Thursday, September 29, 2016

Awaken (The Awakened Fate Series #1) by Skye Malone

22499730
Page Count: 248
Published on: May 29, 2014
Published by: Wildflower Isle
Genre(s): YA, Fantasy, Mermaids, Paranormal
Source: Paperback-- Sent by author
Age Rating: PG-13
Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon
Twitter: @Skye_Malone
My Rating: 3.75 stars













Goodreads synopsis:

Running away from home was never Chloe Kowalski's plan. Neither was ending up the target of killers or having her body change in unusual ways. She only wanted a vacation, someplace far from her crazy parents and their irrational fear of water. She only wanted to do something normal for once, and maybe get to know her best friend's hot stepbrother a bit better at the same time.

But the first day she goes out on the ocean, strange things start to happen. Dangerous things that should be impossible. Things to which 'normal' doesn't even begin to apply. 

Now madmen are hunting her. A mysterious guy with glowing blue eyes is following her. And her best friend's stepbrother seems to be hiding secrets all his own. 

It was supposed to be a vacation. It's turning out to be a whole lot more.


~~~

Hey, guys!

      The lovely Skye Malone sent me her book for an honest review. I was really excited to read this book because I was in desperate need of a mermaid book. I am always in the mood for a mermaid book, and this filled the void! Unfortunately, I didn't like this book as much as I anticipated. 
      
      Even though Awaken was really entertaining, it had a lot of cliche and predictable moments and some bits of the book were too convenient. The first bit of the book was really cliche and convenient and I really didn't like the beginning of the book. The side characters, Chloe's parents, were way too obvious. I think Skye was trying to be subtle, but it was just really really really obvious. It was kind of awkward and aggravating.

      Another problem that I found was that the characters weren't connected very well. Chloe and Bailey were supposedly best friends, but Chloe never acted like she trusted Bailey. Towards the end, they addressed her trust issues which was a good movie for Malone.

      Towards the later half of the book, it really picked up and got engaging. Although some of the plot points were still quite convenient, it was still really fun and interesting to read. I saw a bit of the drama coming, but I definitely did not see the very end of the book coming. I'm definitely going to read the rest of the series. I see a lot of potential in this series.

      Malone's writing is really simple but really entertaining and fun, but it was lacking the special something that makes a fantastic mermaid book. Her magical creatures are really interesting and unlike the other mermaid books out there. I'm always down for a new mermaid book, so I hope that I'm able to read her other books. 

Happy reading, everyone!
Olivia
~LivTheBookNerd~
@LivTheBookNerd on Books


No comments:

Post a Comment