Tuesday, January 21, 2020

{Review} Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club #2) by Lyssa Kay Adams


49538360Page Count: 320
Published On: March 10, 2020
Published By: Berkley
Genre(s): Adult contemporary romance
Source: eARC provided by the publisher and NetGalley
Where To Find It: Amazon // Book Depository

My Rating: 4 stars



Goodreads synopsis:

Braden Mack thinks reading romance novels makes him an expert in love, but he’ll soon discover that real life is better than fiction.

Liv Papandreas has a dream job as a sous chef at Nashville’s hottest restaurant. Too bad the celebrity chef owner is less than charming behind kitchen doors. After she catches him harassing a young hostess, she confronts him and gets fired. Liv vows revenge, but she’ll need assistance to take on the powerful chef.

Unfortunately, that means turning to Braden Mack. When Liv’s blackballed from the restaurant scene, the charismatic nightclub entrepreneur offers to help expose her ex-boss, but she is suspicious of his motives. He’ll need to call in reinforcements: the Bromance Book Club.

Inspired by the romantic suspense novel they’re reading, the book club assist Liv in setting up a sting operation to take down the chef. But they’re just as eager to help Mack figure out the way to Liv’s heart… even while she’s determined to squelch the sparks between them before she gets burned.


~ ~ ~

This eARC was sent to me for an honest review. All thoughts, feelings, and opinions are my own. No monetary compensation was provided for this review.

Trigger and content warnings for: discussions on parental abandonment or neglect, sexual harassment and assault in the workplace, bullying, domestic abuse, blackmailing, & toxic masculinity

Hey, guys!

This book was just so much fun. I love Lyssa Kay Adams' writing style and the characters she creates. I'm so obsessed with the premise of her series. If you are unfamiliar with the Bromance Book Club series, essentially it is a companion series that follows a cast of male characters that are struggling with their romantic relationships. To combat their varied struggles, they begin to read romance novels in order to learn about their partners and try to understand what they can do to aid their relationships or marriages and to understand their partners better. I love this premise because it's honestly such a wonderfully feminist concept. So often I find myself wishing that my romance novels follow a more feminist mindset, but it's often not quite there. Sexual harassment is a really important topic to discuss in this media climate. Women are stepping up and standing up for themselves when they are being treated abysmally and I love to see this discussed so respectfully in a romance novel. 

There were many parts of the novel that I adored and the hate-to-love and slow burn-types of romance was probably my favorite aspect. I absolutely adored how Adams approached the relationship between Liv and Mack. They're polar opposites and they are so passionate about the things that are important to them. I loved their arguments and their interactions. The characters, themselves, were very realistic and so easy to love. I found myself laughing out loud when they continued to be hilarious and yelling at them whenever they were being complete idiots. 

  • Mack is such a softy, but he's also a total idiot...but the best kind if that makes sense. His emotional backstory made me so emo, but finally realizing what caused him to react and act the way he does...it just made everything make sense when it comes to his angsty, devil-may-care attitude. I loved him so much. He's honestly so funny and charming and I would love to be best friends with him. 
  • Liv is a girl after my own heart. I love how she stands up for what she believes in, I love the vulnerable side that causes her to lash out and become extremely testy and grumpy, and I love how flustered she became when around Mack. Her backstory also made me very emo. 
  • Oh my goodness can we also appreciate Hop and Rosie? I really want a novella from their perspectives too. I need the details that we didn't get in the book. I need it yesterday. 
  • RUSSIAN! Can we please have a book that follows him, please? He really stole the show whenever he was on page. His desire for cheese and extreme lactose intolerance really spoke to me. In 2019, I finally accepted that I too was lactose intolerant. However, I LOVE cheese so much. It's not a fun transition and Russian's desire for cheese no matter what is so relatable. Not only is he a cheese lover, but he's also a softy and in-tune with his emotions. I love love love him. I need a book to follow him. 

This was even better than The Bromance Book Club. I couldn't put it down. I cannot wait to see what Lyssa Kay Adams comes up with next. I need her next book ASAP!


Happy reading!
Olivia
~ Liv the Book Nerd ~



No comments:

Post a Comment