Thursday, June 18, 2015

The School For Good & Evil: A World Without Princes by Soman Chainani



THIS REVIEW MAY WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS THAT PERTAIN TO THE SCHOOL FOR GOOD & EVIL, WHICH IS THE FIRST BOOK IN THE School For Good & Evil TRILOGY! JUST A WARNING!
REVIEW OVERVIEW: I LOVED IT AND YOU SHOULD READ THIS SERIES! NOW GO READ THE FIRST BOOK AND READ MY REVIEW IF YOU WANT! 



Page Count: 433
Published in: April 15, 2014
Published by: 
Harper Collins
Genre(s): Middle Grade, Fantasy, Fairy-tales, Romance,
Source: Print: Hardback: Library
Age Rating: PG-10

Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon 

My Rating: 5 stars

Soman Chainani's blog: [click here]
Soman Chainani's Twitter: @SomanChainani
Facebook Page: Facebook




Goodreads synopsis:

      In the epic sequel to the New York Times bestselling novel, The School for Good and Evil, Sophie and Agatha are home, living out their Ever After. But life isn’t quite the fairy tale they expected. 

     When Agatha secretly wishes she’d chosen a different happy ending, she reopens the gates to the School for Good and Evil. But the world she and Sophie once knew has changed.

      Witches and princesses, warlocks and princes are no longer enemies. New bonds are forming; old bonds are being shattered. But underneath this uneasy arrangement, a war is brewing and a dangerous enemy rises. As Agatha and Sophie battle to restore peace, an unexpected threat could destroy everything, and everyone, they love—and this time, it comes from within.

      Soman Chainani has created a spectacular world that Newbery Medal-winning author Ann M. Martin calls, “a fairy tale like no other, complete with romance, magic, and humor that will keep you turning pages until the end.”

~~~

Hey guys!

      So... I automatically dove into this beautiful book after I finished the first..and absolutely loved it! At first I was skeptical of the first couple chapters, but once you understand what fully happened towards the end of The School For Good & Evil (I was still reeling from the end). A World Without Princes follows Agatha (AGGIEEE *SOBS*) and Sophie ("pfftt") during their "Ever After"...basically Agatha chose Sophie and they went home back to their old lives...ugh. Okay guys, I really don't like Sophie, at all! At the end of TSFG&E I thought she could be better in the next book, but I feel like she's just plain annoying! She doesn't realize it, but she's a total brat! She so self centered and I just hated her! She leads Agatha on, and she doesn't have Aggie's best interests in mind, she just wants to help herself. If you can't tell, I hate those kind of characters. Agatha is truly good. There is no doubt in my mind. 

      "And Sophie and Agatha lived happily ever after, for girls don't need princes for love to call.
No, they don't need princes in their fairy tales at all."

       I really loved how Soman Chainani portrays darker themes in a book that's supposed to be really light and funny. His writing is so engaging and funny. He uses humor to make fun of the major cliches in most fairy-tales, such as princesses learning to speak to animals and princes learning to save damsels in distress. The Evil students also learned "Uglification" and magic spells to defeat their nemesis. I also that not only are the stories about fairy-tales but under that the characters are dealing with real life issues that people face on a day to day basis (such as a broken family or stressful parental expectations). In fairy-tales you expect it to be all rainbows, glitter, and smiles but deep down all of the characters are dealing with something that is causing inner turmoil. In A World Without Princes, Agatha and Sophie are living their Ever After back in their world, and Agatha soon starts to doubt and question the choices she made, and being with Sophie. Sophie starts to worry that the friendship she has with Agatha is going to be thwarted by Agatha's love for Tedros, and Sophie's going to do whatever she can to keep Agatha's friendship. 

       Sophie yearns to be doted on and to have attention, which causes most of the conflict in this and the previous book. She makes her decisions in the name of love, and she's trying to be Good, but she's selfish and doesn't think of others or the consequences that could occur after. I just don't like Sophie. I hope she realizes her faults in the third book, The Last Ever After (JULY 21!!!). She's a really complex character! Don't get me wrong! She's a very interesting character..actually I think I have a love-hate relationship with Sophie, she's probably one of the most dynamic characters that I've read about and I applaud Mr. Chainani. 

      And once again, Tedros has somewhat let me down. His way of thinking towards to middle of the book towards Agatha kind of threw me for a bit. If he loves Agatha so darn much, why does he distrust her so much? I feel like he has quite a bit of growing up to do before he stays with Agatha....But man! He was so BADASS! Dangggg that boy! When he fights for a cause he fights hard! I mean, he can't be any older that 14...wait that's a great question how old is Tedros?!?! (I'll ask Mr. Chainani on Goodreads ;) ) 

      I loved this book. No matter what minor qualms I have with this series, it makes the books just as good, and I cannot imagine anything that could make these books any better than they are. The "faults" that I found with the characters make them who they are and I love it that way.

Well enjoy guys!
Olivia
~livthebooknerd




No comments:

Post a Comment