Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The Rest Of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness


Page Count: 336
Published on: October 6, 2015
Published by: HarperTeen
Genre(s): YA, Fantasy, Adventure, Paranormal, Contemporary, LGBTQ, Science Fiction
Source: Print: Hardback
Age Rating: PG-12
Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon 

My Rating: 4.5 stars

Twitter: @Patrick_Ness






Goodreads synopsis:

What if you aren’t the Chosen One? The one who’s supposed to fight the zombies, or the soul-eating ghosts, or whatever the heck this new thing is, with the blue lights and the death?

What if you’re like Mikey? Who just wants to graduate and go to prom and maybe finally work up the courage to ask Henna out before someone goes and blows up the high school. Again.

Because sometimes there are problems bigger than this week’s end of the world, and sometimes you just have to find the extraordinary in your ordinary life.

Even if your best friend is worshiped by mountain lions.

Award-winning writer Patrick Ness’s bold and irreverent novel powerfully reminds us that there are many different types of remarkable.

~~~

Hey guys!

       I saw The Rest Of Us Just Live Here featured on the Epic Reads (HarperTeen) YouTube channel and the whole concept really intrigued me and I told myself I'd either get it from my local public library or I'd buy it. Well, I saw it at Target one day and I bought it for myself for my birthday...and I got it for 20% off and it was signed! Not only is the book really cool to look it at...it's GLOW IN THE DARK!!! HOW COOL IS THAT! I also really like the little artistic touches in the book that Patrick Ness included. On the page that was signed by Mr. Ness, there was a little illustration of Patrick Ness (which was also on the front -- the little reading guy in the second row) and it was just super cute. 

       The Rest Of Us Just Live Here is narrated by Mikey. Mikey is not an indie kid. Indie kids are always up to something, and usually their shenanigans lead to the school being blown up. Mikey just wants to survive high school and go to prom with Henna. "Because sometimes there are problems bigger than this week’s end of the world, and sometimes you just have to find the extraordinary in your ordinary life."

       While I liked TROUJLH, I feel like it was missing something that makes it a 5 star book in my eyes. Maybe I just didn't connect with the characters as much as I would like, I'm not sure. I really liked the characters, and I really really liked the little blurbs that kept you up to date with what the indie kids were doing. I actually really want a book that's dedicated to a half indie-half normal kid, Jared. Jared is worshiped by all kinds of cats and he's 1/3 god. I think his story should be told, and I hope Patrick Ness writes his story next. I think everyone will enjoy this book. It has all the elements of a contemporary novel, but it also has the elements of a fantasy or paranormal book because there are magical events that occur in the back ground. 

        Fans of Harry Potter & Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda will love The Rest Of Us Just Live Here. If you love a good contemporary or a fantastical fantasy, you will definitely love this book. 

Favorite Character: Mikey or Jared
Least Favorite Character: Henna -- I feel like she took advantage of Mikey. He deserved better than him.

Enjoy! Happy reading!
Olivia
~livthebooknerd~

No comments:

Post a Comment