Thursday, March 7, 2019

{Review} Bloodleaf by Crystal Smith

40142462




Page Count: 384
Published On: March 12, 2019
Published By: HMH Books For Young Readers
Genre(s): Fantasy, YA
Source: paperback ARC - provided by HMH 
Age Rating: 16
Where To Find It: Amazon // Book Depository

My Rating: 4.5 stars 









Goodreads synopsis:

Aurelia is the first princess born to the Renalten crown in two hundred years, destined to fulfill a treaty by journeying to marry Valentin, the prince of Achelva – Renalt’s greatest enemy. Rumors of an unwell, cruel prince abound, and the only thing that eclipses Aurelia’s apprehension of her impending marriage is her fear of those who’d kill her to prevent it.

When an assassination attempt forces Aurelia to use forbidden magic to save a stranger, she is driven from Renalt by the witch-hunting Tribunal and a mob out for blood. But before she can claim asylum in the court of her betrothed, her travel party turns on her, forcing her to trade places with her treacherous lady-in-waiting, Lisette.

Now penniless in Achleva and bereft of her identity, Aurelia must decide if she wants to surrender to her new life or fight for her old one, all while navigating the complicated ties binding her to the enigmatic prince, the unquiet ghost of an ancient queen, and a poisonous plant called bloodleaf.

Aurelia is a pawn in a centuries-long game of love, power, and war— and if she can’t extricate herself from it before Lisette marries Valentin in her stead, she may face losses far more devastating than her crown.



~~~

Hey, guys!

    I was sent this beautiful ARC for an honest review. All thoughts and feelings are my own. Thank you HMH Teen for sending me the promotional package!

Trigger Warnings for rape, self-harm, war, intense violence

    If you guys have followed me for a while, you'll recognize that I am a massive fan of high fantasy novels with a focus on politics, magic, intense characterization, and fast-paced plots. I'm always jazzed to read a fantasy book that revolves around an arranged marriage -- I'm not sure why. I guess I'm just fascinated by the actions of the two people and how they respond to what they're being ordered to do. Marriage is such a special and sacred bond to me. I just love how girls/women respond to those situations, especially. Bring on the feminism! 

    Anyway, this book is pitched as a Goose Girl retelling, but I honestly haven't read that fairy tale. I read a minor synopsis after writing this review, but I think that this book absolutely stands on its own. The plot is so fantastically original and the characters and magic are so engaging. I loved it so much. 

    The book automatically drops us into the action and the political intrigue and discourse of Achleva and Renalt. I honestly loved the clash of the two kingdoms. The conflict wasn't particularly intense or complex, but it was still so much fun to read about. The characters really drove this book rather than the actual plot. Don't get me wrong, the plot was lovely and solid, but the characters really took the cake for me. I cannot wait to read the next two books to see what happens. This was just a fantastic introduction to a trilogy and a fantastic glimpse into Crystal Smith's writing capabilities. 

    This book was just so entertaining and fun to read. There were times where I would laugh out loud, and I totally cried toward the end. I need need need the sequel to this book. I'm so excited for everyone to get their hands on this book because they will be so pleased. 

Thank you, again, HMH for sending me an ARC copy!

Happy reading!
Olivia
~Liv the Book Nerd~
Twitter // Instagram // Tumblr // Goodreads // YouTube // Bloglovin // Book Depository Affiliate Code

Song Recommendation:



No comments:

Post a Comment