Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic #1) by Tamora Pierce




Page Count: 252
Published on: June 24, 2006
Published by: Scholastic
Genre(s):  YA, Fantasy, Middle Grade, High Fantasy
Source: Print: Paperback
Age Rating: PG-10

Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon

Twitter@TamoraPierce

My Rating: 4.5 stars








Goodreads synopsis:

With her gift of weaving silk thread and creating light, Sandry is brought to the Winding Circle community. There she meets Briar, a former thief who has a way with plants; Daja, an outcast gifted at metalcraft; and Tris, whose connection with the weather unsettles everyone, including herself. At Winding Circle, the four misfits are taught how to use their magic - and to trust one another. But then disaster strikes their new home. Can Sandry weave together four kinds of magical power and save herself, her friends, and the one place where they've ever been accepted?

~~~


Hey guys!

      I have love Tamora Pierce's work for maybe 3 years now, and every book that I read of hers is just beautiful and addicting and just overall amazing. Tamora Pierce writes these amazing high fantasy series that have such strong and kick-ass female protagonists that you can't help but love. Her characters are so strong, fun, and diverse. Her setting is so magical, new, and fantastical. It's hard for me to describe my love for her in a way that doesn't make me totally geek out.

      In Sandry's Book, I wouldn't say that it focuses on Sandry as much as you would think. This book tastefully switches perspective between the four main characters; Sandry, Daja, Briar, and Tris. Sandry's potential, I would say, is kind of explored and the other three kids' magical potential is just a ripple in the puddle of their potential...if that makes sense. Sandry's story is fleshed out a tad more than Briar, Daja, and Tris's, I guess. 

Sandry: Thread Magic, of noble birth, orphan

Briar: Thief, used to be called "Roach", plant magic, loves plants

Daja: Trader, specializes in metalcraft magic, rejected, orphan

Tris: bookworm, bitter, specializes in weather magic, kind of reckless, sent away from her family

Supporting characters: Niko, Rosethorn, Lark, Moonstream, Dedicate Gorse, Frostpine

      I overall loved this book. I feel like if I hadn't been so busy with my finals that I probably would have liked it a lot more...probably so much that I would rate it 5 stars. That's the first reason why I didn't rate it 5 stars, but the second reason is that I was hoping for something equally spectacular to the Song of the Lioness quartet. I adore that series, and I was hoping for something more I guess. 

     This could be considered a middle grade quartet, but I also think it could be considered YA, just because the characters have experienced some heavy stuff. The spin-off series, The Circle Opens, and the stand-alone that ties both of those series together, The Circle Reforged, it could be considered a YA series. 

My Favorite Character: Daja or Briar
My Favorite Kind of Magic: Plant Magic
My Favorite Teacher: Frostpine or Rosethorn

I hope your holiday season is filled with joy and love. I appreciate and love my readers so much, so thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to read my reviews! I love you guys!

Enjoy!
Happy reading!
Olivia
~livthebooknerd~
Twitter // Instagram // Tumblr // Goodreads // Bloglovin  



No comments:

Post a Comment