Thursday, January 21, 2016

Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer

12283261
Page Count: 
Published on: 
Published by: 
Genre(s):  YA, Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Romance, Contemporary
Source: Print: Paperback
Age Rating: PG-13

Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon

Twitter@jodipicoult

My Rating: 5 stars










Goodreads synopsis:

      Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.
      And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.
      A romantic and charming story, this companion novel to Off the Page will make every reader believe in the fantastical power of fairy tales.




~~~
Hey guys!

     I have this huge TBR pile of about 30 un-read books that I have aquired this year, and when I gathered up all of the books to try to figure out what I would read next...I got really overwhelmed. I sent a picture to some of my friends and the first friend that responded was my friend Courtney. She told me to read Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer, because she adores Jodi Picoult's writing, and she's been telling me to read her books since the My Sister's Keeper review that she did. I bought this book during the Black Friday sale that BookOutlet had at the end of November, and I didn't recieve it until early-December. I've been really interested in this book for a while now, because it kind of reminded me of a Tumblr post that discussed an idea that someone had that was very similar to the premise of this book, and I was hoping of the best when purchasing this book.

     This book follows a lonely girl named Delilah who prefers books over people. When she finds the fairy tale Between the Lines in her school library, she finds herself repeatedly reading the story and obsessing over the characters, the story, and especially the main character Prince Oliver. One day, Oliver speaks to Delilah, and it turns out that he wants out of the story. He isn't happy, and he wants to meet Delilah and to escape the "predetermined" life that was written for him. 

      This book was really cool, and I really liked how it was set up. Each section/chapter was separated into 3 parts. The first part was a section of the fairy tale, Between the Lines. The second part of the chapter was told in Oliver's point of view, and the third part was in Delilah's point of view. There were also some really beautiful illustrations that are featured before each section that corresponded with what was happening in the fairy tale. Another cool part of this book that I loved was that each section and point of view had different colored fonts. The fairy tale sections had a black font, Oliver had a green font, and Delilah had a blue font. To be honest, this just added to the fantastic-ness of this book. This whole book was gorgeous.

    I found this book to be a bit insta-lovey, but in the same way, I really liked how Delilah didn't get completely ridiculous when she finally met Oliver. I loved how she didn't allow Oliver to escalate the situation, and she doesn't just reject him, she explains that she is a 15 year old girl and she wants to get to know him before anything ridiculous happens. THANK YOU DELILAH FOR BEING RATIONAL! I really liked Delilah's character, I could really relate to her logic that revolves around reading and Disney movies. This book focuses a lot on the characters, and I really love that. I feel really close to these characters, and I love every single one of them. The one character that I really want to get to know better....actually now that I think about it, I really want to know the back stories of the characters in Between the Lines and I really want to know more about Delilah's best friend, Jules. I really want to know more about her, she sounds awesome.

      This book is really cute, really fluffy, and really magical, and original. I really really recommend that you read it. If you love fairy tales and fluffy romance and magical worlds then you would love this. As soon as I finished this, I made a screechy noise and told my grandma that I needed the companion novel...she rolled her eyes. Oh whale. Also, I'm on the struggle bus. I thought my school library had the companion, but when I went back it didn't...so...now I'm going to wait...because I need to make a dent in my giant TBR pile before I go to the library. I'll probably go in February and check out Off the Page & The Invasion of the Tearling...Guys I'm basically writing out my plans...Oh well.
Favorite Character(s): Oliver & Delilah...but also Frump. He was so cute!
My Ship(s): Delilah x Oliver & Frump x Seraphima
I hope you enjoyed this review! Stay safe in this freaky weather!
Happy Reading!
Olivia
~livthebooknerd~ Twitter // Instagram // Tumblr // Goodreads // Bloglovin


No comments:

Post a Comment