Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Fall & Early Winter 2019 Reading Wrap Up (September-December)


Hey, guys!

It's been a HOT MINUTE since I posted a reading wrap up. They're honestly more time consuming to put together than an actual book review, but I've come to the conclusion that I cannot keep posting reviews for EVERY SINGLE book that I read. It's not feasible with the lack of blogging time that I have while I'm in school. On the plus side(!), I'm nearly done with school and I will probably (most likely) blog way more after Christmas. The end of the year is my favorite time to blog because I adore compiling my end-of-year stats and raving about my favorites of the year. Anyway, please forgive me for being so silent these past several months. This is one of the most difficult semesters of my life. Honestly, 2019 has really sucked. Too much bad has happened to outweigh the wonderful. 


Anyway, I've read 34 books, graphic novels, and comics these past three months. The reading quality has leaned more toward "ugh," but the end of November and December has led to better books. 


If the picture below indicates anything, it says that I really didn't enjoy a good majority of the books I read. I either unhauled the books instantly returned them to the Hoopla app, or just didn't own them. The majority of these books were unhauled and sold to my local used book store. 


Here are the books I read in September, October, November, and December!



33917. sy475

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

2.5 stars

I really did not enjoy this book. It was beautifully diverse, instigated a good discussion in my literature class, and the characters were compelling; however, I really did not enjoy this book. 

I do not have much to say about this, but this book wasn't for me. 

39352771. sy475

Tunnel of Bones by Victoria Schwab

5 stars

I love love loved this book. This was everything I could have hoped for in a Cassidy Blake sequel. I absolutely adore this series, the characters, the writing, and the premise so much. The audiobook experience was so fantastic. I was really worried that the new narrator would ruin the experience, but this was so much fun. I cannot wait for book #3!



46114429

Rebirth (Unnatural Volume 3) by Mirka Andolfo, Gianluca Papi, Fabio Amerlia, and Giorgio Cavazzano

2 stars


This was honestly such a let down of a finale. It was rushed, it didn't make sense, and it was just messy! The ending was messy and weird, the transitions were basically nonexistent, and it was just a massive disappointment. I do not recommend this series, to be honest.

28580871. sy475

Storm (The Elementals #1) by Brigid Kemmerer

3 stars

I actually have a full review for this one! I really enjoyed this story! I cannot wait to continue with this series. I just need time!

{click here for the review!}


42872940

Rules for Vanishing by Kate Alice Marshall

3 stars

I also have a full review for this book. It was honestly a let down from what I expected. However, the magical/horror elements were really fun.

{click here for the full review!}

47185144. sy475

Harley Quinn Breaking Glass by Mariko Tamaki and Steve Pugh

3 stars

This was a really fun read at the time, but I honestly do not remember much of what happened. It was kind of forgettable. The illustrations were really beautiful and I'm pretty sure I will pick up a sequel if one popped up in my Hoopla recommended. I really like Mariko Tamaki's Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me, but this really fell flat in comparison. 


7746707

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides 

1 star
This was a nightmare to dredge through. I’m not a fan. I wish I was. Having more intersex rep is so important, but this book is just not my cup of tea.

I read this for a class this semester. I hated it so much. I tried. I really tried, but this was not for me. I would have DNF'd it right away if I had the choice. 

15724396

The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #1) by Rick Riordan

4.75 stars

2nd time reading

I had the pleasure of reading this again for my persuasion class. I got to analyze the book and directly connect it to the various theories we were learning in class. 

Magnus Chase is one of my favorite Riordan story-lines. I love love love the series so much. I'm definitely going to reread book 2 and continue with the series soon. I need more Magnus in my life.

44046860

The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club #1) by Lyssa Kay Adams

4 stars

I really enjoyed this book, but it wasn't as good as I would have hoped. Please read my full review {here}.


42835876

"Okay" (The Wicked + The Divine #9) by Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie, and Matt Wilson

4 stars

This was the finale that I was looking for. Volumes 7 and 8 had me really wondering why I was continuing with the series, but this was everything that I needed. The ending was really satisfying. I'm eager to see what the authors do next because their skills are fantastic. 


35684941

The Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblins by Clint McElroy, Griffin McElroy, Travis McElroy, and Carey Pietsch 

This was recommended to me by a fellow fantasy lover, but this DND-style graphic novel was just not my favorite. The story was really slow and I had a hard time becoming fully immersed in the plot. I really enjoyed the quirky and fun characters (flaws and all), but I think that I was missing a piece because I am unfamiliar with the podcast that the characters and people derived from. 

I do not think I will continue with this series, but I think it's a fun series to check out if you love DND and other roleplaying games.


44023338. sx318

ROAR Like a Dandelion by Ruth Krauss and Sergio Ruzzier

4 stars

This was such a fun book for very young readers. I love the little one-liners that are focused on teaching littles their ABCs. This is going to make a lot of little ones laugh. I can’t wait to pass this on to my friends who have babies.


46858996. sx318

Dewdrop by Katie O'Neill

5 stars

I loved this little book so freaking much! I have a full Katie O'Neill review up too, so please give it a read!
{click here for the full review!}


43453719

I Can Make This Promise by Christine Day

2.5 stars

This story had so much promise, but it really just fell flat for me. I really loved the discussion at the end of the novel, but the whole beginning and middle of the novel were so slow and boring. The issues that I had with the novel really squashed any hope I had for it. 

The writing was choppy, the plot and pacing were slow, the resolution to one of the conflicts was wrapped up so terribly, and it was just not a great book for me. 

I would have DNF'd this book if it hadn't been so short. I honestly regret not DNF'ing it because it was just another disappointing read for me.


22050068

White Teeth by Zadie Smith

2 stars

Another disappointing read from my literature class. Honestly, I just really did not enjoy the characters or the plot of this book. The writing style that is so prevalent in post-modern lit is just not for me. I do not think this book was executed well. 

However, it was way better than Middlesex. That's one good thing.


32667458

The Last Namsara (Iskari #1) by Kristen Ciccarelli

4.5 stars 

This was such a fun read! I had the pleasure of working with HarperCollins to read the Iskari trilogy for a massive series review that will go up once I've finished book #3. Stay tuned! Just know I really enjoyed this one!

35843937



The Caged Queen (Iskari #2) by Kristen Ciccarelli

3.5 stars

The sequel to The Last Namsara was also really excellent! I didn't enjoy it as much, but I really loved the continuation of this world and getting to know so many more characters. The main character in this book wasn't my favorite, but I still really loved the continuation of the conflict from book 1. I'll have my full thoughts up soon!

25810226. sy47535320557

Zodiac Starforce Volume 1: By the Power of Astra & Zodiac Starforce Volume 2: Cries of the Fire Prince by Kevin Panetta and Paulina Ganucheau

Vol. 1: 3 stars
Vol. 2: 4 stars

This was a really fun and colorful graphic novel, but not one of my favorites. I really loved the development of the characters and the fantastical elements of the magic and world; however, I think that there was a missing piece for me because I'm unfamiliar with the original source material. I love the art style for this series and if I could continue reading the series through my library, I definitely would. The first volume really left something to be desired. It was just okay for me, but when I started volume 2, it really started to look up. Volume 2 is really where the story and the main conflict starts to fit together. I think that the two volumes should have been put together because there wasn't enough to drive volume 1. I love the Zodiac girls. They're very relatable, cool, and really fun to follow. I'm eager to see where their stories go. 


45009940

Ophiuchus by Ali Leriger de la Plante & Natasha Tara Petrovic

2.5 stars

This story was really beautiful and I love the artistic aspect of it, but it just fell really flat story-wise. I was really bored throughout this, but I couldn't put it down. I think that I was just mainly confused because there was a lack of world-building. I really love when stories throw me in the middle of the conflict, but I felt like there was just zero world-building to make up for it. 


