Tuesday, August 14, 2018

{Short Stories/Novella Reviews} January-July 2018



Hey, guys!

     Short stories are always kind of awkward to review. Because they are so short and they aren't complete novels, I find it hard to write more than 100 words about my general thoughts. Typically, the novellas or short stories that I read are a part of other series. Because of this, the stories usually follow some aspect of the series that would spoil someone or something. This is why I won't go into too much detail when it comes to summarizing the synopsis and reviewing it. 

What I'll Be Reviewing:
~~~

Mini Review #1: A Visit to the Impossible Lands by Holly Black 



I really really enjoyed this little short story. This story focuses on the Roiben and Kaye Fierch. This story takes place both in the mortal world and the fae world. It follows the relationship of Roiben and Kaye and further develops the world that Holly has created. It also shows one of the final scenes of The Cruel Prince from their perspective. 

It was so much fun to get to know Roiben and Kaye in this little story. I absolutely fell in love with their relationship and I really really enjoyed how Holly has further developed her world. I'm so excited to read more about this world. I've had The Wicked King pre-ordered since early-April. I'm just too freaking excited to read it. I'm dying inside. I'm so impatient. 

My Rating: 5 stars

Other Holly Black Reviews:
The Cruel Prince {review}
The Darkest Part of the Forest {review}
Spiderwick Chronicles #1 {review}
Spiderwick Chronicles #2-5 {review}
Bailey's Series Review: The Spiderwick Chronicles #1-5 {review}
The Nixie's Song (Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles #1) {review}

Mini Review #2: The Demon in the Wood (The Grisha Trilogy #0.1) by Leigh Bardugo

24641800

Goodreads synopsis:

Before he became the Darkling, he was just a lonely boy of extraordinary power. Get a look into the past that forged a brutal and brilliant leader.

~~~

Oh, my goodness. This was so wild. I absolutely loved being in The Darkling's head when he was a young child. He's honestly so wonderful and I still really love him. I just really want more from him. I'd love to just read all of The Darkling's history. I just loved this novella. I highly recommend that you read this if you adore the Grisha world. 

My Rating: 4.75 stars

Other Leigh Bardugo Reviews:
~ Shadow & Bone {review}
~ Siege and Storm {review}
~ The Tailor {review}
~ Six of Crows {review}
~ Crooked Kingdom {review coming soon!}
~ Language of Thorns {review}

Mini Review #3: The Mirror & the Maze (The Wrath & the Dawn #1.5) by Renee Ahdieh

28668275

Goodreads synopsis: 

The city of Rey is burning. With smoke billowing, fires blazing and his people fleeing, Khalid races back to defend his city, and protect his queen. But Khalid is too late to do either. He and his men arrive to find the city in ruins, nothing but a maze of destruction, and Shahrzad is gone. But who could have wrought such devastation? Khalid fears he may already know the answer, the price of choosing love over the people of Rey all too evident.

~~~

Okay, this was free on Kindle, so of course, I had to pick it up. I absolutely adored The Wrath and the Dawn, but I really was disappointed by The Rose and the Dagger. I also wasn't too impressed with The Mirror and the Maze. I was kind of bored and unimpressed. Though the writing was gorgeous, the story was just too short to completely impress me. I absolutely adore Khalid. I love him so much, but I was just bored. It probably doesn't help that it's been a hot minute since I read TW&TD and TRATD

My Rating: 3 stars

Other Renee Ahdieh Reviews:
The Wrath and the Dawn {review}
The Rose & the Dagger {review}
Flame in the Mist {review}

I hope you enjoyed this blog post! If you'd like me to write more reviews like this, let me know! 

Happy reading!
Olivia 
~Liv the Book Nerd~


No comments:

Post a Comment