Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Teen Titans: Raven by Gabriel Picolo and Kami Garcia


42788199

Page Count: 192
Published On: July 2, 2019
Published By: DC Ink
Genre(s): YA, fantasy, comics, graphic novel, sequential art
Source: personally purchased
Where To Find It: Amazon // Book Depository 

My Rating: 4 stars












Goodreads synopsis:

When a tragic accident takes the life of 17-year-old Raven Roth's foster mom--and Raven's memory--she moves to New Orleans to recover and finish her senior year of high school.

Starting over isn't easy. Raven remembers everyday stuff like how to solve math equations and make pasta, but she can't remember her favorite song or who she was before the accident. And when impossible things start happening, Raven begins to think it might even be better not to know who she was before.

But as she grows closer to her new friends, her foster sister, Max, and Tommy Torres, a guy who accepts her for who she is now, Raven has to decide if she's ready to face what's buried in the past...and the darkness building inside her.



~~~

Hey, guys!


I originally was provided an ARC on NetGalley for this graphic novel, but I was unable to access the file no matter how hard I tried. After a couple of days, the book was released and I pretty much ignored my bank account and bought the book. I definitely wasn't disappointed. I'm so excited to continue to support Gabriel Picolo and his artistic endeavors. His art is so beautiful and exciting. 

I've been a fan of the DC superhero group - the Teen Titans - for the majority of my life. Though I'm more of Marvel fan, I still consume some of the DC work from time to time. I tend to stick to Aquaman, Wonderwoman, Catwoman, and the Teen Titans and whatever comes from their respective canons. I'm not well versed in the DC universe, but I still like some of what they've released. From the animated Teen Titans TV show from the early 2000s (NOT Teen Titans Go), to the comics that are so iconic and fun to the new material that has been gradually been released -- the characters have always been a staple in my (still limited) DC Comics consumption. 

Garcia has been such a big name in the YA world. I've never really been a fan, but I'm really pleased with the story in Raven. Raven is one of my favorite characters and I'm really eager to see where her story goes in these graphic novels. This graphic novel was a really fun look into her character, but it was still quite underwhelming. I had hoped for a more solid story line, but it just wasn't the tea. The ending was very flat and I just felt like the writing itself wasn't that great. 

However! I feel like the artwork really carried this graphic novel. Picolo is so freaking talented and every line, every bit of his art was flawless. He did such a fantastic job! I've followed Picolo on social media for quite a long time and I couldn't be more pleased with his work in Raven. This graphic novel was excellent. If you enjoy the Teen Titans, you'll like this graphic novel.

Overall, I had hoped for more from the story, but the art really boosted the entire package. 


Happy reading!
Olivia
Liv the Book Nerd ~



No comments:

Post a Comment