Thursday, August 18, 2016

[LivTheBookClub BOTM #1: Review] Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo


Page Count: 465 
Published on: September 29, 2015
Published by: Henry Holt & Company
Genre(s): YA, Fantasy, High Fantasy
Source: Hardback
Age Rating: PG-13
Where To Find ItGoodreads // Amazon
Twitter: @LBardugo
My Rating: 4.75 stars











Goodreads synopsis:

Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.

A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.

A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Kaz's crew are the only ones who might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.
 

~~~

Hey, guys!

      It's time to write out a full review for Six of Crows! It's been a couple weeks since the live show/book talk, and you may know about Julia & I's thoughts about the book, but for those who didn't get a chance to watch the live show or participate in the book club festivities, then here is the review for you!

      Six of Crows is a spinoff series that takes place after the Grisha trilogy that Bardugo finished in 2014. I really did like this book, but I had one problem, but it was more of a "me problem" than a book problem. Because I hadn't read the Grisha trilogy, I felt like I wasn't fully prepared for the Grisha world like I would have preferred. I was really confused for the next 80 to 90 pages, but once I got into it, I was totally loving the world. I can't wait to read the Grisha trilogy and be much more familiar with the world.

      The characters were really dynamic and each of them had a really interesting story and personality. Their backstories were so captivating and I didn't want to put it down once I got into it. My favorite part of the book was when they would have flashbacks that would explain their stories. They are such mysterious and interesting people, and I was desperate to learn more about them. 

      Some reviewers were expressing concerns about a certain characterbecause of how shadey he appeared, but once you get towards the end you get a bit of his story. I loved the way Leigh Bardugo wrote this character. So mysterious and so adorable. I can't wait to find out more about them.

      Leigh also does a fantastic job of creating unique names for not only her characters, but her cities, countries, etc. I love her writing and her style. The way she writes is so engaging and fast paced. I adored every minute of reading this book. I'm wondering why it took me so long to pick this back up in late-July. 

      There are so many potential-ship (relationships) when it comes to this book, but 3 of my particular favorites are:

Kaz x Inej
Matthais x Nina
Jesper x Wylan
Matthais x Nina are my personal favorite. I love their intertwining backstories, and I can't wait to see what happens next in Crooked Kingdom! I have so much that I want to discuss, but it's full of spoilers, so if you've read the book, then check out the book talk! It will be linked below! It's not the best book talk, but we're tweaking and perfecting our technique. We will get better as we keep doing more book talks, so bear with us!

BookTalk: {click here}!
Goodreads Discussions: {click here}!

~~~

I can't wait to see where this book goes. After doing the full spoiler bit from the liveshow, it's hard to go back to non-spoiler reviews. I hope this was a push to read this book! I highly recommend it!


Don't forget to check out the LivTheBookClub's next BOTM! We're reading Scarlett Epstein Hates It Here by Anna Breslaw

Click {here} to join!
You can also follow us on social media!
Instagram: @livthebookclub
Twitter@livthebookclub
Facebook: {click here}

Live Show date TBD! Check Twitter for the official date!
We hope you check it out!

Happy reading!
Olivia 
~LivTheBookNerd~
@LivTheBookNerd on Books

No comments:

Post a Comment