Tuesday, April 10, 2018

{Review} Quests For Glory (The School For Good & Evil: The Camelot Years #1) by Soman Chainani

32711417

Page Count: 568
Published on: September 19, 2017
Published by: HarperCollins
Genre(s): Fantasy, Children's/Middle Grade, YA, Romance
Source: Hardback -personally purchased
Age Rating: PG

Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon // Book Depository 

My Rating: 4.75 stars

Twitter: @SomanChainani








Goodreads synopsis:

With every end comes a new beginning in the fourth installment of Soman Chainani’s New York Times bestselling School for Good and Evil series, Quests for Glory. Join Sophie, Agatha, Tedros, and the other students as they begin a new era in the Endless Woods—The Camelot Years—where Evers and Nevers alike must move beyond the bounds of school and into the biggest, boldest adventures of their lives.

The students at the School for Good and Evil thought they had found their final Ever After when they vanquished the malevolent School Master. Now, on their required fourth-year quests, the students face obstacles both dangerous and unpredictable, and the stakes are high: success brings eternal adoration, and failure means obscurity forever.

For their quests, Agatha and Tedros are trying to return Camelot to its former splendor as queen and king. For her quest, Dean Sophie seeks to mold Evil in her own image. But soon they all feel themselves growing more isolated and alone. When their classmates’ quests plunge into chaos, however, someone must lead the charge to save them...

~~~
Hey, guys!

    If you've followed my blog for a while, you'd know of my love for Soman Chainani's books. I've been such a huge fan of the School For Good & Evil series since mid-2015 and when I found out that Soman was releasing a new trilogy that takes place right after The Last Ever After....you guys have to know that I hardcore fangirled. This series is so fantastically written. I can't wait to tell you all what I think of Quests For Glory. Let's get into it! 

     I think that this book is a wonderful re-introduction to the characters. It's been a bit since I read The Last Ever After and a little bit less of a bit since I read the Handbook (if that makes any sense). The pacing was a bit slower compared to the original trilogy. I did enjoy this book, but it was harder to get back into this book. 

     We are once again intertwined in the lives of Sophie, Agatha, and Tedros. I really enjoyed how their stories continued in this book and how their characters have developed since the last battle in The Last Ever After. 

     I adore how Tedro's character has developed in this book. He goes through so much conflict and turmoil for a kid his age. He goes through an amazing amount of inner conflict and turmoil that I felt was just so realistic. His struggles really touched my heart and after reading this book, I really do love Tedros even more. I think he is much more dynamic and interesting compared to his behavior and character in the first three books. In QFG he's had to go through so many adult decisions and he's so much more responsible...or rather, he's desperately trying to be. His effort and genuine desire to do well for his people is so beautiful and commendable. I was worried that he would not live up to the expectations that one would hold for the new king of Camelot. He is a kid!!! I just desperately want him to heal and listen to his friends and family. He's just so caught up in his stuff and he's panicking and floundering...I just hope the situation improves for him. He's such a good kid.

     Agatha is my girl. I adore her so much. The struggles that she and Tedros face in this book, both romantically and through their adventures, was so great to read. I love the way their relationship is going...they're struggling. Hardcore. So many books make long-term relationships (especially in a fairy tale setting) seem easy and magical. I love that Soman has further developed this relationship and continued to make their relationship somewhat of a struggle bus. So many relationships are written in a way that makes it seem easy when in fact, maintaining a relationship is actual work. I just really enjoyed the struggle that these kids went through. 

     Their struggles and worries were so realistically frustrating. I genuinely worried for their mental health. Their lack of communication was so realistic for their ages. Teens and young adults are kind of stupid when it comes to relationships. We don't think things through..especially when we're stressed and worried about the relationship. I just adore how real their interactions were. 

    The political subplot and themes in this book were fantastic. I love how the world building was further developed through the use of political intrigue. I love love love the conflicts that this new villain caused. The struggle that Tedros and Camelot continued to face was so fascinating. I just love the conflict. 

     I'm so interested in seeing what is going to happen with the Quests. I was already intrigued by the whole concept, but wow-oh-wow is this going to be fun. The last few action bits the last few fights and battles were so rad. They were a magical and action-packed roller coaster of emotions. The focus on Good & Bad and Truth & Lies were absolutely riveting. It was extremely relevant to what this world is currently going through. 

     This book really made me think and wonder about the outcome. I truly did not know what would happen next. I could not pinpoint the outcome of any of the twists. No one was safe! I was literally freaking out about every death. Soman is taking every risk and he doesn't seem worried at all! I really did not expect the deaths that occurred. I'm still reeling... I did not want their deaths to be real. 

     Can we also appreciate the format of this book? I just adored the multiple perspectives! I'm so glad that we get to be in so many different characters heads. Nicola of the Woods Beyond is going to be a fantastic addition to the gang. I love love love her. AND HORT! HELLO! So much dynamic character growth! I adore that he's beginning to see the flaws in Sophie. She really has not grown as a person or learned from her mistakes (I hope she does!). I feel so much for Hort's character in this book. In my Goodreads reading updates I went on a small (spoiler-y) tangent about his character and about how I love him now (but let's face it before he was hot he was a sweetheart. Kinda gross, but he means well.)

    Overall, this book was absolutely delightful. It was frustrating, it was hopeful, it had such fantastic character development. I cannot wait for book 2 of The Camelot Years. This spinoff series is going to be great! 

My SFG&E Reviews: 

Happy reading!
Olivia

~LivTheBookNerd~


No comments:

Post a Comment