Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday [#5]: My Top 5 Favorite Dystopian Series


Hey guys! 

        It is once again Wednesday, and that means it's time for Top 5 Wednesday! I chose to discuss my favorite Dystopian series! The dystopian genre is a very well known, but probably not by the name "dystopian". "Dystopian fiction: (sometimes combined with, but distinct from apocalyptic literature) is the opposite: creation of an utterly horrible or degraded society that is generally headed to an irreversible oblivion, or dystopia", which basically means the opposite of utopia. I consider any apocalyptic book to be in the dystopian genre, and the apocalyptic/dystopian genre is one of my favorite genres to read. I find it so interesting to see what authors imagine the end of the world to be. There were a couple trilogies or series that got me totally hooked on the dystopian genre during my 8th grade year and my first year of high school. The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins was very very popular during my 7th & 8th grade year, and it's still extremely popular now, which is totally amazing! Another series that was really popular in middle school and my freshman year was the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld. Honestly I remember reading the first couple books, but I'm not too sure if I had finished the series. I plan on reading the series again in the future. The last series that was really popular during my eight grade year was The Giver Quartet by Lois Lowry. I read the first book in eight grade, but I haven't continued the series, but I still remember almost everything about The Giver. I'm not going to include The Hunger Games, The Giver Quartet, and The Uglies series to my top 5 because I consider The Hunger Games to be an obvious choice, but because I haven't finished The Giver Quartet and the Uglies series I won't add them to my list even though I adore them. 

1. The Selection trilogy + The Heir & Happily Ever After by Kiera Cass











This series is by far one of my all time favorite series, whether it's dystopian or not. I absolutely adore this series and I cannot wait until The Crown comes out in May! It's definitely my most anticipated release of 2016!

You can check out my reviews here! 
    ~The Selection Series {click here}
    ~The Heir {click here}
    ~Happily Ever After {click here}



2. The Shatter Me trilogy by Tehereh Mafi


The Shatter Me series is one of the best ones I've ever read. It's like a mix of The Hunger Games, X-Men, and something totally original that I can't explain. I can't get enough of Tehereh's writing. Her books are so addicting and I couldn't put them down. 
You can check out my reviews here!
       ~ Shatter Me {click here}
       ~ Destroy Me {click here}
       ~ Unravel Me {click here}
       ~ Fracture Me {click here}
       ~ Ignite Me {click here}

Ignite Me is by far my favorite of the books because of the amazing ending. I just love love love this series. I highly recommend this fantastic series!

3. The Ashfall trilogy by Mike Mullin



I love this trilogy. I met Mike Mullin when he visited my school a couple years ago, and he's such a cool guy! It's been a while since I've read the Ashfall trilogy...and to be honest I haven't gotten to Sunrise yet, but Ashfall and Ashen Winter are just to amazing and well thought out I can't not include them in my list.
All of these books have ratings of 4 to 5 stars.

4. The Last Survivors Quartet by Susan Beth Pfeffer


This was one of the best series that I read in middle school. Everyone read this series in my class...it was one of those bookish trends that everyone enjoyed. This is more of an apocalyptic series, but it's actually really original and I really enjoyed the series. 
The books get a 4 to 5 star rating, but I'd have to read them again to get an exact rating again.

5. The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer


I've not finished this series either, but I've read Cinder twice and I've read Scarlet once this year. I'm going to read Cress and Winter soon, but I know they will be fantastic. My sister Reagan (who read and reviewed The Maze Runner & The Screaming Staircase) is absolutely enamored by Marissa's books, and she loves them so much that she'd buy all of the books. This series not only has a dystopia feel to it, but it has paranormal and fairy tale retelling aspects that make it even better.
Cinder's Rating: 5 stars
Scarlet's Rating: 4.5 stars

Happy reading!
Olivia & Reagan
~livthebooknerd~


No comments:

Post a Comment