Sunday, September 1, 2019

August 2019 Reading Wrap Up + September TBR


Hey, guys!

This month was surprisingly very productive! By the middle of the month, I began to get really slumpy because I was dreading going back to school. I hate the start of school but I love it so much at the same time. August and September tend to be my worst reading months because I'm trying to juggle my life, but still keep my sanity and not explode into a disgusting mess.

Here are the books that I read in August!



Caraval by Stephanie Garber ~ 3 stars
- This was a reread and I was honestly let down. I didn't love this as much as I did when it first came out. However, I will be continuing on with the series and I'm really excited to see where the story goes. 
reread via audio

Ziggy Stardust & Me by James Brandon ~ 3.5 stars

- This was such an impactful and powerful read. 

Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston ~ 3.5 stars

- This was such a wonderful roller coaster ride of a book! I cannot wait to get to the sequels! I absolutely adore Ashley Poston's writing and characters!
read via audio

Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell & Faith Erin Hicks ~ 5 stars

- This was the perfect graphic novel. Beautiful, fluffy story combined with gorgeous art and puns? Hello! Yes, please! This is the perfect fall story. I love love love this book!

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff ~ 5 stars

- This is one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read. Jay Kristoff is quickly becoming an all-time favorite author. I cannot wait for the release of Darkdawn and to get to Godgrave! This book was so phenomenal. 
read between e-format and physical format

The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen ~ 2.5 stars

- This was also another let down of a read. It isn't something I would normally pick up. I picked this up via audiobook, but I ended up finishing the book physically because I really didn't enjoy the narrator. Although this story was well written, the twists were pretty fun, and the characters were interesting; however, the story was just so slow and uneventful. I do not think I will read another book from these authors. 
read via audio

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab

- Well, I finally read this enchanting book! Who is surprised that I was completely blown away and in love with this story? 
started via audio (hated it), read 90% physically

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman - 4 stars

Another masterpiece. Granted, I docked the story a star just because I found the story's pace quite slow, but the content is so fantastic and I love Aziraphale and Crowley. I love them with all my heart. Not to mention, the mini-series is so phenomenally done. I absolutely binged it with the fiance before I finished the book. 10/10.
read via audio

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater - 4.5 stars 

- Another series that i started right before school started... then leading me to wait to actually continue the books because I do not have any time to read for fun now. 
read 90% via audio, finished physically


Dinosnores by Sandra Boynton ~ 5 stars

- This was graciously sent to me by the publisher. This is such a cute and heartwarming board book. I definitely want to acquire more books by Sandra Boynton for my potential child's future library. (No I'm not pregnant and I won't be for a hot minute. I am engaged, so now I'm trying to consider things for my future little family.)

Night of Knives (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #8) by V.E. Schwab, Andrea Olimpieri, and Budi Setiawan ~ 3 stars

- This was a bit of a letdown, but it was still good. The previous chapter to the story was so engaging and fast-paced and fantastic, but I felt like this chapter was just not that great. The pacing was so off, the characters were being cliche, and the art style wasn't shining through. The characters looked really similar to each other this time. 
I still cannot wait for more installments to the series. I love V.E. Schwab.
read via e-book through my library

# of Pages Read: 3,617
Physical: 5
Audio: 5
eBooks: 1

What did you read this month? What was your favorite book?


Happy reading!
Olivia
~ Liv the Book Nerd ~

No comments:

Post a Comment