Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

16034235
Page Count: 404
Published on: May 7, 2013
Published by: Bloomsbury 
Genre(s): High Fantasy, Fantasy, YA, Romance
Source: Paperback
Age Rating: Young Adult
Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon
Book Depository: {click here}

Twitter@SJMaas


My Rating: 4 stars
Overall Opinion: FANTASTIC! Not as great as the A Court... series, lacked the action that I expected and craved throughout.







Goodreads synopsis:

      In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.       The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.



~~~

Hey, guys!

     If you've been reading my blog for a while, you would know of my love for Sarah J. Maas and her work. Specifically the A Court of Thorns & Roses series. Well, it might be a bit of a shock, but I haven't kept up with her Throne of Glass series. I read Throne of Glass back in 2013, but because of a major book slump, I wasn't too keen on the books. I decided to reread Throne of Glass and binge read the series this year, as I've been acquiring them since last year. The main reason I finally got back to them was that of the upcoming ACOWAR release...I desperately needed an SJM fix before I took the plunge. Of course, I loved it this time around. Sarah J. Maas is a writing wizard! Since this book was Sarah's debut, I definitely could tell the difference between her earlier and later writing style. The improvement is quite obvious. A lot of my friends in the bookish community have told me that her writing isn't as fantastic in the first couple books (but still really great) but greatly improves as her books continue. I can definitely see the difference. It's fantastic and inspiring to see her abilities grow. I'm definitely going to be a long-time fan of hers.

     I, of course, read this four years ago and didn't enjoy it as much, so I didn't retain as much as I would have if I had enjoyed it like I did this past month. The amount of world-building that Maas was able to do in this book is absolutely fantastic. Sometimes when a larger series is written, the first installment is a huge info-dumpy mess where everything is established, but in Throne of Glass that wasn't the case. Don't get me wrong, there was a lot established -- the characters, the world, the magic, etc. -- but it was done so wonderfully! I don't know why I didn't enjoy this book back in 2013! It was so great!

    I only had a couple issues with this book. Sometimes I thought Celaena's character wasn't consistent all the time. I really thought she would be much more focused on her survival and be the assassin that she was described as, but I found her character really lacking. The story mainly focused on her more sensitive side and I just thought it would be more of a balance between those. Don't get me wrong, her complexity was fantastic, but the balance was a bit swayed. There were many instances where I questioned that she was really the queen of assassins. I'd like to read a prequel...maybe there will be more explained in The Assassin's Blade. I refuse to read a synopsis...

    The plot of this book was so fantastic and intricately done. I thought it dragged on for a bit towards the end, but it picked up really quickly, so I was still really impressed. Every bit of this book came into play when it came towards the end. Maas didn't leave many loose ends when it came to important world building, explaining character personalities, and such. Of course, there was a bit of a cliffhanger that left you aching for more, but it was still really satisfying. Overall, it was a good introduction to the world, but I still have lots of questions that I do not doubt will be answered as the series progresses.

     Not going to lie, I didn't enjoy the love triangle like I do others, but I still think I'm Team Chaol. The second book was actually where I got interested in the love-triangle aspect of the series. I actually was Team Dorian when I read Throne of Glass, but I've already read Crown of Midnight, so I'm just saying that as of right now I'm Team Chaol. 


    Overall, I was really impressed with Throne of Glass. The A Court of Thorns & Roses series is still much better in my opinion, but I'm still really impressed with the quality of Maas's writing. I love her books so much.

Other Maas Reviews:



Happy reading!
Olivia
~LivTheBookNerd~
@LivTheBookNerd on Books Amino

No comments:

Post a Comment