Friday, January 3, 2020

Top 19 of 2019 Reads


Hey, guys!

This year has been such a great reading year. I read over 150 books and managed to read a wider variety of books compared to some of the past years. This year was a year of rereads, adult fantasy, and branching out. I'm so happy with what I read, but I cannot wait to dive into more books in 2020. 

I didn't think I'd actually have 19 favorites from 2019, but when compiling these books, I instantly picked out 19. I also have some fantastic runner ups, so stay tuned for those too! 

Here are my top 19 reads from 2019!




Full disclosure. Discussing my favorite books tends to result in cookie-cutter gushes. I just adore these books and sometimes it's much easier to hate a book than love it -- or at least it's easier to discuss why I hate/dislike a book than if I absolutely adore it. Please read these books.

I also do not think I have a #1 favorite from this stack. I'm so passionate about Daisy, Circe, TWK, QON, Curse, and RW&RB that I cannot decide which of them are my favorites. As I type this, I really want to just bold them all because they are all so phenomenal, but I'm reigning myself in. You're welcome. I'll bold those 6 to indicate which of them are my top faves, but please read these books because they are so wonderful and meaningful stories that I hold so dear to my heart. 

If you need a book recommendation or if you want to read any of these and need help or advice on where to start, DM me or email me! @livthebooknerd on Instagram or livthebooknerdblog@gmail.com! 


Top 19 of 2019:

  1. Circe by Madeline Miller 
    • 5 stars
    • This book has just stuck with me since I read it this summer. The beauty of the prose and the voice of Circe has just stuck with me and I cannot fully explain what this book means to me, but I will try. Not only does this perfectly encapsulate a woman's experience, it perfectly interweaves Greek mythology and introduces a misrepresented and underhyped character. Circe is everything. 
  2. Daisy Jones + The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
    • 5 stars
    • This book. What a unique and horribly fascinating story. I absolutely love the interview and personal history aspect of the story. The way that Reid weaves the various character's stories together is so genius. I cannot wait to read her next novel and to read the backlisted titles that I didn't get to in 2019. I read this physically, but I definitely recommend the audiobook too. It's probably the best way to do it.
  3. Get A Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert
    • 4.5 stars
    • This was such a fun and diverse sort of romance book. It was quite cheesy and fluffy but had so much substance that made it so freaking original and fun. I love the representation (black girl rep, chronic pain rep, abusive relationship rep) that was throughout this book. It was so well thought out and just so much fun. I listened to this via audiobook and the audiobook narrator was so phenomenal. 
  4. A Curse So Dark & Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
    • 5 stars
    • This book was such a wonderful fantasy debut from Kemmerer. I love her contemporary fiction, but this really takes the cake. I absolutely adore the magic, the world, the characters, and the conflict. This was just too fun for words and I cannot recommend it enough. I cannot wait for A Heart so Fierce and Broken!
  5. Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson
    • 4.75 stars
    • This was also everything. I absolutely loved the magic system, the magical libraries with the monster books, the tall female protagonist, the bisexual male romantic partner, and a cat-like secretly caring demon servant friend. I just loved everything about this book. Margaret Rogerson can do no wrong.
  6. The Wicked King (Folk of the Air #2) by Holly Black
    • 5 stars
    • This is everything. I died consistently while reading this book. The twist at the end made me so anxious to read QON at the end of the year. A whole year to wait was so agonizing.
  7. The Queen of Nothing (Folk of the Air #3) by Holly Black
    • 5 stars 
    • This was the finale that I needed. I was so freaking impressed. Holly Black also set up some characters to have continued stories and I need it now.
  8. Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young
    • 4.8 stars
    • This Viking/Scandanavian inspired story was EVERYTHING! I adore Aska and Fiske to the moon and back and I cannot wait to continue reading The Girl the Sea Gave Back and the ARC of Fable that I have. Adrienne Young is an instant new favorite author. I adore her.
  9. Tunnel of Bones by V.E./Victoria Schwab
    • 4.5 stars
    • This was just so fantastic! I adore everything about Victoria Schwab's middle-grade writing. Her magic worlds are so addicting and I cannot wait for book #3 and to read more of her work in 2020.
  10. With the Fire On High by Elizabeth Acevedo
    • 4 stars
    • This was such a wonderfully written novel. I adore Elizabeth Acevedo's writing and her characters so much. I listened to this via audio and I definitely recommend it for your experience. This was such a poignant and important novel. I cried so hard at the end and throughout the story.
  11. Radio Silence by Alice Oseman
    • 5 stars
    • This book was everything I needed. Please read this via audiobook. This is everything you need in a contemporary. 
  12. Nevernight by Jay Kristoff
    • 4.9 stars
    • This book is everything that I needed in a fantasy novel. Not only was it masterfully done, it was smart and full of snark and sass. I cannot wait to continue on with Godsgrave and Darkdawn in 2020. I need it.
  13. Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crowe by Jessica Townsend
    • 4.5 stars
    • This was everything that I needed in a middle-grade fantasy novel. This story and this book series has such a fun conflict and premise and such a wonderfully complex magic system. I love everything about it. I cannot wait for book #3!
  14. Bloom by Kevin Panetta and Savanna Ganucheau
    • 5 stars
    • Such a perfect graphic novel! I adore adore adore this story. I love the baking parts of the story and the wonderful romance that progressed throughout. The art style and the color story throughout is so gorgeous too. It's just so visually stunning. love this so much. 
  15. Check Please! Book 1: #Hockey by Ngozi Ukazu
    • 4.5 stars
    • Another fantastic graphic novel. I absolutely adored this queer romance. I'm not one who is usually into hockey, but I loved the focus on hockey throughout this story. The friendships and the fun banter between the guys was so much fun. I cannot wait for Book 2.
  16. The Bride Test by Helen Hoang 
    • 4.5 stars
    • Helen Hoang is a masterful writer. I cannot yell enough about her skill and my adoration for her stories. I cannot wait for her next book to come out. I'm so glad that I could read an ARC of this book and continue to put out a positive narrative about her stories.
  17. Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuinston
    • 5 stars
    • How can I gush anymore about this book? It's perfect and I cannot wait to reread it and read more from McQuinston. How can a debut novel be this wonderful?
  18. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
    • 5 stars
    • This book is such a wonderful examination and study of race and blackness in America. I adore everything about this book. I cannot wait to read more from Adichie. Her writing style is so addicting, quick, and thought-provoking. 
  19. A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E/Victoria Schwab
    • 4.75 stars
    • This was such a unique, dark, and addictingly magical. I cannot wait to read more from this series. I'm obsessed. I'm so upset that I couldn't continue on with the series while I was in school, but I cannot wait to continue the series in January.

