Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath & the Dawn #2) by Renee Ahdieh

23308084
Page Count: 416
Published on: April 26, 2016
Published by: G.P. Putnam's Books For Young Readers
Genre(s): Fantasy, Retelling, Romance, YA
Source: Print: Hardback
Age Rating: PG

Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon

Twitter: @rahdieh

My Rating: 4 stars










Goodreads synopsis:

The darker the sky, the brighter the stars.

In a land on the brink of war, Shahrzad is forced from the arms of her beloved husband, the Caliph of Khorasan. She once thought Khalid a monster—a merciless killer of wives, responsible for immeasurable heartache and pain—but as she unraveled his secrets, she found instead an extraordinary man and a love she could not deny. Still, a curse threatens to keep Shazi and Khalid apart forever.

Now she’s reunited with her family, who have found refuge in the desert, where a deadly force is gathering against Khalid—a force set on destroying his empire and commanded by Shazi’s spurned childhood sweetheart. Trapped between loyalties to those she loves, the only thing Shazi can do is act. Using the burgeoning magic within her as a guide, she strikes out on her own to end both this terrible curse and the brewing war once and for all. But to do it, she must evade enemies of her own to stay alive.

The saga that began with The Wrath and the Dawn takes its final turn as Shahrzad risks everything to find her way back to her one true love again.



~~~

Hey, guys!

      My friend Julia bought this book for me when I graduated, and I'm so glad that she did. I was so excited to continue Shazi and Khalid's story. The Wrath and the Dawn made it to my Top 15 of 2015 blog post last year. I really loved the writing in The Wrath & the Dawn, and the story was really beautiful and addicting. Unfortunately, The Rose & the Dagger kind of fell flat for me. I really wanted to love this book as much as I loved The Wrath and the Dawn, but I really don't think it fulfilled my hopes like I had wished. 

      TR&tD follows Shazi and Khalid after the end fo TW&tD. I actually think the first and last parts of the book were the best parts. The middle was kind of slow for me, but then again I was quite busy with finals. Nonetheless, this book was a let down for me. TW&tD made up for the lacking plot with its fantastic characters, character development, and swoon-worthy romance. In this installment, the romance was lacking and the plot didn't really focus on Shazi and Khalid as much. This was kind of disappointing but made up for it with more in-depth information regarding Shazi's father and Tariq and his resentment towards Khalid. Although this information was interesting, it didn't hold my attention like Khalid and Shazi's relationship did in Wrath. One awesome aspect of this book that really drew me in was when Irsa was narrating. She is such a sweet and innocent girl and she was a joy to read about. 

      Ahdieh's writing is absolutely stunning. She has a way of writing that sucks you into her world and causes you to feel every emotion in the book. This book not only was gorgeously written, Ahdieh included a very dark and magical aspect to her characters that made my favorite characters even more badass. There were so many twists and turns that would literally make me gasp out loud. Some of these characters had a complete turn-around that I found to be either unrealistic or totally badass. 

      Overall, this had some very satisfying and unsatisfying moments, but I still loved it nonetheless. I really wanted more of Shazi and Khalid, but I didn't write the book, so it's not my call. A girl can dream! There were so many beautiful moments in this book that I wanted to me my life motto(s), but I really didn't have the time to tattoo them on my body while I was at work. 

My Review for The Wrath & the Dawn: {click here}


Happy reading and happy holidays!
Olivia
~LivTheBookNerd~

@LivTheBookNerd on Books Amino

No comments:

Post a Comment