Wednesday, September 9, 2020

August 2020 Reading Wrap Up

 

Hey, guys!

August has been so busy. I've been hired for a new job, I've started a whole new schedule, and -- just a lot of things have been going on. This month, I hadn't read as much as my previous reading months, but I'm really excited about what I've read this past month. While this past month was primarily taken up by audiobook reading, which is really surprising considering my stats last month, it doesn't really feel like I mainly listened to these stories. I've found a few new tropes and new authors that I adore (and dislike). Here are the books that I read this month!


Take A Hint, Dani Brown by Talia Hibbert
Read physically
5 stars

I will have a review up for this book in the next week, but holy cow this was everything I could have hoped for. If you love quirky, romantic, steamy romances, you will love this book so much. Dani and Zafir are such a lovely couple and I cannot push this book at you hard enough. Please read these stories about the Brown sisters! 

{Picture credit: me via Instagram}



Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo
Read via audio
4 stars

Since reading Elizabeth Acevedo's The Poet X, I've managed to pick up her releases as they've come out. Last year, With the Fire On High was one of Julia and I's bookclub picks and it was one of my all-time favorite 2019 reads as well. Her writing is always so beautiful, lyrical, and so well developed. It's really magical how fantastic her writing is. 

Once again, Acevedo didn't disappoint! This was such a beautiful story. It was written in verse and the audiobook was narrated by Acevedo and Melania-Luisa Marte -- what a powerful duo! Having the two narrators really added to the story and added the depth that I didn't know I needed. I loved how each narrator emphasized the differences in the poetry styles, the characters' personalities, and the little nuanced details. It's such a fantastic stylistic choice that I cannot get over. 

The topics and discussions in Clap When You Land are such important ones. While I do not want to spoil you, I do need to let you know that there are trigger warnings for stalking, assault, loss of a family member/parent, cheating, and plane crashes.

{Picture credit: me via Instagram}



King of the Libertines by Pam Godwin
ebook
2 stars

August was the month of romance-booktube! Naturally, I stumbled across Jess's channel (PeaceLoveBooksxo) and discovered her love for Pam Godwin. While I really didn't enjoy King of the Libertines, I'm eager to actually read the full-length novel that follows the characters in this novella. 

King of the Libertines follows the characters of Sea of Ruin, explaining their relationships and (I suppose) adding onto their dynamic. However, I felt like this novella was SO rushed, so surface level, and just not enjoyable at all. There were typos, grammar mistakes, and the character development was so unrealistic. I couldn't fully integrate myself into the world or actually care about the characters. It just wasn't for me. I'm hoping for more from the full novel, Sea of Ruin. 

Overall, I felt like this was a whole lot of nothing.



What Happens in Scotland by Jennifer McQuinston
ebook & physical
2 stars

Another disappointing read...

This was such a shallow read. The pacing was just horrible and it was just so unbelievable and annoying. I've been enjoyed the majority of the historicals that I've read this year, but this one was one of the worst. I'm debating even reading more from McQuinston's list of releases. 



Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
audio and physical 
5 stars

This is probably one of my newest all-time favorite books. This was such a phenomenal read. The audio experience was perfect and the care and detail that the audio narrator put into their performance were just flawless. I was discussing this book with one of my friends that had read and they had said they rated it 4 stars because it was a bit difficult to tell which character was narrating when the perspectives would change, but I found that that wasn't the case when listening to the audio. When I eventually switched to the physical book (sometimes I will do that when I get closer toward the end of a book), I found I didn't have that issue because I had become so used to the ways the characters would differentiate themselves. Naomi Novik is a masterful writer and I cannot wait for her next novel, A Deadly Education; which is released September 29. I cannot stress enough that you should absolutely pick this book up.


The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright by Tessa Dare
physical 
4 stars

Tessa Dare is such a feel-good writer. Anytime I pick up one of her books, it's like visiting a friend you haven't seen in the longest time. I'm always excited to read her novellas because, honestly, they're always hit or miss for me, but they're always ridiculously fun. This novella, I won't reiterate the very very long title, was so much fun! I'm so thankful for the lovely lady who gifted it to me in early August. 

Sometimes -- heck, most times! -- historical romance novellas don't do it for me. The pacing is wonky, the characters and their romances are uninteresting or hard to believe, or the writing is just bad. Thankfully, Tessa Dare is a queen, and does this story so much justice. Not only does she tackle an important topic in less than 150 pages, but she also does it well! The romance was so well developed, realistic, and it gave me Pride and Prejudice vibes. 

The only reason that this didn't get 5 stars was that, naturally, the cliches were just a bit much for me (emphasis on "for me"). Because I've read so many Tessa Dare novels this year, I feel like I can make an opinion regarding her writing capabilities. She can write the cheesiest and most ridiculous tropes red hot and so well done. This novella was short, so I just felt like the added depth that I so love in her work was just missing. I wish this was a full-length novel. It's so delightful. I wanted more!


Say Yes to the Marquess (Castles Ever After #2) by Tessa Dare
audio
3 stars

If you couldn't tell from my ramble above, I adore Tessa Dare. I think she is such a phenomenal writer. She creates such likable characters with such swoony romances that I cannot help but love and root for. I really enjoyed Clio's strong character and Rafe's personality. While the entire situation surrounding their romance is something I hadn't seen before (granted, I haven't read much historical romance), I still felt like it was missing a little something-something. This novel is one of her earlier novels so that definitely contributes to the quality of her writing (for me), this just lacked some of the elements that I really enjoy in her books. The relationship was swoony, but it didn't have as much chemistry and it kind of dragged in some areas. 

This was so fun, but not my favorite of her backlist. 



A Kiss at Midnight (Fairy Tales #1) by Eloisa Jams
audio
4 stars

This book! This book was so lovely! I think I've found a new historical romance author that I want to explore. This retelling of the Cinderella story was so wonderful. 

It felt a little rushed toward the end, but I adored this book. 



Storming the Castle (Fairy Tales #1.5) by Eloisa James
audio
4.5 stars

This was so short, but so freaking fun. 


When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James
audio
4.75 stars

Phenomenal! I cannot wait to read more from Eloisa James, especially her Fairy Tales series. I cannot get enough of these characters and the different dynamics James' writing brings to the historical romance genre.

Please read Eloisa James' Fairy Tales series!

Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid
audio
3.75 stars

This book started out really strong and intriguing, but around half-way, I really started to question where the novel was even going. I really really enjoyed the discussions that this book had surrounding performative allyship and racism, but really wished that there had been more of a focus on Emira's character development and growth. I loved her character and I just didn't think she shone like the side characters did. Alix was, of course, a massive part of the story, but I just wanted more about Emira. 

Total Books Read: 11

Audio: 7
Physical: 3
e-Copy: 1

Favorite read: Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
Least Favorite read: King of Libertines by Pam Godwin

What did you read in August?

Olivia
Liv the Book Nerd ~



No comments:

Post a Comment