Tuesday, November 22, 2016

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon

1618
Page Count: 226
Published on: May 18, 2004
Published by: Vintage Contemporaries
Genre(s): YA, Fiction, Mental Health, Realistic Fiction, Contemporary
Source: Paperback -School Reading
Age Rating: PG
Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon
Twitter: @mark_haddon

My Rating: 4 stars














Goodreads synopsis:

Christopher John Francis Boone knows all the countries of the world and their capitals and every prime number up to 7,057. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions. He cannot stand to be touched. And he detests the color yellow.

Although gifted with a superbly logical brain, for fifteen-year-old Christopher everyday interactions and admonishments have little meaning. He lives on patterns, rules, and a diagram kept in his pocket. Then one day, a neighbor's dog, Wellington, is killed and his carefully constructive universe is threatened. Christopher sets out to solve the murder in the style of his favourite (logical) detective, Sherlock Holmes. What follows makes for a novel that is funny, poignant and fascinating in its portrayal of a person whose curse and blessing are a mind that perceives the world entirely literally.



~~~


Hey, guys!

      It's been a week since I've posted a review, but I've been so incredibly busy with school and work that I've only been able to read a few books these past couple months. One of them being The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time for my Literature class. I really enjoyed this book and I can't wait to read more like it.

      The Curious Incident follows fifteen-year-old Christopher Boone, an autistic teen from England. Christopher is a very logical and serious young man who is very set in his ways. Christopher has some very particular quirks that come along with his type of autism. When his neighbor's dog is mysteriously murdered, Christopher decides to investigate the murder of who killed Wellington. As he is investigating, Christopher discovers new information that could change his life forever.

      I really loved Christopher's character. His story-telling style was very bizarre, but it was exactly how he processed information and I loved how realistic it was. I have family that has been diagnosed with a form of autism, so I personally have interacted and I understand how some children with autism think. Mark Haddon has definitely done his research regarding autism. It really warms my heart to read something that represents the autistic community so well. 

      I also really loved the realistic dynamic of family. I loved how Christopher's parents were portrayed and their reactions throughout the novel were really realistic. Their emotions were very raw and interesting to read about. 

      Overall, this book was an excellent read. I'm definitely going to read more books like this. So far, this is my favorite book that I've read for this literature class. We're about half-way through the third book, but I haven't decided which of them I like best yet. 

I hope I can get more reviews up soon, but I've only read a few books in the past month, so my posts won't be as regular as usual so I apologize in advance.

Happy reading, all!
Olivia
~LivTheBookNerd~
@LivTheBookNerd on Books


No comments:

Post a Comment