Tuesday, February 14, 2017

The Kingdom of Oceana by Mitchell Charles

28129039
Page Count: 222 Published on: November 27, 2015 Published by: Butterhorse Media Genre(s): Fantasy, YA, Historical Fiction, Action Source: Print: Paperback -via author Age Rating: YA
Where To Find It: Goodreads // Amazon
Free on Kindle Unlimited!
Book Website: {click here}
My Rating: 2 stars




Goodreads synopsis:

SURFER SHARK TAMER FIRE WALKER EXPLORER TEENAGER HERO Five Centuries Ago, On the Island Now Called Hawaii, There was a Kingdom Filled with Adventure, Beauty, and Magic. When 16-year-old Prince Ailani and his brother Nahoa trespass on a forbidden burial ground and uncover an ancient tiki mask, they unleash a thousand-year-old curse that threatens to destroy their tropical paradise. As warring factions collide for control of Oceana, it sparks an age-old conflict between rival sorcerers that threatens to erupt-just like Mauna Kea, the towering volcano. With the help of his ancestral spirit animals, his shape shifting sidekick, and a beautiful princess, Prince Ailani must overcome his own insecurities, a lifetime of sibling rivalry, and a plague of cursed sea creatures brought forth by the tiki's spell. Can peace be restored to the kingdom? Can Prince Ailani claim his rightful place as the future king of Oceana? ONLY ONE CAN RULE.


~~~


Hey, guys!

      I was sent this book for an honest review

      I was actually really excited to get into this book. I had just seen Moana when I was contacted and asked to review this book. This book was described as something just like Moana and excited for something that would capture the feelings that Moana made me feel I gladly accepted. Unfortunately, this book did not live up to my expectations. As you can see from my rating, I wasn't impressed. This book had the potential to be pretty good, but I just kind of lacked everything that would have made it a great fantasy novel.

      This book had the potential to be really interesting and had the premise to be a really great series. I had no connection with the characters and all of the main events that occurred seemed much too easy and predictable. The dialogue was so rigid and forced and it was just awkward to read. There were so many overused tropes that could have been written in a different way that wouldn't have been annoying, but unfortunately, it wasn't. The evil/awful sibling trope is so overdone and in this instance, it wasn't done very well at all. 
      I couldn't connect to the characters at all. They were just so blah and I didn't really care what happened to them at all. There was also insta-love/insta-attraction which was really annoying. There was no context for the whole story bored me for 99% of the time. I basically had to force myself to continue reading...I'm not sure why I didn't DNF this book, but it was on the brink of being DNF'd. 

      Overall, this book wasn't very great. The major plot points weren't resolved much at all, and when they were somewhat resolved, the different parts were lamely resolved. The magic wasn't interesting at all and I had a hard time believing any of the stuff that was said. I mean magic is totally fictional, but it wasn't developed well at all. I don't think I'll continue with this series. 

The only part of the book that I enjoyed was the setting. It was really cool to read a book that was set in Oceana. I'd love to read more books that take place there.

Happy reading!
Olivia
~LivTheBookNerd~

@LivTheBookNerd on Books


No comments:

Post a Comment