Thursday, November 19, 2015

[Reviews With Courtney]: The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky



Page Count: 213
Published on: February 1, 1999
Published by: MTV Books & Pocket Books
Genre(s): Coming of Age, YA, Contemporary, Fiction
Source: Print: Paperback
Age Rating: PG-15

Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon

Twitter@stephencchbosky

Courtney's Rating: 5 stars





Goodreads synopsis:


Charlie is a freshman.


And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.


Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.


The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up. 



~~~

Hey guys! 


It's Courtney and I'm back to review one of my favorite books in the whole world. I hope you enjoy! 


I've owned The Perks of Being a Wallflower for as long as I can remember, but it wasn't till this year that I sat down and watched it. Going into the movie I had no clue what it was about. All I knew was it was raved about and some of the people in my life that I trusted were in love with it. I fell in love and knew I had to have the book. 


This month my English teacher gave us assignment to write an author of our choice. I knew instantly it was going to be Stephen Chbosky. That same day I sat in our schools library and ordered it from Amazon. I have since read the book 3 times. 


This book changed me. I know that sounds cliché but it's true. Charlie taught me a lot about myself. And the book in general slapped me in the face when I needed it. My favorite quote from the book is "we accept the love we think we deserve." It stopped me dead in my tracks when I read it. To be honest I was in a relationship with a not so nice guy. I thought I loved him but I didn't. I accepted his love because for a while I thought that's all that I deserved. I deserve so much more than what he had to offer.  


Charlie also taught that you can love someone but know nothing about them. He says "I knew what to buy Sam and Patrick, but I didn't know what I could buy or give for my own dad." I know what he means. I know my parents but I don't really "know" them. That needs to change. I also encourage you to get to know your parents more if you don't already. They will only be here for so long. Don't regret not knowing them when their gone. 


This is a book I will one day pass on to my children. It will a book that will be forever close to my heart. 


Thank you guys for reading!

Courtney
{Instagram}
~~~

I hope you guys enjoyed Courtney's review of The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky! I plan on reading Perks really really soon!

Enjoy!
Happy reading!
Olivia
~livthebooknerd~
Twitter // Instagram // Tumblr // Goodreads // Bloglovin


No comments:

Post a Comment