Runner-Ups!

All of the books listed below hold such a warm place in my heart. All of them were so wonderful and nearly made my top faves list. You should definitely check these out too. 

All of my reviews or mini-reviews are linked in the title of each book. Click the title to read more of what I think of them.
  1. The Princess and the Fangirl by Ashley Poston 
  2. The Tea Dragon Society by Katie O'Neill
  3. The Tea Dragon Festival by Katie O'Neill
  4. Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell & Faith Erin Hicks
  5. Taproot by Keezy Young
  6. Book Love by Debbie Yung
  7. One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid
  8. Echo North by Joanna Ruth Meyer
  9. More Than We Can Tell by Brigid Kemmerer
  10. King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo
  11. Call It What You Want by Brigid Kemmerer
  12. Serpent & Dove by Shelby Malhurin

Genre Break Down:

  • Middle-grade fantasy: 2
  • Adult fantasy: 3
  • YA fantasy: 5
  • YA contemporary/romance: 2
  • Adult contemporary/romance: 5
  • Graphic novel/comics: 2
I'd love to have my breakdowns to be more evenly distributed in the future, but I don't think that is something that can organically happen. I plan on reading more outside my comfort zone in 2020, so stay tuned. 

You can follow my reading journies on Instagram @livthebooknerd and on Goodreads {click here}. I will also be posting more frequently here now that my college years are wrapping up. 

Happy reading!
Olivia
~ Liv the Book Nerd ~

No comments:

Post a Comment