Thursday, July 28, 2016

The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson

17838528

Page Count: 517
Published on: May 3, 2016

Published by: Bloomsbury
Genre(s): Contemporary, Romance, YA
Source: Hardback
Age Rating: PG-15

Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon

Twitter: 
@morgan_m

My Rating: 10/5 stars









Goodreads synopsis:

Andie had it all planned out. 

When you are a politician’s daughter who’s pretty much raised yourself, you learn everything can be planned or spun, or both. Especially your future.

Important internship? Check.

Amazing friends? Check.

Guys? Check (as long as we’re talking no more than three weeks).

But that was before the scandal. Before having to be in the same house with her dad. Before walking an insane number of dogs. That was before Clark and those few months that might change her whole life.

Because here’s the thing—if everything’s planned out, you can never find the unexpected. 


And where’s the fun in that?



~~~

Hey, guys!

      From July 3 until the 9th, a group of booktubers hosted the Biannual Bibliothon. During the bibliothon, there is a group book that they focus the live show on that they discuss. I was so excited that they chose The Unexpected Everything. I had just received TUE in the mail from an Amazon order that I had placed in the beginning of June. I had been anticipating this book ever since Morgan Matson had announced that she was writing it and released the cover art. This book is so gorgeous and the cover matches the cover of Since You've Been Gone which was one of my favorite 2016 reads. I went into this book blindly, and I had no idea what it was about. I just knew that it was going to be amazing because it was written by Morgan Matson. 

     While this book wasn't as good as Since You've Been Gone, it was still really really great. I really loved the characters that Matson created and I loved the relationships that developed throughout the book. The characters developed really naturally and I just loved the characters in this book. I'm pretty sure that Clark is my next book boyfriend...and he's the ideal nerdy boyfriend (in my opinion). He's so sweet and hard working and he writes fantasy books! I really want to read his books and I really hope Morgan Matson writes his story like Rainbow Rowell did with Cath's fanfiction Carry On. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that she does! I desperately need it! 

      At first, I didn't like Andie. I didn't like her and I especially did not like behavior when it came to boys. She had this obsessive focus the future. her future and she didn't focus on having the best life she could. She goes out of her way every day at all times to ensure that her father's reputation isn't tarnished by anything that she does. She doesn't allow herself to relax or be herself. Even when she hangs around with a potential boyfriend she talks about "safe" topics such as the weather and other boring and irregular topics. She'd rather just make out and keep it in her comfort zone. 

    Fortunately, Andie has an amazing group of girls that keep her from throwing away any fun that she could have. When Andie's summer suddenly derails, her friends support her and help her change her summer plans for the better. I loved how close they were and I loved that each character was original and each girl had their own personality which was really great. I also really loved that Toby and Bri were closer to each other than to the other girls. Each friend group has a couple girls that are closer to each other than they other girls. Usually, friend groups in YA books are all equally close to each other which is very unrealistic. 

     I also loved that Tom, Palmer's boyfriend, was included in their group. He was such a sweet guy and he just put up with the shenanigans that the girls put him through and I thought that was really sweet... OH and he loved theater! I just love that he didn't quite fit the "macho manly man" image, but he also didn't fit the "nerdy" image either. He and Clark bonded really quickly and whenever there was a scene that featured them I totally geeked out. (Clom!) Tom was a fan of Clark's books before they met, but once they got to know each other they became really close and I just loved their friendship. I want a whole book that is dedicated to their bromance...Their friendship is precious.

      I loved that this book wasn't focused on the romance, but was focused on the friendships and relationships that Andie developed. Andie's character, itself, developed really nicely throughout this book. The father-daughter relationship was everything that I could want in a father-daughter relationship. Her dad was so funny and driven. I loved his character. Palmer, Bri, Toby, Tom, and Clark were such great friends to Andie and I just loved it when they were together. (The scavenger hunt!) 

      The one thing that I didn't enjoy was that some bits were really predictable. I saw some of the plot twists coming, but the good thing was that Morgan Matson would add something that I didn't see coming at all. Because of that and because I enjoyed this book so much, I'm definitely giving this book 5/5 stars.    

If you follow me on Twitter, then you probably saw my fangirl-y tweets about this book and all of the read-a-thons that I've participated in. I've been tweeting more than usual because of these read-a-thons, so follow me to get all of those tweets!

Favorite Character: Clark
Favorite Ship: Clark x Andie
Characters I Want To Know More About: Tom, Palmer & Clark x Tom, Toby, Bri, Toby x Museum Boy

Morgan Matson Reviews

  • Amy & Roger's Epic Detour ~ 5 stars
  • Second Chance Summer ~ 5 stars
  • Since You've Been Gone ~ 5 stars
  • Broken Hearts, Fences, & Other Things To Mend ~ 5 stars (coming August 30)
Happy reading!

Olivia
~LivTheBookNerd~
@LivTheBookNerd on Books

No comments:

Post a Comment