book, Luca, was very annoying too. It was probably just because I didn't get much of an introduction, but he was very vague and he and Leila's relationship was a bit too insta-lovey for my taste. 

      Another thing, the main character would accept the weird things that were happening really quickly and she wouldn't question anything that happened or ask any questions. She even said that the stuff that was happening was ridiculous and then say something along the lines of "well what other explanation is there?" ....That isn't really acceptable and I couldn't make myself finish the book. Even at page 81, I didn't really care about the story or what would happen to the characters. 

      This book really was not for me. I would have enjoyed it much more when I was probably 12 or 13, but at age 18, it is not for me. I had too many cliche or predictable moments that it made me angry. I couldn't connect with the characters and I just didn't find myself interested in the story. I wish that I liked this book, but I don't think it came during the time of my life where I would have enjoyed it. This book was overall, very cringe-y. 


Happy reading!
Olivia
~LivTheBookNerd~
@LivTheBookNerd on Books

No comments:

Post a Comment