Friday, December 21, 2018

{Graphic Novel Series Review #25-28} Picture Books



Hey, guys!

I read three picture books this year and I thought they were just so much fun. Here are my thoughts on these books. I definitely recommend them for younger readers. 


34228367

Page Count: 40
Published on: September 12, 2017
Published bySimon Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books
Genres: Childrens, Picture Books, Education (Language and Writing), Fiction
Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon

My Rating: 5 stars

Goodreads synopsis:

From E.B. White Read Aloud author Adam Lehrhaupt comes an inspiring new picture book that takes apart the pieces of a story—hero, heroine, setting, conflict—and asks the reader to put the story back together again. This is a good story…or is it?

As a child takes her pencil and begins to draw pictures for a story, the narrator takes her and the reader through a rollicking sequence of events in this classic tale of bad guys and townsfolk and dungeons. With simplicity and flair, Adam tells a story and then a meta-story of the parts of the story at once! This Is a Good Story is a wonderful primer on the parts of a story and an imaginative way to encourage creative thinking, writing, and storytelling.

~~~

This was such a fun book for educational use. My sister, who is studying to become a teacher, was gushing about the concept of this book and I had to check it out. This story basically breaks down the parts of a story in a way for children to learn about them in an engaging and entertaining way. As an English major, this book made me so happy. I loved this book. I think that it should be used in school curriculum regularly. 


127058

Page Count: 32
Published on: April 1, 2006
Published byHMH Books For Young Readers
Genres: Childrens, Picture Books, Animals, Nonfiction
Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon

My Rating: 3 stars

Goodreads synopsis:

Set during the devastating tsunami of 2004, MAMA is the touching true story of a baby hippo that was separated from his mother when the wave hit. After struggling alone for several days, the baby was rescued by Kenyan wildlife officers and brought to live in an animal refuge. There, all by himself, he adopted a new "mother"--that just happened to be a 130-year-old giant male tortoise. And they've been inseparable ever since.

Although MAMA takes place against the backdrop of a terrible human tragedy, at the heart of this story is a moving and original tale of adoption--and of finding love and companionship in the least likely of circumstances. 

~~~~

I picked this picture book up on a whim while on my break at my job at the library. I thought this was so touching. I loved the art style and the overall story. I loved the story of the baby hippo and I loved the pictures at the end of the book that tied it all together. The art style was so nice and the color scheme was probably my favorite part of the book.


20821299

The Book With No Pictures by B.J. Novak

Page Count: 32
Published on: April 1, 2006
Published byHMH Books For Young Readers
Genres: Childrens, Picture Books, Animals, Nonfiction
Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon

My Rating: 3 stars

Goodreads synopsis:

A book with no pictures? 
What could be fun about that?
After all, if a book has no pictures, there's nothing to look at but the words on the page. 
Words that might make you say silly sounds... In ridiculous voices...
Hey, what kind of book is this, anyway?


~~~

I picked this book up for three minutes at a super market and quickly zoomed through it. I thought that this was a super fun and quirky children's book. I know B.J. Novak from the Office and from some videos on YouTube, but I was really suprised to see his name on a children's book. I'm actually quite impressed with the cleverness of this book 


18295821

The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend by Dan Santat

Page Count: 40
Published on: April 8, 2014
Published byLittle Brown Books For Young Readers
Genres: Childrens, Picture Books, Fiction, Fantasy
Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon

My Rating: 3 stars


Goodreads synopsis:

This magical story begins on an island far away where an imaginary friend is born. He patiently waits his turn to be chosen by a real child, but when he is overlooked time and again, he sets off on an incredible journey to the bustling city, where he finally meets his perfect match and-at long last-is given his special name: Beekle.

New York Times bestselling and award-winning author and illustrator Dan Santat combines classic storytelling with breathtaking art, creating an unforgettable tale about friendship, imagination, and the courage to find one's place in the world.


~~~

This story is super cute. Beekle reminded me of the little creatures from Doctor Who that were made up from fat in humans. This story is so colorful and beautiful. I loved the illustrations. I love the focus on the imaginary worlds of children and the real-life world. This was just really lovely and delightful. I recommend this for bed-time reading for younger readers (and older readers too!)


Which picture books are you jazzed about this year?

Happy reading and happy holidays!
Olivia
~Liv the Book Nerd~
Twitter // Instagram // Tumblr // Goodreads // YouTube // Bloglovin // Book Depository Affiliate Code


No comments:

Post a Comment