Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday [#9]: Favorite Classics


Hey guys!

      It's been quite a long time since I've posted a Top 5 Wednesday, and I'm finally posting one! I've actually read quite a few classics, but there are a select 5 that are my absolute favorites. I'm one of the weird kids that actually read classics in middle school -- willingly...Anyway, here are my favorite classics!


(pt 1). Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

My Rating: 5 stars
Last Read: January of 2013

Anne & Little Women/Little Men tied for this spot so, I just put my #1 picks in alphabetical order... This is definitely one of my all time favorite classics. Anne of Green Gables is such a beautiful story, and the main character: Anne Shirley is such a charming and hilarious character. I adore rereading this series multiple times, because it's like visiting an old friend. I relate to Anne's character quite a lot, not because I can personally relate to her situation, because I personally cannot, but I relate to her as a person. This book takes place in the early 1900's, but the main themes in the series still relate to the popular themes of this century. I just really adore this book and this whole series....My mom and grandma call me Anne whenever my inner Anne shows through...so that's another interesting tidbit too, I suppose. This is another series that I need to re-read this year.


1 (pt 2) & #2Little Women/Little Men by Louisa May Alcott

20893528
My Rating: 5 stars
Last Read: probably late 2014 early 2015

I read Little Women for the first time when I was about 11 or 12, and I totally adored it. The writing is so beautiful, and the characters are some of my all time favorites. I love the March family; their love for each other is so delightfully charming, and throughout the book I fall in love with the characters all over again. Just like AOGG, when I reread and return to Little Women, it's like returning to more friends. I also feel like I can some how relate to all of the characters, and empathize with them. I just love the March sisters and Laurie. 




21470609
My Rating: 5 stars
Last Read: April of 2015

I actually think that I like Little Men a bit more than Little Women. I love the character development and the amazing things that Jo & Friedrich teach the boys and girls in their school. The lessons that they teach the children are still important lessons that should be taught to the current generation. When I read Little Men, it makes me really want to live in that time, in the Bhaer school, and meet all of the characters. I just adore
the characters, the story, the writing, and everything about the book. I actually did my junior year English term paper on Little Men & Louisa May Alcott...I became pretty aquainted with this book doing my project. I love Louisa May Alcott. She's such a great role model for me.

3. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

20893526
My Rating: 5 stars
Last Read: ...too long ago

This is one of my favorite childhood reads too. My twin sister read this book first, and I automatically read it right after her. It was one of my favorite books as a child, and I just loved Sara Crewe's story. Something about this book is so addicting to read, and I get sucked into it as soon as I start it. 

This is another book that I need to reread in 2016. It has been way too long since I read it last. 






4. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston LeRoux 

7118891
My Rating: 4.5 stars
Last Read: February 2015
My Review: {click here}

I read this book for the first time last year because I had watched the 25th Anniversary performance at the Royal Albert Hall and I became obsessed with the whole Broadway production and the music. My friends Julia and Rebecca insisted that I needed to read the book, and one day when I was really sick and stayed home from school, I managed to read Phantom and one of Jenny Han's books. Even though I read another book right after Phantom, I couldn't get the book out of my head. It's so much more different than the musical, much darker and much more violent. I really love it...It's one of the only Horror books that I can stand. It made me wonder if I should venture out into the horror genre more...

5. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

2657
My Rating: 4.75
Last Read: Early 2014

I first read this book, I was a sophomore in high school, and everyone told me that it was really boring, and that it was really slow. When I started this book about a week later, I loved it! I loved the history, the characters, the plot, and the discussions we had in class. My English teacher at the time, was really into the book, and she was always explaining to the class the meanings of the book if they didn't understand, and that's another reason why I loved the book. My teacher's passion for the book kind of inspired me and it made me love the book even more. I don't plan on ever reading the sequel, Go Set A Watchman. I don't believe that Harper Lee ever meant for her readers to read it, and it doesn't seem like her at all. I don't want TKAM to be ruined for me. 

       These are just a few of my favorite classics, and discussing them with you makes me really want to reread them. Thinking of reasons to why I read them has made me reminisce to a more simpler and more innocent time of my life, and it kind of makes me wish to go back to where I was in life. Being 11 or 12 when I first read Little Women, Little Men, and A Little Princess reminds me of the time when I was first really getting into chapter books and reading in general. Those first 3 books were a big part of my reading "career" and a big part of my current reading tastes. I highly recommend that you read these books before you die. They're works of art, and I think that everyone should read them.

My Favorite Characters: Jo March (LW), Nat Blake (LM), Anne Shirley (AOGG), Sara Crewe (ALP), Erik [The Phantom] (TPOTO), Atticus Finch (TKAM)

My Ships: Jo x Laurie but then Jo x Freidrich, Anne x Gilbert, Phantom x Christine

Movies Based On the Books That You Should Check Out:
  • The 1949 version of Little Women
  • The 25th Annivesary Performance of The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall
  • The 1962 version of TKAM
  • All of the Anne of Green Gables movies with Megan Follows 
  • The animated Anne shows that were released in 2001
I highly recommend these books, movies, and show. They're really really great, and they're some of my favorites.

I hope you guys have a great week! Happy Wednesday!

Happy reading!
Olivia
~livthebooknerd~
 Twitter // Instagram // Tumblr // Goodreads // Bloglovin



No comments:

Post a Comment