Tuesday, October 4, 2016

{Review} Never by Shay Lynam

23280556
Page Count: 304
Published on: November 4, 2014
Published by: Indie World Publishing and Author Services
Genre(s): Fantasy, Young Adult, Retelling, Romance
Source: e-Book -- From author
Age Rating: PG-12
Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon
Twitter: @shay_lynam

My Rating: 4 stars









Goodreads synopsis:

      Wynn Harper spends her days trying to blend into the background. This isn't very easy, especially being the great-granddaughter of the late Wendy Darling. Wynn used to love Great Gran's stories about her adventures in Neverland with Peter Pan and his lost boys, but that's all they were. Just stories, right? That's what Wynn keeps telling herself. 

      But then she meets Peter, the beautiful boy with a voice to match, and when he whisks her off to Neverland, Wynn knows this is no fairy tale. The lost boys are a group of rebellious ex-pirates, young Hook has a soft side, and Peter Pan isn't as innocent as you might think.



~~~

Hey, guys!

     So, if you know me well or follow me on any of my social media, you would know that I'm kind of enchanted by Peter Pan. I absolutely love the story and I love the movies and retellings that people create. When Shay Lynam contacted me about reading her Peter Pan retelling I was so excited to read another retelling. I am so obsessed with retellings, especially retellings. 

     This book follows Wynn Harper, the great-granddaughter of the original Wendy Darling. When Wynn meets the real Peter Pan she is whisked off to Neverland where she encounters pirates, Indians, and learns that nothing is as it seems. I really enjoyed Never. It had been a while since I had read a Peter Pan retelling and I really enjoyed the main character's voice. This book had a lot of great qualities but there were a few issues that I had with it. 

      I really enjoyed Shay's writing style in this book. It was very whimsical and still quite dark like the original story. I had read Peter Pan before reading Never and I really loved how original the story was but it still incorporated the classic story really well. 

       The beginning of the story was kind of shaky, but it didn't stop me from continuing on with the story. Of course, the main character is different and dresses so much differently than the typical high schooler. The beginning was kind of cliche and you definitely knew where it was going. Some of the parts of the book were really predictable, but I looked past it because there were some elements that kind of made up for the cheese. The ending was really predictable, but Shay added some character depth towards the end that I really loved. I actually didn't want the end to happen. I wanted the opposite to happen. I actually didn't like how the ending was. I think that was the main thing that caused this book from not getting a higher rating.

       Wynn was kind of annoying, but such a badass towards the end. I really loved the bits where she was taking care of herself. I absolutely love it when the character makes up for their whiney behavior with some great badassery. I hate it when YA books enforce the idea that girls need a guy to be happy...Girls! You don't need a man to be happy! Boys! You don't need a girl to be happy! Don't let anyone cause you to be unhappy. <3 b="">

       Hook. Let's talk about Captain James Hook. I really wanted to like Hook's character, but he annoyed me too. He focused on stupid stuff rather than the important stuff. I mean I understand heartbreak. Trust me. I do. But, I really didn't like his whole revenge plot. His character at the very end of the book was really heartbreaking. I really liked him during the last few pages. I wish that I had liked him more, but I guess I was in a really irritable mood. 

Overall, this was a pretty good retelling and I look forward to reading more of Shay Lynam's writing. She has a really promising writing career. 

Books Mentioned In Review:
~ Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Other Great Peter Pan Retellings:

Hopefully, I have more time to read and review more. School is killing me!


Happy reading!
Olivia
~LivTheBookNerd~
@LivTheBookNerd on Books

No comments:

Post a Comment