I loved the colors and art of this story though. This was so visually stunning and I could have stared at it for hours. I love how the colors aided the story and changed as the characters changed. 


Maybe it just wasn't my time to connect with this story. I'm not unhappy that I read this, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have hoped. 


18209268

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

5 stars

I actually read this for my literature class and I absolutely adore everything about it. This book is a new all-time-favorite. I plan on rereading it ASAP because I love love love this story. It was so much fun to discuss in class and write about for my papers. This was so brilliantly done and I cannot wait to read more from Adichie. I previously read her speech, We Should All Be Feminists, and watched it on YouTube. It's also majorly brilliant. I definitely put all of her books on my Christmas wish list. Please read this book. I have no words right now.


26032912. sy475

The Queen of Nothing (Folk of the Air #3) by Holly Black

5 stars

Okay, I'm not even sure how to sum up my feelings about this book. I'm definitely going to reread it during my holiday break because I am thoroughly deceased. This was everything I could have hoped for. I need need need more. This was perfect.


I only wish that it was 10x longer. I want a million pages about Jude and Cardan. I need more of them in my life. 


{The Cruel Prince review}

{The Wicked King review}


35144326

Bring Me Their Hearts (Bring Me Their Hearts #1) by Sara Wolf

First read: 5 stars
Second read: 4 stars 

I am so glad that I got to reread this gem! BMTH was one of my favorites from last year and I had the glorious time to reread before I started my read of Find Me Their Bones. Of course, school got in the way of my continuation of the series, but now that I'm done with school, I'll be reading it really soon! It's on my stack!


{click here for the original review} 



44493908

Wonder Twins Vol. 1: Activate! by Mark Russell and Stephen Byrne

3 stars 

When I was younger and in elementary school, my twin sister and I would run about recess pretending that we were the wonder twins. Of course, at our youngest ages, we never really paid attention to their genders. It was only in our teens that we finally realized that one of the twins was male, but that didn't stop us from loving their weird powers. I don't think that we realized that twins could be different genders. We knew twins that were different genders, but I don't think I even realized the Wonder Twins' differences until I was older. Kid-brain is real. 

This was so fun. A little slow at times, but really fun. This graphic novel/comic poked fun at the quintessential superhero and the hero vs. villain dynamic. I really love the messages behind the various parts of the storyline. 


If I can get my hands on a copy of volume 2, I'll definitely continue.

34728667

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orisha #1) by Tomi Adeyemi

First read: 5 stars
Second read: 4.5 stars

Wow wow wow! I re-read this just in time to meet Tomi Adeyemi at the beginning of December and, oh my goodness, it was just as good as I remember. The only thing I wish had been drawn out a bit more was Inan and Zelie's relationship. This book is so freaking fantastic. I cannot wait to dive into Children of Virtue and Vengeance. Read this book!

43884209

Get A Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert

5 stars

Talia Hibbert is now, officially, one of my guilty pleasure authors. Her books are so freaking funny, sexy, and I absolutely fly through them. I need more! I absolutely loved Chloe Brown and Redford Morgan. Their developing romance was so fun to follow and their chemistry was out of this world. I also really loved the representation for those who suffer and experience chronic illness and chronic pain, as well as, a person who suffered the effects of an abusive relationship. As someone who has experienced an abusive relationship and has had to deal with the effects, that character was so well done. I love love loved this book. If you love romance novels, you have to check this book out. 





48646023. sx318

The Princess Trap by Talia Hibbert

3 stars

Another Talia Hibbert novel! I listened to this through my public library. This was really entertaining and really fun, but I also felt like it was rushed and unrealistic. I love going into books and stalling my disbelief, but this was supposed to be realistic romance--- but it was just so far fetched and written in a way that I could not in good conscious take it seriously. I don't even think this book took itself seriously. However, the story and the romance was SUPER FUN! I was thoroughly entertained and I love Hibbert's writing. I'll definitely continue reading her work.


