Monday, December 10, 2018

2018 Let Downs: Reviews and Gripes



Hey, guys!


     There are quite a few books this year that have let me down. Some of these books are well-loved by others, but I personally did not enjoy them as much as I had anticipated. All thoughts and feelings are my own. Most of these books got a personal rating of 3 stars or lower. I was originally going to write individual reviews for each of these books, but I just didn't have enough to say about these books individually, so I hope you enjoy this new reviewing format!



22328546

Red Queen (Red Queen #1) by Victoria Aveyard ~ reread


Page Count: 383
Published on: February 10th, 2015
Published by: Harper Teen
Genre(s): Fantasy, Science Fiction, Dystopian, Young Adult, Romance

Source: Print

Where To Find ItGoodreads// Amazon  

My Rating: 2 stars

~~~
I first read this book when it came out in 2015 I really really enjoyed it. Here is my original review from 2015: {click here}

When I picked this back up, I was surprised how much I disliked this book. The main character, Mare Barrow, was so whiny and obnoxious. She just really annoyed me. I really did not like the Princes and I struggled just telling them apart. They had one or two things that distinguished their characters...their distinguishing characters were so similar, however, that I still do not remember who is who. 

Overall, this book was just underwhelming. The world building was semi-intriguing but the annoying and obnoxious characters really ruined that for me. After about half-way, the characters and plotline just fell flat.

I will not be continuing on with this series.

~~~

25528808

That Inevitable Victorian Thing by E.K. Johnston

Page Count: 330
Published on: October 3, 2017
Published by: Dutton Books for Young Readers
Genre(s): YA, Science Fiction, Alternate History, LGBTQIA+, Fiction

Source: Print

Where To Find ItGoodread // Amazon  

My Rating: 2.5 stars

~~~

I adore E.K. Johnston's writing and storytelling in A Thousand Nights, but this book really was not the best. I really really really do not ever want to read this again. I was just really disappointed by this story. Julia and I originally bought this book in January and we were very excited to get to it. 

I honestly hated the ending. The ending really ruined the story for me. It ended and wrapped up, literally, in three pages! I just was not a fan. It just wasn't satisfying. I thought that the resolution was unhealthy and unkind. There was absolutely no discussion. 

I did like: 
~ The world building - alternate 
~ The slow burn romance
~ The diverse cast
~ The LGBTQIA+ representation

I did not like:
~ The ending
~ The angst
~ The overall plot - it got really slow halfway through


~~~

19487009

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

Page Count: 324
Published on: August 5, 2014
Published by: Atria Books
Genre(s): Romance, New Adult, Contemporary

Source: Print

Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon  

My Rating: 2.5 stars

~~~

Okay. I went on a CoHo reading binge this summer and I was really hoping for more when it came to this book. So many people absolutely adore this book, but I was just disappointed. 

Here are my basic thoughts that I had provided on Goodreads:

• lacked a solid plot line
• kinda annoying female MC- she never stood up for herself EVER
• the main dude had so much emotional depth
•last 5 chapters made the book
• really great sexy scenes -CONSENT WAS THERE! HALLELUJAH
• I LOVE CAP
• potential to have a great dude friend group
• too focused on the romantic relationship. Needed more of a focus on friendship and family and anything other than the romantic relationship.


~~~

15839984

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

Page Count: 352
Published on: January 28, 2014
Published by: Balzer + Bray
Genre(s): Fantasy, YA, Romance, Retellings, Fairy Tale Retelling, Mythology

Source: Print

Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon  

My Rating: 2.5 stars

~~~

This book was just a hot mess. There were too many confusing elements to this story that did not mesh well together. I was really interested in diving into a story that meshed the stories of Beauty and the Beast and the Hades/Persephone myth. I just really did not like how this book was executed. The transitions throughout were very choppy and the story just did not flow well. The character relationships were very sketchy and I honestly barely remember how the story even ended. Overall, I was just disappointed. 

~~~

33509076

Black Bird at the Gallows by Meg Kassel

Page Count: 309
Published on: September 5, 2017
Published by: Entangled Teen
Genre(s): Fantasy, YA, Romance, Paranormal

Source: Print - via #booksfortrade

Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon  

My Rating: 2.5 stars

~~~

I was quite excited to read this series when I first acquired this book via Twitter. I was originally sent the sequel by the publisher, but I wanted to read the first book before diving into Keeper of the Bees. Unfortunately, I really did not enjoy this book. The plot was a bit of a letdown and the characters just really bore me. When the story came to the climax, I literally wanted to throw my book. I was just so mad at the main character. I was just super irritated. I don't think I will continue on with the series. I just didn't like the writing style, the paranormal aspects, or the characters. 

This book and its sequel are in my pile of unhauled books if that tells you anything...


~~~

I hope you liked this reviewing method! I've gotten really behind on reviewing this year, but I personally enjoyed reviewing in little groups. I think I will continue on with this method to get through the monumental amount of reviews that I need to write.

Happy reading, guys!
Olivia
~Liv the Book Nerd~
Twitter // Instagram // Tumblr // Goodreads // YouTube // Bloglovin // Book Depository Affiliate Code


No comments:

Post a Comment