Thursday, August 11, 2016

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

16101115
Page Count: 207
Published on: 1911

Published by: Puffin
Genre(s): Classic, Fantasy, Children's Fiction
Source: Paperback
Age Rating: PG

Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon

My Rating: 5 stars











Goodreads synopsis:

One starry night, Peter Pan and Tinker Bell lead the three Darling children over the rooftops of London and away to Neverland - the island where lost boys play, mermaids splash and fairies make mischief. But a villainous-looking gang of pirates lurk in the docks, led by the terrifying Captain James Hook. Magic and excitement are in the air, but if Captain Hook has his way, before long, someone will be walking the plank and swimming with the crocodiles...


~~~

Hey, guys!

     I have been a huge fan of J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan for a very long time, but for some odd reason, I had never fully read the whole original story! I am glad that I have. This story is so beautifully written, so creepy, so whimsical, so dark. J.M. Barrie includes details throughout the book that completes the story and explains the most well-known bits of the story that everyone knows.      

     This story follows the Darling children as they are whisked away to Neverland by the famous Peter Pan. While in Neverland, the children experience many adventures and have the time of their lives. If you have watched Disney's adaptation of the book, you would be familiar with the basic plot of the story. There are many plot points that are expanded upon in the movie, but there are also some essential plot points that were left out when the story has been adapted to the screen. The relationship between the parents, the children, and Neverland was really interesting. There's also a bit of the story that tells you why Tinker Bell is called Tinker Bell and I found that to be really cool. 

      The whole concept of Neverland was really interesting too. It was much darker than I originally thought. The connection that Neverland has with the children of the world was really fascinating and I wanted more. Is it fact? Is it fiction? The magic all throughout this book is so compelling and I desperately needed more when I finished the book. The ending was supposed to be happy and fun, but I was so heart-broken and sad! Very depressing...

     I also liked getting to know the Indians and Pirates and the beasts of the forest. That was really cool! I also really liked the focus on pretending and imagination. That was really cool.

     Overall, this book made me regret being 18 and I hate that I'm grown up. I had dreams all my life that Peter Pan would come to my window and take me away to Neverland...I suppose he actually did...but he took me home by the time I woke up...not cool Peter! 

Great Peter Pan Retellings:

I hope you enjoyed this review! There will be more reviews coming every Tuesday and Thursday, so stay tuned!

Happy reading!
Olivia
~LivTheBookNerd~


@LivTheBookNerd on Books


No comments:

Post a Comment