Wednesday, May 13, 2020

{Review} A Heart of Blood & Ashes (A Gathering of Dragons #1) by Milla Vane


46181011

Page Count: 560

Published On: February 4, 2020

Published By: Berkley Romance

Genre(s): Adult romantic fantasy

Source: mass-market paperback personally purchased/listened to for FREE on Hoopla


Where To Find It: Amazon // Book Depository


My Rating: 3.5 stars

 

Goodreads synopsis:

A generation past, the western realms were embroiled in endless war. Then the Destroyer came. From the blood and ashes, he left behind, a tenuous alliance rose between the barbarian riders of Parsathe and the walled kingdoms of the south. That alliance is all that stands against the return of an ancient evil--until the barbarian king and queen are slain in an act of bloody betrayal.

Though forbidden by the alliance council to kill the corrupt king responsible for his parents' murders, Maddek vows to avenge them, even if it costs him the Parsathean crown. But when he learns it was the king's daughter who lured his parents to their deaths, the barbarian warrior is determined to make her pay.

Yet the woman Maddek captures is not what he expected. Though the last in a line of legendary warrior-queens, Yvenne is small and weak, and the sharpest weapons she wields are her mind and her tongue. Even more surprising is the marriage she proposes to unite them in their goals and to claim their thrones--because her desire for vengeance against her father burns even hotter than his own... 

 

~ ~ ~

 Hey, guys!

I'm really not sure how to review this book... I enjoyed many aspects of it, but there was a lot that I couldn't mesh with. There was so much to unpack on every page and it definitely wasn't the easy read I was looking to start 2020 Tome Topple with... Granted, that isn't a bad thing at all, but I've been reading so many historical romances lately, that this was almost a culture shock (even though I absolutely adore fantasy).

I really wish that GR would implement the 1/2 and 1/4 stars. This book is probably going to get 3.5 stars because there was a lot that I liked, but not enough to give it 4 stars. I wish I had loved this more because it's definitely my jam.

This was recommended to me by the lovely Taylor from BaeCrate and other wonderful members of the BaeClub/BaeCrate group on Facebook. When the blurb mentioned "dragons" and a marriage of convenience, I needed it. This was also my first dip into the romantic fantasy genre. I've read quite a lot of fantasy/high fantasy novels WITH romance, but this novel had a focus on the romance that was being developed throughout. Before, I really didn't think I liked romance-heavy stories, but now I'm converted, and I can't wait to read more. This was a really enjoyable novel, but it had some flaws that I just didn't jive with.

For one thing, I didn't feel like the characters were written as well as they could be. When I was reading or listening, it just felt like they were missing an extra element that would have allowed me to be connected to them or care about what they really did. I wasn't INVESTED. When really lovely characters that I enjoyed got hurt or died, I didn't feel anything at all...which breaks my heart! I wanted to care! Maybe it was because of the different writing style they used, but I couldn't connect with the main couple at all. Whenever I would be on the edge of my seat, the next scene would just lose me. I was bored quite a lot in this book because it would go off on a tangent/info-dump that I didn't want to know about then. I really just wanted a lot more of the characters.

This was a deliciously slow-building romance. I was dying for Yvenne and Maddek to interact and just TALK and hash out their feelings, but they were stubborn as heck -- especially Maddek. Maddek was so hot, but such a stubborn meathead. GRANTED, for the entire book he is grieving for the loss of his parents and struggling to move past the anger and hurt that he's faced because of the lies that are spread about their demise, but holy cow. He can go from being such a sweetheart to a royal dick within a page. I loved it. Yvenne was so stubborn and fit him so well. I loved how she stood up for herself consistently and didn't let the alphaholes step all over her when they thought they knew what was best. She was so wise beyond her years and didn't allow the terrible terrible things that happened to her define how she served her people. She was such a well-developed character. She had her flaws and shortcomings and she wasn't physically able to do all that was expected of her (cue the abuse), but she worked past it to do all that she possibly COULD do. [ Additionally, I loved that Maddek didn't stop her from attempting to push her limits, but when she did push them too far, he would counsel her and help her heal from whatever she did. He didn't know it until it was screamed at him, but holy crap he's such a softy for Yvenne. (hide spoiler)]

ALSO! The side characters were so lovely. I wanted so much more from them. I wish they had been described more -- PHYSICALLY! I have no idea what they look like at all other than vague and general descriptors -- gender, beards, general conversational vibes. I also couldn't keep track of all the names a lot of the time. That's probably on me, but I wish there had been a list of characters or some sort of character art for me to refer to. Someone, please send me all of the fanart. If there isn't fanart, can someone artistically inclined make some? Pretty please?

It's so obvious to me that this author has so much talent and I loved the complexities of her world and the complexities of her characters. There is so much skill that was put into their setting, world-building, and the political aspects that came with such a complex world. However, it was hard to stay immersed if I couldn't connect with the characters. There were so many great lines and conversations, but I felt like the characters were overshadowed by the world and the info-dumping that tended to occur throughout.

I'm excited to read the second book in the series. I really liked how the story developed and progressed. I just wish that there had been more physical descriptions of the book and more character interaction.

The issues that I had with this story, I think, are because of my own preferences. I prefer to read character-based stories. Take it how you will. I'm not trying to bash the book. I really did like it.


Happy reading!

Olivia

~ Liv the Book Nerd ~

Twitter // Instagram // Tumblr // Goodreads // YouTube // Bloglovin // Book Depository Affiliate Code // Ko-Fi // Book of the Month

 


No comments:

Post a Comment