Thursday, May 11, 2017

The Chronicle of Three: Bloodline by Tabitha Caplinger

26801274

Page Count: 192
Published on: November 3, 2015
Published by: Blue Ink Press
Genre(s): Paranormal, Science Fiction, YA, Fantasy
Source: Paperback - sent from the author
Age Rating: YA
Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon
Book Depository: {click here}

Twitter@Tab_Caplinger


My Rating: 3 stars







Goodreads synopsis:

Zoe thought the loss of her parents would be the most difficult thing she’d ever have to endure. When she began seeing things she couldn’t explain in her new home of Torchcreek, Virginia, she was sure the grief was driving her mad. Instead Zoe discovers she is part of an ancient bloodline, one destined to defeat the powers of darkness from condemning the world. But Zoe, the daughter of the three, isn’t just another descendant–she’s the key to humanity’s salvation. 

In this first installment of the Christian fantasy trilogy The Chronicle of the Three, Zoe Andrews learns that not all shadows are harmless interceptions of light. Some are a more sinister darkness that wants to torment the soul.

~~~

Hey, guys!

I was sent this book from the author for an honest review. 

     This book followed the main character Zoe who's parents have just tragically died. She moves in with her aunt, Claire, and they move to Torchcreek, Virginia to start again. Instead of finding a serene little town to live comfortably in, Zoe finds that she is beginning to see strange apparitions that plague her everyday life. She soon finds out that she is apart of a long bloodline of warriors who fight demons from Hell that are trying to disturb the peace of the Creator. Zoe finds out that she is the essential key to saving humanity from the dark and mysterious demons. This book is the first of three books that incorporate Christian elements throughout the story. 

     I really wanted to adore this book, but there were some aspects of the book that were sorely lacking. I found that the characters were very two dimensional. They had promise, but I genuinely want to know more about the story and about what happens to them in the second and third books. There were also so very cliche tropes that occurred throughout the book (i.e. the chosen one, forbidden love between supernatural and the non-supernatural). While these tropes were entertaining, I felt like they were underdeveloped and didn't add enough to the story. I felt like the plot points could have been expanded upon. The plot, unfortunately, was really lacking as well. I felt like it was also somewhat underdeveloped. I had so many world-building questions and I felt like should have been answered as the book continued on. I was really interested in the whole demon/dark forces aspect of the book and I really wish there was more of a complex explanation to Caplinger's rendition. 

      I also thought that events that occurred were too easy or they were too convenient. There were moments in the book that I saw coming from a mile away and some moments were there was something completely lacking. This sounds very vague, but if you have read the book, it would make much more sense. Apologies for the vague-ness. 

      I think that my favorite aspect of this book was how Caplinger incorporated the Christian faith and practices. I thought that it was done extremely well. I really enjoyed to see the characters grow and develop though the book was quite short, there was still a very prominent change in the characters. I can't wait to see how they develop in the next two books. I also was really intrigued by the relationship between Claire and Michael. I'm such a sucker for supernatural and non-supernatural relationships. I can't wait to see what happens in 

      Even though I had quite a few issues with this book, I look forward to continuing on with the series. Caplinger has begun a really intriguing and inspiring series that I can't help but be excited for. Her characters and plot have the potential to be something really fantastic. I look forward to understanding what will happen next. 

Book 2: Released February 7, 2017

33761687


Happy reading, everyone!
Olivia 
~LivTheBookNerd~

@LivTheBookNerd on Books Amino

No comments:

Post a Comment