Thursday, August 10, 2017

{Review} The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy by Sam Maggs & Kelly Bastow

22926684
Page Count: 208
Published on: May 12, 2015
Published by: Quirk Books
Genre(s): Nonfiction, Feminism, Humor, Graphic Novel, Guide
Source: Hardback - personally purchased
Age Rating: N/A
Where To Find It: Goodreads // Amazon // Book Depository
Twitter@sammaggs & @Moosekleenex



My Rating: 3 stars







Goodreads synopsis:

Fanfic, cosplay, cons, books, memes, podcasts, vlogs, OTPs and RPGs and MMOs and more—it’s never been a better time to be a girl geek. The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy is the ultimate handbook for ladies living the nerdy life, a fun and feminist take on the often male-dominated world of geekdom. With delightful illustrations and an unabashed love for all the in(ternet)s and outs of geek culture, this book is packed with tips, playthroughs, and cheat codes for everything from starting an online fan community to planning a convention visit to supporting fellow female geeks in the wild. 


~~~

Hey, guys!

      This is going to be a pretty short review. I don't have much to say about this book, but that's just because I'm not used to reviewing books like this. *shrug* Overall, I was underwhelmed when it came to this book. I was really hoping for something much more...much..? It didn't have "muchness" as the Hatter would say. 

      This book was laugh out loud hilarious. I loved Magg's voice. She speaks like a fangirl...a usually grammatically correct fangirl. I adored her little bits about fangirl-speak, the profiles for the different fandoms, and the interviews with the different kinds of fangirls. I just loved the inclusion of the different fangirls and the emphasis on doing what you love. The whole discussion on being a fangirl was just so fantastic and had me whispering: "yessss! that's me!" at 11:30 in the evening. I was constantly sending pictures of my favorite bits to my boyfriend (he was at work or asleep so he either came home to a butt-ton of messages or he woke up to them...either way he was blessed). 

     The feminist message in this book was so great! It's pretty evident that Sam Maggs has the true meaning of feminism down. It was also great that she didn't push anything either. She had a great section towards the end, but it wasn't pushy. It really inspired me to think critically about the films, the shows, the books, etc. that I read. I loved the discussion the book could possibly inspire. Go, Sam Maggs!

     Some of the topics that were discussed were not very relevant to me, but I really did enjoy reading/skimming those sections. I'm actually quite interested in going to cons and such, but money. Cosplay? Yes please! Time? Sorry, I don't have much. This was just a super fun topic to read about. 

     Overall, this book was very informative and fun to read, but I did skim some sections that weren't relevant to my fangirl identity. This is a great book for those who want to enhance their fangirl image or for fangirls that want to grow and become even nerdier (in the best way!). 

Happy reading!
Olivia
~LivTheBookNerd~
Twitter // Instagram // Tumblr // Goodreads // YouTube // Bloglovin // Book Depository @LivTheBookNerd on Books Amino


No comments:

Post a Comment