Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige


Page Count: 452
Published on: April 1, 2014
Published by: Harper Teen
Genre(s): Fantasy, YA, Adventure, Fairy Tale Retelling, 
Source: Print: Paperback
Age Rating: PG-15

Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon

Twitter: @daniellempaige

My Rating: 5 stars









Goodreads synopsis:

I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.

But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado - taking you with it - you have no choice but to go along, you know?

Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little bluebirds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still a yellow brick road - but even that's crumbling.

What happened? Dorothy.

They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.

My name is Amy Gumm - and I'm the other girl from Kansas.

I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.

I've been trained to fight.

And I have a mission.



~~~

Hey guys!

      I had been meaning to read Dorothy Must Die for quite a while, and after I put up a poll on the BooksAmino app to ask my followers what I should read read next, they chose Dorothy Must Die! I'm so glad that I read this book, it was so addicting and the characters and plot were fantastic. It was so original, and fantastical. This series definitely going to be one of my new favorites. Within a week of reading Dorothy Must Die, I picked up The Wicked Will Rise. Words cannot describe how much I love this book.

      Oz has changed. “Oz has changed,” ...“The trees don’t talk. The Pond of Truth tells lies, the Wandering Water stays put. The Land of Naught is on fire. People are starting to get old. People are forgetting how it used to be.” Oz has become a ramshackle place full of darkness and corruption. Dorothy has destroyed the Ozians and has corrupted the world. It is up to Amy to fix the damage that Dorothy has caused. It is up to Amy...Dorothy must die.

      I just adored this book. The characters had such original back stories and their personalities were so fun and it was amazing to learn more and more about the characters that I grew up with, and the characters that Paige added to the story. The whole story had the elements of the original tale, but Danielle Paige added her new characters and mixed it apocalyptic world. It was fantastical and magical and wonderfully done. I had always wondered what would happen if Dorothy went back to Oz, and even though this world is much darker than what I had imagined before, I still fell in love with this new version of Oz. Dorothy's attitude and new power hungry ways were such a surprise. The bits of the book that centered around magic and how it affects the people from the other world (our world). 

      I desperately want this book to become a movie. I feel like this could be the next big book to movie franchise..I would definitely watch the movies. I'm not sure if the rights have been bought, but I definitely think that these books deserve to be movies. 

My Review of The Wizard of Oz: {click here}

Other Retellings That You Will Enjoy:

Happy Reading everyone! I hope you enjoyed this review!
Olivia
~LivTheBookNerd~
Twitter // Instagram // Tumblr // Goodreads // YouTube // Bloglovin




No comments:

Post a Comment