Tuesday, August 7, 2018

{Review} The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton

23197837
Page Count: 440
Published on: February 6, 2018
Published by: Disney-Hyperion
Genre(s): Fantasy, YA
Source: Hardback- personally purchased
Age Rating: 14+ TW: sexual assault 
Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon
Book Depository: {click here}


My Rating: 2.75 stars












Goodreads synopsis:

Camellia Beauregard is a Belle. In the opulent world of Orléans, Belles are revered, for they control Beauty, and Beauty is a commodity coveted above all else. In Orléans, the people are born gray, they are born damned, and only with the help of a Belle and her talents can they transform and be made beautiful.

But it’s not enough for Camellia to be just a Belle. She wants to be the favorite—the Belle chosen by the Queen of Orléans to live in the royal palace, to tend to the royal family and their court, to be recognized as the most talented Belle in the land. But once Camellia and her Belle sisters arrive at court, it becomes clear that being the favorite is not everything she always dreamed it would be. Behind the gilded palace walls live dark secrets, and Camellia soon learns that the very essence of her existence is a lie—that her powers are far greater, and could be more dangerous, than she ever imagined. And when the queen asks Camellia to risk her own life and help the ailing princess by using Belle powers in unintended ways, Camellia now faces an impossible decision.

With the future of Orléans and its people at stake, Camellia must decide—save herself and her sisters and the way of the Belles—or resuscitate the princess, risk her own life, and change the ways of her world forever.
 



~~~

Hey, guys!

       For this round of the book club, we read The Belles in June! I'm just going to be honest. I really wasn't impressed with this book. I felt like it was somewhat fast-paced, BUT it was also full of annoying characters and predictable twists. This just wasn't the best fantasy book in my opinion. I easily could have DNF'd this book, but I just kept pushing through because I was just barely interested enough to push through to see what happened at the end. 

    This story really had promise. I really enjoyed the world that Clayton created, however, the characters were just not fleshed out enough. I really wanted even more world building and the Victorian-esque style and more complex characters. I loved how it kind of took place in an alternate New Orleans. It was just super lovely to read about. The teacup animals were so fun. I really would love to see those animals in real life (without endangering their health or happieness, of course).

    The magic system in this book was really intriguing and terrifying. The people of Orleans are born grey and colorless with red eyes and straw-like hair. The Belles have the capability to completely reshape the people of Orleans. 

    Overall, I really didn't like Camille as a character. She was super whiny and super annoying. I just could not get behind her behavior. She just really rubbed me the wrong way. She has a major superiority complex and she just has a nasty attitude that I don't appreciate. 

    The romance aspect of this book was just cringe-y and unbelievable. I was just unimpressed and unconvinced. There was no chemistry between the characters and their personalities were just polar opposites. The actual "romance" that developed seemed forced and annoying. 10/10 would not recommend. 

     The mystery aspect of this book was also just so boring. I really wanted to be interested in it, but there was just so much more happening in the book and I got bored. It just wasn't incorporated as well as I would have hoped. It just seemed like an afterthought to Camilla. She just got so caught up in everything else. I wasn't a fan. 

    While it seems like I'm just bashing on this book, I will say that I really enjoyed the villain that Dhonielle Clayton created. She was truly the worst. I haven't openly hated a character in so long. She was so fun to root against. 
    
    Overall this book had promise, but I wasn't a fan. I don't think I'll continue on with the series. It would take a bit for me to read more of Dhonielle Clayton's future work, but I'm totally game to eventually read more of her stuff. Who knows. 

I hope you enjoyed this review!
Happy reading!
Olivia
~LivTheBookNerd~


No comments:

Post a Comment