Thursday, June 20, 2019

{Mini-Reviews} Young Adult & New Adult Romance Novels!



Hey, guys!

For the past few months, I've been on such a romance kick --especially new adult and adult romance. I've just really enjoyed reading older protagonists. When it comes to new adult, I've really enjoyed reading romance stories about people in their twenties. Sometimes YA romance is just too young and cringy for my taste. Here are some of the lovely romance novels that I've read lately! 

344669104018967042201431

Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren 
4.9 stars 

Roomies by Christina Lauren

4.8 stars

The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren

4.75 stars

If you've been following my recent reads, you'll know that I'm becoming trash for Christina Lauren's books. They're so engaging and addicting. I always love the characters, the story, the romance -- everything. Those ladies just have the best writing style and the best characters. I'm so glad that I've been reading their work. I cannot wait to read more from them. They're my romance crack books.

If you enjoy slow burn, hate to love, and fake relationships turned real, you'll really love these books. They use such bleh tropes, but really make them fantastic. I particularly enjoy all of them, so they just take all of my money.



25883848

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne
5 stars

Another all-time favorite! Ugh! This book is just perfection! This is the perfect example of the hate-to-love trope. I can only praise this book because it's just so freaking wonderful. 

I definitely will be reading this again because I can't get it out of my head.



30312700

Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett
3 stars

I quite enjoyed this little contemporary, however, I really didn't enjoy the "talking on the internet, meeting irl, having crushes on each other, and allowing confusion to ensue because of the lack of communication" trope. I think that the confusion from that executed trope just added an extra element that wasn't needed. It would have been a much better fluffy romance without it. Overall, it was really cute and I liked the characters. The way that the author handled trauma, teen drug use, and safe and consensual sexual escapades was really nicely done. I love how sex-positive and healthy this romance was. It was also nice to read a hate-to-love romance that was written for teens. I'll definitely have to check out more of Jenn Bennett's work. 


27189194

One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid
4.8 stars

I loved this book! Taylor Jenkins Reid did not disappoint! I've read two of her works now and I'm just so freaking impressed with how wonderful they are. They're cheesy in the best way, but so original too. I didn't find myself guessing what would happen next and I really enjoyed the pacing. I also really loved the characters in this book. They were so realistic and so raw. Their emotions are so well done and I cannot believe that Reid did that...SHE DID THAT! I definitely recommend this book. I love it so much. 



40597810

Daisy Jones + The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
5 stars

Trigger/Content Warnings for: substance abuse/addiction and abortion

Guys! This book! It was so freaking wonderful. I absolutely love love love everything about this book. It's so iconic and memorable. I can't stop thinking about it, and it's almost been a full month and a half since I've finished it. The formatting of the story was so fascinating and the way that Reid connected each character's voice through their perspectives was so masterful. I do not think anyone could write a book like this again. Fantastic! I cannot wait to read more from Taylor Jenkins Reid and I cannot wait to get my hands on the audiobook and reread this book. I need to read it again.


36579299

Fight or Flight by Samantha Young
3.5-3.75 stars

Trigger/content warnings for: misogynistic comments about physical appearance, parental abuse, attempted sexual assault, abuse, domestic violence, cheating, talk of miscarriages and abortion, and slut shaming

I'm sort of on the fence when it comes to this book. It was fluffy, it was steamy, it was a bit mindless...but there are an equal amount of pros and cons to this story. I really enjoyed the enemies-to-lovers trope and the FWB aspect, but it was absolutely infuriating at times. I was so annoyed with these characters, but so completely invested in their story. I had to finish. This book could be read as questionable, but I did really enjoy it. 


32075853
Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal
4 stars

Last year, my boyfriend Alex and I went on a trip to Seattle where I got to present my academic work to a bunch of academic professionals. During our free time, we visited the Amazon Book Store and this was one of the books that we picked up. Alex read it right away and loved it. It took me a bit longer (who's surprised) and I also enjoyed it, though I read it via audiobook.

I really enjoyed the multicultural aspects of this story and I really loved the characters that developed throughout the story. The stories that the widows wrote were so hilarious and so steamy. Some of them were really shocking.

I definitely recommend this book to anyone. It touches on some important issues and concepts. I cannot wait to read more from Balli Kaur Jaswal.


What are your favorite romance reads? Let's discuss in the comments!

Happy reading!
Olivia
~Liv the Book Nerd~


No comments:

Post a Comment