Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain*


Page Count: 327
Published on: 1884
Published by: Multiple Publishers
Genre(s): Classics, Literature, Historical Fiction
Source: School

Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon  

My Rating: 3.5 stars





Goodreads synopsis:

       Of all the contenders for the title of The Great American Novel, none has a better claim than The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Intended at first as a simple story of a boy's adventures in the Mississippi Valley - a sequel toThe Adventures of Tom Sawyer - the book grew and matured under Twain's hand into a work of immeasurable richness and complexity. More than a century after its publication, the critical debate over the symbolic significance of Huck's and Jim's voyage is still fresh, and it remains a major work that can be enjoyed at many levels: as an incomparable adventure story and as a classic of American humor.

~~~

Hey guys!

       So for the past 4-ish weeks my English 11 College Prep class has been reading Huck Finn in class...that's why I've been kind of busy during the actual week. (Laughs). I've discovered that I find it really hard to read something I have to force myself to read..duh..but I'd have to read 10 chapters in a week...which doesn't sound too hard...but when you have to read it by that Friday and then take a quiz over it...I found that that kind of rushed me..I mean it shouldn't have but it did... The book was really good, but I like to read at my own pace and I don't like schools forcing people to read something they don't feel like reading. On the other hand, I like the aspect that they're getting kids to read and to read something out of their comfort zone. I also love that at school we read classics and are introduced to really cool books. During my freshman year, in honors English, my class read The Pigman by Paul Zindel that I really loved. It's considered banned in some libraries and schools, but I absolutely loved it! I need to reread it and write a review :). Comment down below if you've read The Pigman and what you think of it!

       The reason I gave Huck Finn 3.5 stars was because I couldn't read it at my own pace, and I felt like I couldn't fully enjoy it as if I had read it at my own pace. I really loved the way it was written and the way Twain fabricated his character's personalities. I loved the scene with Jim and Huck discussing Solomon and his many children and their discussion on the many languages of the world, and how different people communicate and how animals don't use human language. 

       I didn't like how Tom was making everything difficult towards the end...he was really ticking me off...but I guess everything turned out well in the end. I also thought that towards the middle it kind of dragged on, and Twain kind of over described things.. like the Sheperdson's house..I had to skim read that part because it kind of bored me to tears...That sounds awful and really immature, but..yeah that's how I feel. 

       You guys really should read it if you haven't read Huck Finn yet. You will really benefit from it and it's not that difficult to read. You just have to get used to the dialect and their idealism. 

My Favorite Character: Jim or Huck
My Least Favorite Character: The King or Tom

Enjoy guys!

Olivia
~livthebooknerd~

*I had a different edition from this one

No comments:

Post a Comment