Wednesday, July 11, 2018

{Unpopular Opinion} Why I Will Not Be Finishing The Mortal Instruments Series


Image result for the mortal instruments books

Hey, guys! 

      If you've been an avid young adult reader for long, you've probably heard of The Mortal Instruments series. The Mortal Instruments is a series of six fantasy YA novels by Cassie Clare. The series follows Clary Fray who discovers that she is a part of the Nephilim (half-angel) people called Shadowhunters. She is thrust into a world full of dark forces and strange creatures that she only thought were a part of fairy stories. Shadowhunters protect the mundane world from the dark forces that are infiltrating the world. 

     The Mortal Instruments series is one of the most popular series in the young adult genre, however, I've always struggled to push myself to give it a chance. While I do enjoy the paranormal and urban fantasy genres, there's always been something that's held me back from continuing on with this series. 

      Back in the late 2000s and the early 2010s, I remember reading City of Bones and enjoying it...but not enough to actively wait for each installment of the series. Fast forward to 2016 and I still have not caught up on the Mortal Instruments...but, I want to! I managed to acquire all six of the books in the series. Of course, I had to read them all and catch up to read Lady Midnight! Of course, I had to! So I read the first two books. City of Bones was quite enjoyable. I'd have to say it was 4 stars. My review from 2017 probably says otherwise, but it's a 4-star book now. City of Ashes was a 3-star book. I honestly did not like it as much. Fast forward to December 2016 when I try to start City of Glass. I get 45% into the book, I get bored, I set it down for 3 months, read 5% more, and then it sits on my currently reading stack...for over a year! 

      Yeah. There is no way that I'm going to force myself to continue this series. If I can just neglect to finish a book for over a year without any regret, then I'm not going to force myself to even continue this series. I'm just not interested anymore. I just do not like the characters or the writing style anymore. Clary is so freaking annoying, the angst between Clary and Jace is just gross to me, and I really do not care about anyone. Maybe I care about Magnus, but that is about it. I do not think I'll ever read the Bane Chronicles so, I just do not care. 

      I know this sounds a bit harsh. If you love these books then more power to you. They are just not for me. I'm sure that the good majority of people really enjoy these books. The main reason I was going to continue this series was that I valued the opinions of my favorite bloggers, reviewers, booktubers, and bookstagrammer that adore these books; however, I just won't force it. If I'm not enjoying them, I'm not going to risk the unhappiness, the grumpiness, and the reading slump that will ensue if I force myself to read them. 

This decision is just something that I've been mulling over for quite some time. If you don't like this decision...you'll have to suck it up. Sorry. You can read them for me.☺️

So, yeah. I was bored. So I'm not going to force it. Oh well. The world is still turning. I have lots of other books on my TBR to try to read too. 

Happy reading, everyone!
Thanks for reading!
Olivia 
~Liv the Book Nerd~
Twitter // Instagram // Tumblr // Goodreads // YouTube // Bloglovin // Book Depository Affiliate Code // Book of the Month Link

No comments:

Post a Comment