Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Dealing With Dragons (The Enchanted Forest Chronicles #1) by Patricia C. Wrede


Page Count: 212
Published on: November 1, 2002

Published by: Books For Young Readers
Genre(s): YA, Fantasy, Children's, Middle Grade, Humor
Source: Hardback
Age Rating: PG

Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon

My Rating: 3.5 stars












Goodreads synopsis:

Cimorene is everything a princess is not supposed to be: headstrong, tomboyish, smart - and bored. So bored that she runs away to live with a dragon - and finds the family and excitement she's been looking for.


~~~

Hey guys!

     My friend Donovan lent me a bind up of The Enchanted Forest Chronicles a couple weeks ago, and I pretty much went into it blindly. This book is about a princess who doesn't want to be a princess. She runs away to live with a dragon, and in the process she tries to discourage the knights from "rescuing" her. This is a really funny middle grade fantasy story. The characters were super cute, and and I really liked the way the series was going. Even though the story was really short and definitely written for a younger audience. 
   
      Cimorene was a very engaging and modern character. Her constant goal of being more that she's made out to be was such an admirable trait in a heroine. She was so sassy and hardworking, I really loved her as a character. What really irritated me was how stupid the other human characters were. I didn't like how blindly they followed what everyone else did, but I guess that's just apart of the story. 

      The beginning of the story sucked me in really quickly, but as I got into the middle of the book, I got really frustrated. There wasn't any sense of peril, and the characters were never in any real danger. The magic, world building, and character building was all there, but there wasn't anything dangerous about it that made me rush to find out what happened next. Usually a 200 page book takes me a couple hours, but this book had me going for a couple days. The middle was just very bland, and it didn't hook me much at all. I had to force myself to finish the last 75 pages. The last 25 pages were really gripping, and I really liked how it was ended, but for some reason I had to force myself to finish the middle part. I feel like Wrede could have expanded more on her whole world, and I saw a lot of potential with a larger story. 

     This wasn't a 5 star book for me, but I feel like a 10 year old me would love it. It was pretty entertaining, and the characters were really cute. I don't know if I'll pick up the next three books, I may just ask my friend what happens. I also don't it was what I needed at the moment. I didn't read it because I wanted to at that time. I read it because I felt guilty for not reading my friend's book sooner. I don't like to keep books to long, when people lend them to me. That's not that relevant to the review, but there's my reasoning. 

My Favorite Character: Cimorene
My Least Favorite Character(s): Cimorene's parents and the knights


Happy Reading,
Olivia
~livthebooknerd~


No comments:

Post a Comment