Thursday, November 12, 2015

The Sword of Summer (Magnus & the Gods Of Asgard #1) by Rick Riordan


Page Count: 527
Published on: October 6, 2015
Published by: Disney Hyperion
Genre(s): YA, Fantasy, Adventure Mythology
Source: Print: Hardback
Age Rating: PG-12
Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon 

My Rating: 5 stars

Twitter: @camphalfblood







Goodreads synopsis:

Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother’s mysterious death, he’s lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers.

One day, he’s tracked down by a man he’s never met—a man his mother claimed was dangerous. The man tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god.

The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years.

When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision.

Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die . . .
~~~

Hey guys!

        I have been anticipating The Sword of Summer since Uncle Rick announced it back in September of 2014. I didn't know anything about Norse mythology, and I was so excited to get my hands on Rick Riordan's legendary stories. The Sword of Summer follows Magnus Chase as he's bombarded with dangerous situations, impossible stories, magical creatures, and new friends. Magnus finally discovers the reason for his mother's death, his weirdo uncle, and who is father is. 

        This book was so good! Rick Riordan has done it again! Rick has the capability to immerse his readers into his story, and make you feel like you are there with the characters, experiencing what they're feeling. His characters are always so hilarious and sassy, and Magnus was a sassy and sarcastic little sh*t who made me laugh the whole time. The story is action packed and full of magic and Norse mythology facts. Again, I had no knowledge whatsoever concerning Norse mythology until I had read The Sword of Summer...well I knew of Thor & Loki, but that's about it..haha. 

        I really don't have anything that I didn't like with this book, granted, I'm not sure if I like it as much as the Percy Jackson & The Heroes of Olympus series, and I don't know if it ever good amount to the amazing-ness that is Percy Jackson, but it's pretty darn close! I just hope that Magnus and all of the Norse demi-gods meet the Greek demi-gods, and Percy and Magnus interact...Percy's sass vs. Magnus' sarcasm would be an amazing thing to experience. 

        This book deserves the 5 stars I'm giving it. It's just so hilarious and so weell written. I can't wait for the next book next fall... I need more! Not to mention the new The Hidden Oracle (The Trials of Apollo #1) coming out in May of 2016, so not only has Rick Riordan started one new series, but he's starting two new series! He's just the best! I'm so excited!!! I actually consider The Sword of Summer to be a YA series because Magnus is actually 17, and the humor is appropriate for middle grade and young adult audiences. I just get kinda peeved when someone doesn't consider it to be MG, when it could also be YA. 

        Anyway! I highly recommend this book! It's so worth the read! It's a nice hefty book, but it basically feels like a very well thought out movie...It's the bomb! If you've read this book, let me know! Comment below! If you want to discuss The Sword of Summer after you've read it hit me up on Twitter! I love discussing books with y'all! 

Happy reading!
Olivia
~livthebooknerd~

No comments:

Post a Comment