Wednesday, January 12, 2022

{Review} BL Metamorphosis Vol. 1-5 by Kaori Tsurutani

Hello my beautiful chickens!

This manga instantly gripped me, and I couldn’t put this series down if I tried. Naturally, I found this series while browsing in a bookstore. I bought the first four volumes on a whim slash #treatyourself moment before the holidays. I couldn’t resist. The art style is adorable, the synopsis instantly hooked itself into my very soul – I had to pick them up.  

I managed to read all four of the volumes back-to-back that evening and I was completely devastated to find out that there weren’t just four volumes, but five! I wish I was ashamed to say this: but I absolutely went online and bought the fifth and final volume the moment I finished volume 4.  

 

This is going to be a series that I recommend to any budding manga lover and any manga reader that adores slice of life, BL, romance, and delightful friendships.  


Goodreads synopsis: 


Ichinoi, a 75-year-old woman living a peaceful life, unwittingly buys a Boy's Love manga one day...and is fascinated by what she finds inside. When she returns to the bookstore to buy the next volume, the high school girl working there--Urara, a seasoned BL fan--notices a budding fangirl when she sees one. When Urara offers to help Ichinoi explore this whole new world of fiction, the two dive into BL fandom together, and form an unlikely friendship along the way.

 

 


BL Metamorphosis  Volume 1: 


5 stars 

  • The whole story is so heart-warming and adorable to read. I was instantly hooked, addicted, captivated with these characters and their interactions. 
  • I loved how the author would have different moments switch between Ichinoi-sensei and Urara 
  • I am obsessed with how these characters complement each other. Even though there is a 50+ age gap between them. Between the two of them, I loved Ichinoi-sensei the most. Her humor and just the way she approached any obstacles or new experiences was adorable and wonderful to read. Her reaction to the wait-times between book releases and her voracious appetite for manga and stories was so lovely. Urara was such a great character too, but for so many different ways. I really related to her shy and anxious demeanor, as well as her reluctance to venture out of her shell and experience more. I loved seeing her work through her personal struggles.  
  • I wasn’t sure how BL was going to be incorporated, but I loved that we go to see bits of U & I’s favorite books. It was really cool to see the style change to indicate the stories woven throughout the books. I also really loved how it was shown as a niche that brings readers together. 


 


BL Metamorphosis Volume 2:


5 stars 

  • So adorable! I loved how these characters ventured off and how their friendship became ever stronger.  
  • While the synopsis seems to put a focus on the convention that they adventured to, I really loved how they faced the new challenges that their friendship faced. They really do bring the best out each other.  

 


BL Metamorphosis Volume 3: 

3 stars 

  • This volume felt more like filler, but I still really loved it.  
  • Seeing these characters pursue their own ventures to go out of their comfort zone was so lovely.  
  • I’m obsessed with the growth that we see in Urara.  
  • Ichinoi-sensei is iconic and adorable as always. 

 


BL Metamorphosis Volume 4: 

5 stars 


  • Ahhh! I loved getting more fired-up, passionate, driven Urara! Seeing her pursue something out of her comfort zone and thinking outside the box to ramp up her drawing abilities was so lovely to see. I loved how she put herself out there and worked so hard to not only improve her school studies, but to learn how to draw like her favorite authors and tell her own story.  
  • I really loved Ichinoi’s part in this chapter of the story. Her sass and support were so lovely to see. It’s obvious that these women consider each other family now – they’re a found family in a way! Love! Her unconditional support is absolute friend goals. She made me so emotional in this volume. 
  • I also really love the small glimpses that we are getting into the writing/illustrating life of their favorite author. The little moments where their lives almost cross are just so fun. 





BL Metamorphosis Volume 5: 

4 stars 

  • Well, now this series is over, and I’m devastated. This is such a sweet comfort read and I devoured it in probably less than 3 hours all-together. Who’s surprised? You should be surprised when I don’t push these books and this adorable, wholesome story onto you. Read it! Read these volumes!  
  • This was such a bittersweet ending. I loved seeing Urara’s growth come full circle and see that she still has so much potential for her life. She’s so sweet and I just want to know what happens after this.  
  • I really do not like to think about Ichinoi’s end ever, but she really kept bringing up how old she was and how she would eventually die. It sent me straight into my feels and I cried at least twice while reading this book.  
  • This manga series is all about the power of friendship and I just adore that. It was the perfect read and reading volume 5 as 2022 began was just the perfect decision.  

I just cannot recommend this manga series enough. I adored every moment of the reading experience and I know I will absolutely reread soon. I already crave the adorable bits of the story and the lovely feelings I experienced while reading. 

Happy reading!
Olivia
Liv the Book Nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment