Monday, May 20, 2019

eBook-a-Thon 2019 Reading Wrap Up


Hey, guys!

This past week was such a fun week of ebook-reading. I didn't really enjoy the majority of the books that I read, but it was still a pretty nice reading week. I finished 5 books and started two more. 

4407607244076710

4408172144478088



Fae's Captive (#1) by Lily Archer 
2.5 stars


    This novella has a lot of potential to be a fantastic (but still cheesy) romance novel. There's an immense lack of depth in the characters, the plot, and the world. I wish that there had been more description, less cringe-y dialogue, and more world building. The characters just accept that things are happening, when a realistic and well thought out character would question everything. The explanation that a good fantasy novel would have is not there. The author is too focused on being mysterious and keeping things for "twists" when it's a perfect place to add some explanation. I constantly found myself annoyed with the lack of explanation. 


    I can see the passion behind this story and the characters, but there needs more work, more beta readers with actual experience, and a good editor. I'd love to be this author's editor. It'd be so fun. 

    ALSO the use of "creamy thighs" needs to be ERADICATED from any novel. NO. GROSS! No more of that, please.

    Though this book was SO flawed and too short, I'm going to read the rest of the series. They're under 150 pages each and really fast. We will see how this goes.



    Road to Winter (Fae's Captive #2) by Lily Archer

    2 stars
    Bite of Winter (Fae's Captive #3) by Lily Archer 
    2 stars
    Beyond the Mountain (Fae's Captive #4) by Lily Archer 
    2 stars

    As I continued to read the rest of these books, I continuously lost hope for any potential that this series would improve. 
    The author over-explains, switches between modern and older vernacular, inconsistent writing, missing scenes and information, unrealistic sex scenes and emotions surrounding the scenes, and convenient plot additions.

    I think I will be posting a full series review in the future. I just have a lot of thoughts and not a lot of them are positive. 


    40969415

    Waiting on Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfrey 
    3 stars 

    This was a fun idea for a contemporary, but I found the constant and repetitive references to the iconic rom-com movies eventually became really annoying. I also really didn’t like the main character. The side characters and love interest were the best parts of the story. The “twist” at the end of the book was really random as well. I think this story has a lot of potential but it wasn’t 5-star material for me. I’m sure that a rom-com fanatic would love this book. Overall, the book was fun and a lovely love letter to the romantic comedy movie genre. It made me laugh many times. 


    4489104741147279
    I also read around 47% of On Dublin Street by Samantha Young and about 83 pages (~22%) of Again, But Better by Christine Riccio. 



    Did you participate in the ebook-a-thon? What did you read and what did you think of your books?

    Happy reading, guys!
    Olivia
    ~Liv the Book Nerd~
    Twitter // Instagram // Tumblr // Goodreads // YouTube // Bloglovin // Book Depository Affiliate Code


    No comments:

    Post a Comment