Thursday, February 4, 2016

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddors

44170
Page Count: 364
Published on September 26, 2006
Published by: Dial Books
Genre(s):  YA, Fantasy, Fairytale Retelling, Adventure
Source: Print: Paperback
Age Rating: PG-15

Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon

Twitter: @frankbeddor

My Rating: 4.75 stars









Goodreads synopsis:

Alyss of Wonderland?
When Alyss Heart, newly orphaned heir to the Wonderland throne, flees through the Pool of Tears to escape her murderous Aunt Redd, she finds herself lost and alone in Victorian London. Befriended by an aspiring author named Lewis Carrol, Alyss tells the violent, heartbreaking story of her young life. Alyss trusts this author to tell the truth so that someone, somewhere will find her and bring her home. But he gets the story all wrong. He even spells her name incorrectly!

Fortunately, Royal Bodyguard Hatter Madigan knows all too well the awful truth of Alyss' story - and he's searching every corner of our world to find the lost princess and return her to Wonderland, to battle Redd for her rightful place as the Queen of Hearts.

The Looking Glass Wars unabashedly challenges our Wonderland assumptions of mad tea parties, grinning Cheshire cats, and a curious little blond girl to reveal an epic battle in the endless war for Imagination.
 



~~~

Hey guys!


     So...My awesome mom bought this book for me back in October for my birthday...and I didn't read it until January...how 'bout that? I mean, that's not too bad...some of my books have been on my shelf since May...that's a problem. Anyway, I have finally read it and I found it to be really interesting and fun to read. There were a few things that I didn't really like about the book, but I still liked the book.

Things I Loved:
  • The characters were very interesting and well written. 
  • The plot is so cool, and the fantasy world was really imaginative. 
  • This book was really really entertaining, and nicely written.
  • Overall, this book was a really satisfyingly written fairy-tale retelling, and I plan on reading the rest of the series.
  • I love Hatter Mattigan. I'm glad that he has a graphic novel series. I'm definitely going to check them out.
Things I Felt Like Could Use Improvement:
(There may seem to be some big problems, but they're pretty minor to me.)

  • I wish I had known more about the time Alyss spent Earth. It's like a hole in the plot, but not a legit hole in the plot, but like a hole in my satisfaction. 
    • I was also kind of skeptical about how easily Alyss transitioned from her Earth life back to her life in Wonderland. I mean I get that it's her true home, and she had been longing for her previous life, but the transition seemed to be too easy. I just thought there would be more inner turmoil, I felt like the characters could have been fleshed out a little more.
  • I also wish that the world was describe more. Some of the creatures and
When I first finished the book, I was so excited and I really loved the book, but as I think about it, I feel like it wasn't as good as I thought. At first I gave it 5 stars, but after about a week to ponder over it, I consider it to a 4.5 star book. 

If You Like ____ Then You'll Love The Looking Glass Wars!
  1. Splintered by A.G. Howard
  2. The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman
  3. Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev

I hope you enjoyed this review! Happy reading and happy Tuesday!
Olivia
~livthebooknerd~
Twitter // Instagram // Tumblr // Goodreads // Bloglovin




No comments:

Post a Comment