118944


American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

3 stars

This was a really fun, original, and complex story. I really loved how the three stories eventually became intertwined at the end of the graphic novel. This was a really lovely read and I'm so glad I could read it this year.

A massive shout out to Dr. White for gifting me this book! 



36640831. sy475

Merry Inkmas by Talia Hibbert

3 stars

Another Talia Hibbert! I originally picked this up because Talia Hibbert had mentioned it on her Instagram page, it was cheap, so I picked it up! Talia Hibbert is quickly becoming a new fascination. 

This story was really fun, but I did have some issues with it. The build-up was quite slow or felt really slow. The time that passes in this story was just not done as well as I would have hoped. It supposedly happened over 2-3 months, but it really felt like a week. There were also some major insta-love vibes. This comes with the genre, but I felt like the characters just didn't jive well with my sensibilities. Also, the conclusion and resolution were really jammed packed and I felt it was too fast. Overall, this was fun, but not the best. 


44286100

Odd Dog Out by Rob Biddulph

4.5 stars

This picture book was graciously gifted to me by the publisher, Harper Collins.

This was such a sweet and visually stunning book. This is a great resource to encourage young readers to be unabashedly themselves. I definitely recommend it for your younger reader babies. 

Image result for little women book cover"

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

5 stars
(it's always 5 stars)

Little Women is one of my all-time favorite books. I've probably read it 15 times at least. However, it's been a hot minute...I think it's been 6 years since my last reread, so I was so excited to read this again. I picked up this book via audiobook through my public library and I loved the whole experience so much. I'm just so in love with Louisa May Alcott's writing. She is the literal best and is one of my top 3 favorite authors of all time. She hasn't been booted for the longest time and I don't think she ever will. 

This was such a wonderful time. I cannot wait to see the new 2019 adaption of the movie.


Image result for this winter alice oseman" 

This Winter (Solitaire #0.5) by Alice Oseman

4 stars

This short story takes place before the events of Solitaire and takes place during the Christmas holiday. Holy crap, guys! This was so wholesome and wonderful. This short story/novella deals with some really dark and troubling topics when following the characters, but the resolution was just so wonderful and heartwarming. The overall focus of this book is finding your found family and embracing the people that genuinely care for you, as well as, figuring out how to handle interactions with your family when times are hard. 

This was so wonderful to read in the wee hours of Christmas morning and after the events of Christmas morning with my family. It was exactly what I needed. 

43263331

The Beast of Beswick by Amalie Howard

3.5 stars

Thank you, Entangled Teen, for sending me an eARC of this book. This was such a fun story and I loved the characters that I got to get to know as the story progressed. When going into a story like this -- a "bodice ripper"/historical romance, I tend to have low standards for the story, the language, the plot, and the content. This was a surprisingly delightful and had so many more threads of feminism that I really enjoyed. I think I will read the sequel because it sounds even more compelling than this one.

40024139

Serpent and Dove by Shelby Mahurin 

4.5 stars

This was phenomenal! I absolutely adore the juxtaposition between the two groups, the witches and the church. This seemed so above and beyond compared to some of the debuts that I've read. I'm so freaking impressed with this story! I instantly fell in love with Lou, Reid, Coco, and Ansel. I love their dynamics and I love the hate to love romance that occurs as well. I'm such a hoe for hate to love romances and this really hit the spot. This was also a perfect mixture of fantasy and romance. Lately, I've been on a romance-heavy kick when it comes to my reading and this just hit the spot for me. I absolutely adored reading this book. I couldn't put it down. I cannot wait for book #2 to come out in 2020.

Reading Format Stats:

Audiobook: 5
eBook:  11
Physical: 16
2+ of the above: 2

What did you read these past few months? Let's discuss in the comments!

Happy reading!
Olivia
~ Liv the Book Nerd ~


No comments:

Post a Comment